Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195943 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17600 on: January 08, 2022, 09:51:39 am »
Who else thinks Canadian Tire and Princess Auto should have an anniversary/birthday card section?

I want one stop shopping
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17601 on: January 08, 2022, 11:34:00 am »
Who else thinks Canadian Tire and Princess Auto should have an anniversary/birthday card section?

I want one stop shopping
I try to avoid CTC
I just wish there was more PA around

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17602 on: January 14, 2022, 03:30:43 pm »
So, not only did we unexpectedly lose our design manager at the turn of the New Year, but now our Branch Manager's position has just been posted on our internal job posting website.  I've suspected for a few years that he was close to retirement, and indeed, he plans on retiring in 4-6 months.  Hopefully we find a replacement in time for an effective transition. 

And on that note... I am THINKING of applying for the job. 

I'm not remotely qualified, from a managerial point of view, having never created a business budget in my life, nor even ever held a management or supervisory position. 

HOWEVER, I've been in the industry for 14 years, and have a decent grasp on how our business works.  I'm a jack of all trades, and a quick learner - so I think I'd be able to adapt, and quickly figure out what I need to figure out.  I'd have the backing of a decent medium-sized company, and the expertise and staff that comes along with it.  Likely any time I have any doubts, there would be plenty of peers to turn to for advice.  I've always held good relationships with my customers, as well as with my co-workers - I think this shows that I'm able to maintain positive, constructive relationships with people. 

I dunno, maybe I"m just trying to talk myself into applying for it.  I'm still on the fence.  I'm just afraid that in this current job climate, upper management won't find somebody to fill the position, and come six months, we're going to be up :censor: creek without a paddle.  Or worse yet, they'll bring in somebody completely incompetent.  I may end up being incompetent at first, but hey, at least I know all the people I'd be working with, and how best they work.  Which person needs motivating, which person needs just being left alone, etc. 

I dunno, I'm so full of self doubt about it.  The truth is, in my industry, there isn't much, if any room for advancement.  Once you're a truss designer, there isn't any where to go.  I've always seen myself as a truss designer for life.  This may be an opportunity that doesn't present itself ever again during my career.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:32:25 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17603 on: January 14, 2022, 03:32:58 pm »
So, not only did we unexpectedly lose our design manager at the turn of the New Year, but now our Branch Manager's position has just been posted on our internal job posting website.  I've suspected for a few years that he was close to retirement, and indeed, he plans on retiring in 4-6 months.  Hopefully we find a replacement in time for an effective transition. 

I'm not remotely qualified, from a managerial point of view, having never created a business budget in my life, nor even ever held a management or supervisory position. 

HOWEVER, I've been in the industry for 14 years, and have a decent grasp on how our business works.  I'm a jack of all trades, and a quick learner - so I think I'd be able to adapt, and quickly figure out what I need to figure out.  I'd have the backing of a decent medium-sized company, and the expertise and staff that comes along with it.  Likely any time I have any doubts, there would be plenty of peers to turn to for advice.  I've always held good relationships with my customers, as well as with my co-workers - I think this shows that I'm able to maintain positive, constructive relationships with people. 

I dunno, maybe I"m just trying to talk myself into applying for it.  I'm still on the fence.  I'm just afraid that in this current job climate, upper management won't find somebody to fill the position, and come six months, we're going to be up :censor: creek without a paddle.  Or worse yet, they'll bring in somebody completely incompetent.  I may end up being incompetent at first, but hey, at least I know all the people I'd be working with, and how best they work.  Which person needs motivating, which person needs just being left alone, etc. 

I dunno, I'm so full of self doubt about it.  The truth is, in my industry, there isn't much, if any room for advancement.  Once you're a truss designer, there isn't any room for advancement.  I've always seen myself as a truss designer for life.  This may be an opportunity that doesn't present itself ever again during my career.

Go for it. Employees have the upper hand these day.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #17604 on: January 14, 2022, 03:38:02 pm »
Go for it. Doesn’t look like you’re taking a risk applying and it does sound like you’re interested and curious. There is the possibility it will increase your administrative overhead without a matching increase in pay. But you may be more satisfied overall.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17605 on: January 14, 2022, 03:40:16 pm »

I dunno, I'm so full of self doubt about it.  The truth is, in my industry, there isn't much, if any room for advancement.  Once you're a truss designer, there isn't any room for advancement.  I've always seen myself as a truss designer for life.  This may be an opportunity that doesn't present itself ever again during my career.

It's not about having the upper hand as an employee.  It's about whether I'm the right person to accept the responsibility.  And it's a LOT of responsibility.  This branch manager is directly responsible for 70-80 employees, including a 60-person manufacturing plant, c/w production manager and millions of dollars worth of equipment, and a 20 person admin/design team, again with a currently vacant design manager position. 

