Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195994 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17660 on: March 01, 2022, 11:18:33 am »
Oh, so you were paying attention to make sure that the 4-5000lb machines that could unalive you without breaking a sweat saw you and were reacting properly?? See, if there were more pedestrians like you, the stats would be even more negligible than they are right now.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17661 on: March 01, 2022, 11:24:16 am »
Oh, so you were paying attention to make sure that the 4-5000lb machines that could unalive you without breaking a sweat saw you and were reacting properly?? See, if there were more pedestrians like you, the stats would be even more negligible than they are right now.

The problem is that in some of those cases it could have gone the other way. Like the time someone stopped to let me go, and the car behind him drove around him (into a bike lane I might add) and then flew by me. Close enough that I gave his rear fender a good whack to let me know I was there. Hope I scared some sense into him.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: March 01, 2022, 11:26:55 am »
Interestingly, half of pedestrian deaths in Canada occur between November and March. Considering the likelihood that there's far fewer pedestrians in winter, it doesn't sound like being distracted is the primary cause of these deaths.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: March 01, 2022, 11:28:02 am »
Interestingly, half of pedestrian deaths in Canada occur between November and March. Considering the likelihood that there's far fewer pedestrians in winter, it doesn't sound like being distracted is the primary cause of these deaths.

Thats called mindlessly wandering in front of cars on icy roads, when its dark outside.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: March 01, 2022, 11:30:48 am »
Yeah, slippery surfaces and less daylight hours are likely to blame.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17665 on: March 01, 2022, 11:35:48 am »

Closest I've ever come to hitting a pedestrian was dark early morning in a snowstorm, the guy was walking down the rural road, well onto the pavement wearing black and with his back to me.  I have no idea how I missed him and still didn't put my truck in the ditch, ended up crossways on the road.   Got out and yelled my thoughts at him, then drove off.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17666 on: March 01, 2022, 11:39:37 am »

Closest I've ever come to hitting a pedestrian was dark early morning in a snowstorm, the guy was walking down the rural road, well onto the pavement wearing black and with his back to me.  I have no idea how I missed him and still didn't put my truck in the ditch, ended up crossways on the road.   Got out and yelled my thoughts at him, then drove off.
We have people that walk/jog down a unlit road around here wearing damn near a ghillie suit, I feel ya, seen a lot of close calls.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: March 01, 2022, 11:43:49 am »

Thats called mindlessly wandering in front of cars on icy roads, when its dark outside.

Your disdain for human life is gross, dude.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17668 on: March 01, 2022, 11:49:47 am »

Around here that's called sidewalks either buried under a 4 foot plow bank or a sheer glare or ice.  To be fair to the city they try but plowed sidewalks just don't bare out like roads even after being salted.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: March 01, 2022, 12:04:56 pm »

Around here that's called sidewalks either buried under a 4 foot plow bank or a sheer glare or ice.  To be fair to the city they try but plowed sidewalks just don't bare out like roads even after being salted.
Thats because of the huge windrows they leave. Either remove the snow, or leave it alone

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17670 on: March 01, 2022, 12:23:33 pm »
Considering how obsessed we are with the safety of people inside cars we're surprisingly blasé about the safety of people outside of cars. The pedestrian fatality rate in the U.S. increased by 21% between 2019 and 2020. Both vehicle design and road design are to blame for this.

This 100% plus many drivers that just don't give a :censor:. You can tell who walks/cycles and who doesn't just by their comments. It is well known in Ontario that if you want to get away with murder, just mow them down in a crosswalk as you will get a slap on the wrist.

Or how about only 2.5 years for killing a cyclist while drunk.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/drunk-driver-gets-only-2-5-year-sentence-for-killing-b-c-cyclist/

Sumeet Magnat’s blood-alcohol level was twice the legal limit when he struck the 53-year-old father of two. The crash occurred at approximately 1:30 p.m. on June 29, 2009. Magnat was travelling at 90 km/h, over 30 km/h over the the posted speed limit, when he swerved to avoid another car and hit Masala.

Magnat fled the scene, leaving Masala on the side of road on Gaglardi Way on Burnaby Mountain. When Magnat and his passenger stopped in a parking lot, security noticed bike parts stuck under the vehicle and called police.

There needs to be a better vulnerable user laws.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: March 01, 2022, 01:17:50 pm »
Considering how obsessed we are with the safety of people inside cars we're surprisingly blasé about the safety of people outside of cars. The pedestrian fatality rate in the U.S. increased by 21% between 2019 and 2020. Both vehicle design and road design are to blame for this.

This 100% plus many drivers that just don't give a :censor:. You can tell who walks/cycles and who doesn't just by their comments.

~

Absolutely. The only way to understand how vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists are is to try being one yourself. Your perspective will certainly change.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: March 01, 2022, 01:27:30 pm »

This 100% plus many drivers that just don't give a :censor:. You can tell who walks/cycles and who doesn't just by their comments.

~

Absolutely. The only way to understand how vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists are is to try being one yourself. Your perspective will certainly change.

Wife and I walk all the time and I own a motorcycle, I know about being vulnerable on the road. Minimizing your risk is definitely in your court though, I won't cut through traffic at three times the speed limit, I ride with the thought that everyone is a slack jawed steering wheel holder too busy on their phone to see me and when crossing a road, I keep my wits about me, because again, I have the most to lose. As for cyclists, Top Gear said it best

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17673 on: March 01, 2022, 01:37:54 pm »
Semi-conductor shortage is going to be exacerbated by the Ukraine/Russia conflict:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOlX6XmvTbM
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:40:19 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: March 01, 2022, 08:40:59 pm »
I just had my first pinch of nasal snuff since before Covid started. 

Blissful.....

Given what we know now, I probably shouldn't have stopped...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:43:23 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #17675 on: March 01, 2022, 11:04:18 pm »

Blissful.....

I actually had to Google nasal snuff lol. Never heard of it. Tried the OG snuff once in my life and yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: March 01, 2022, 11:15:48 pm »

Blissful.....

I actually had to Google nasal snuff lol. Never heard of it. Tried the OG snuff once in my life and yuck.

It's very, very old.

Usage is about nil in North America.

Still moderately popular in the UK.  Enough that there's still some production there....some in Germany too for their traditional moist snuffs (which are amazing, BTW)

I get my snuff from the Isle of Mann!!

Do I need to send you some to try??   ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #17677 on: March 01, 2022, 11:48:22 pm »

Blissful.....

It's very, very old.

Still moderately popular in the UK.  Enough that there's still some production there....some in Germany too for their traditional moist snuffs (which are amazing, BTW)

I’d be afraid to try it because I’ll probably like it!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: March 01, 2022, 11:55:28 pm »

Blissful.....

It's very, very old.

I’d be afraid to try it because I’ll probably like it!

You really might!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

The smell is sublime!! 

I'm doing Whisky and Honey tonight....one of my favourites.

You want some, I'll send some along. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17679 on: March 02, 2022, 03:59:13 pm »
Really short notice, but I just got notified of an interview for Branch manager on Friday.

I don't have much time to prepare....