It's not a small branch, and not a small job.  I'm probably more likely to crash and burn after the first year, as I am at being successful.  Maybe that's just nervousness and self-doubt rearing its ugly head.  After all, the production manager is there to take care of the shop, right?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17606 on: January 14, 2022, 03:41:13 pm »
Go for it. Doesn’t look like you’re taking a risk applying and it does sound like you’re interested and curious. There is the possibility it will increase your administrative overhead without a matching increase in pay. But you may be more satisfied overall.

That's the thing.  There's zero risk to apply.  At the very least, I'll be able to find out more of what is required.  I can always take a few crash courses in business administration if I'm being seriously considered for the job.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17607 on: January 14, 2022, 03:42:55 pm »

It's not about having the upper hand as an employee.  It's about whether I'm the right person to accept the responsibility.  And it's a LOT of responsibility.  This branch manager is directly responsible for 70-80 employees, including a 60-person manufacturing plant, c/w production manager and millions of dollars worth of equipment, and a 20 person admin/design team, again with a currently vacant design manager position. 

It's not a small branch, and not a small job.  I'm probably more likely to crash and burn after the first year, as I am at being successful.  Maybe that's just nervousness and self-doubt rearing its ugly head.  After all, the production manager is there to take care of the shop, right?

By upper hand, I meant you make a choice and strong candidate, especially in light of others leaving. Whether you want the job or not is up to you of course.

But, as these things go, after one year your much more likely to settle into a grove, like any other job or thing you do.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #17608 on: January 14, 2022, 04:09:57 pm »
You've got nothing to lose by applying & like you've said you know the business & customers, so just a matter of learning the financial side of it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17609 on: January 14, 2022, 04:51:13 pm »
Just go for it, and become an amazing people leader!

Don't listen to all the middle management doom and gloom on here.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #17610 on: January 14, 2022, 04:56:01 pm »
Don't listen to all the middle management doom and gloom on here.  :rofl2:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17611 on: January 14, 2022, 05:02:53 pm »
Do it!  My BIL is the PM at the Calgary plant IIANM.  He's got that 60-80+ employees under him.  Been doing it for years.  Long way from retirement.  We got ya if you need a push!  ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17612 on: January 14, 2022, 06:36:41 pm »
Sounds like a great opportunity GBA!  From what I've read it sounds like you have enough experience and likely know a lot more than you realize.  Also, you already know the culture of the company and the players involved, which is a huge leg up, and it's obvious that you have the right attitude, which is the most important part imo.

My first job out of college evolved into a management position within four years of starting where I looked after 74 people at its peak.  It was the most satisfying and best job I've ever had by far, so no regrets there. 

My wife's older brother started the E-Commerce division of a large Canadian based company, which grew into a workforce of almost 700 employees by the time he left  to go on his own several years later.  It was a huge step up from his prior position where he managed a small regional newspaper/radio station chain.   He was really intimidated at first, mostly because he only had a college diploma from a 2-year program and many of the people assigned under him were Harvard MBAs and the like. 

I wouldn't sweat the education part of it at all.  You can always take online courses for any of the technical requirements of the position.  My current boss has barely a clue as to what my job involves and he manages ok.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:40:20 pm by KD »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17613 on: January 17, 2022, 09:54:46 am »
I'm doing it.  I spoke to my old boss over the weekend, and he thinks it's a great idea.  He was actually next in line for the job, and had he stayed on, would likely have automatically fallen into the role.  He thinks that my character would actually be a better fit for the job than his (I'm less of a technical mind than he, but more of a people person).  He confirmed that there is zero downside to applying, and even if I don't get the job, it marks me as a motivated individual in the minds of my higher ups. 

I'll be submitting my cover letter and resume today, and then we shall see from there.  I think that I at least merit an interview, and given the propensity of this company to hire and promote from within, I"ll probably at least get to that stage.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17614 on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:30 am »
I'm doing it.  I spoke to my old boss over the weekend, and he thinks it's a great idea.  He was actually next in line for the job, and had he stayed on, would likely have automatically fallen into the role.  He thinks that my character would actually be a better fit for the job than his (I'm less of a technical mind than he, but more of a people person).  He confirmed that there is zero downside to applying, and even if I don't get the job, it marks me as a motivated individual in the minds of my higher ups. 

I'll be submitting my cover letter and resume today, and then we shall see from there.  I think that I at least merit an interview, and given the propensity of this company to hire and promote from within, I"ll probably at least get to that stage.

Good luck man! Really hope you get it.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: January 17, 2022, 10:04:46 am »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17616 on: January 17, 2022, 10:20:27 am »

Good luck man!!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17617 on: January 17, 2022, 10:46:59 am »

Great decision, good luck!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17618 on: January 17, 2022, 12:41:09 pm »

Good luck, GBA.  I'm pulling for you!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17619 on: January 17, 2022, 12:47:32 pm »
Might as well get you started with the training:

How to Handle an Insubordinate Employee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moH1Dctkozw&t