Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195900 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17560 on: December 18, 2021, 06:39:17 pm »
Odd question - I had some religious folks or whatever these people are called, leave a bible on my doorstep. I was at work and Mrs. Hire didn't hear the doorbell, but found the book.

I have zero interest in religion, but feel bad throwing the book out, because it's a Bible of all things. What does one do with it? Obviously if anyone here wants it it's yours; I'll even cover the shipping.

If it’s a King James Version, I might keep it for its literary value.

Otherwise, I’d probably burn it and leave the charred remains on the porch as a warning to others.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17561 on: December 18, 2021, 07:07:32 pm »
The literary value.  Yes it is the King James version that contains all those quotes which many people use without thinking or even knowing where they came from.    Nearly as many as from Shakepeare.

I would put it in my Blue box.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17562 on: December 19, 2021, 12:38:53 am »
Odd question - I had some religious folks or whatever these people are called, leave a bible on my doorstep. I was at work and Mrs. Hire didn't hear the doorbell, but found the book.

I have zero interest in religion, but feel bad throwing the book out, because it's a Bible of all things. What does one do with it? Obviously if anyone here wants it it's yours; I'll even cover the shipping.

If it’s a King James Version, I might keep it for its literary value.

Otherwise, I’d probably burn it and leave the charred remains on the porch as a warning to others.

Like, I’m not religious so the bible is literally any other book to me, but… my parents are both huge readers and fans of all literature. I’ve always been taught to not damage a book in any way. And something feels icky to me about throwing out any religious scripture, whatever it may be.

Donation it is, I guess…
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17563 on: December 19, 2021, 05:38:49 am »
I was brought up never to damage a book.   

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: December 19, 2021, 08:11:53 am »
Who knew you could get a bill for calling 911 when you call from a different city you don't live in.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-shocked-after-she-got-552-bill-for-calling-911-1.5709157

That's kinda frakked....but it also sounds like she called 911 needlessly. 
Should have got the person who hit her car to do it.

In the moment though, why would you even think of that?

That is a ridiculously stupid fee. 911 should be free for anyone anywhere.

Hmmm...I don't think it was the 911 call so much as the fire truck and ambulance.  She got off good!  My FIL got a bill for $900 20+ years ago when my MIL called 911 when he had his aneurysm - health care is free - getting there via ambulance, not so much.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17565 on: December 19, 2021, 08:19:14 am »
Who knew you could get a bill for calling 911 when you call from a different city you don't live in.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-shocked-after-she-got-552-bill-for-calling-911-1.5709157

Hmmm...I don't think it was the 911 call so much as the fire truck and ambulance. 

I think it is protocol for them to send Fire and EMS to accident scenes.  I also think Fire gets sent to some house calls as they can do certain things EMS can't.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17566 on: December 19, 2021, 08:43:46 am »

Hmmm...I don't think it was the 911 call so much as the fire truck and ambulance. 

I think it is protocol for them to send Fire and EMS to accident scenes.  I also think Fire gets sent to some house calls as they can do certain things EMS can't.

Fire and EMS only go to accidents if you ask them to.  They were called and there were no injuries from what I gather.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17567 on: December 19, 2021, 08:59:49 am »

Fire and EMS only go to accidents if you ask them to.  They were called and there were no injuries from what I gather.

I believe Fire can be dispated to a house if somebody is having a heart attack (or something else very serious) because they can get their faster. They will do what they do until EMS arrives to take over and transport to the hospital.

With respect to the story, the person felt their children could have been inured due to the severity of the accident. Why wouldn't they call 911 asking for assistance. So much for better safe than sorry.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17568 on: December 19, 2021, 09:13:49 am »

I believe Fire can be dispated to a house if somebody is having a heart attack (or something else very serious) because they can get their faster. They will do what they do until EMS arrives to take over and transport to the hospital.

With respect to the story, the person felt their children could have been inured due to the severity of the accident. Why wouldn't they call 911 asking for assistance. So much for better safe than sorry.

Better safe than sorry can come with a bill now.
 I wasn't there, I have no idea if it was a bad crash and kids might have been hurt, or if it was a fender-bender and she over-reacted.  Doesn't seem to matter for the bill for EMS.
 I'd like to know if her insurance pays for it.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17569 on: December 19, 2021, 09:34:06 am »

^ This!  Absolutely absurd.

Reminds me of the 1800's when there were private fire companies. You had to be a paid up customer before they would respond if your house caught fire.

Why wouldn't Ontario municipalities just have reciprocal agreements for 911 services?   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:38:51 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17570 on: December 19, 2021, 09:37:12 am »

I wasn't there, I have no idea if it was a bad crash and kids might have been hurt, or if it was a fender-bender and she over-reacted.  Doesn't seem to matter for the bill for EMS.

But you only get a bill if you don't live in London so just make sure you get the other person to call. Besides, they hit you so it is the least they can do.

As for the accident...

Their vehicle was so badly damaged after the crash it was not driveable, and Davies said she was so concerned about her two young daughters after the impact they called 911.

Seems like a good reason to call 911.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17571 on: December 19, 2021, 09:45:37 am »

But you only get a bill if you don't live in London so just make sure you get the other person to call. Besides, they hit you so it is the least they can do.

As for the accident...

Their vehicle was so badly damaged after the crash it was not driveable, and Davies said she was so concerned about her two young daughters after the impact they called 911.

You don't call 911 for a damaged vehicle though.   If she thought her kids were injured, sure, call them and ask for EMS
I'm just saying, you don't have to call EMS to every accident.
(I also don't like the idea of having to pay for 911 services if not from the area, makes no sense)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17572 on: December 19, 2021, 09:50:54 am »

As for the accident...

You don't call 911 for a damaged vehicle though.   If she thought her kids were injured, sure, call them and ask for EMS
I'm just saying, you don't have to call EMS to every accident.
(I also don't like the idea of having to pay for 911 services if not from the area, makes no sense)

I agree with you but I can see why the person thought her children needed to be checked out. Accidents are scary if you aren't in them often.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17573 on: December 19, 2021, 12:30:59 pm »
A friend is a volunteer fire fighter , he has been take course so he can Administer drug to people , as they usually get to a scene before the paramedics

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17574 on: December 19, 2021, 10:13:04 pm »
This nightly marathon of formulaic Christmas movies on W channel can fack right off.  At least I can disappear to my music system to listen to some vinyl and drink.  On second thought, can we delay Christmas a little?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17575 on: December 19, 2021, 11:05:22 pm »
This nightly marathon of formulaic Christmas movies on W channel can fack right off.  At least I can disappear to my music system to listen to some vinyl and drink.  On second thought, can we delay Christmas a little?

Is it your wife that wants to watch em?  :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17576 on: December 20, 2021, 08:00:25 am »
Are the Christmas movies tugging at your heart strings and making you cry too much.  :rofl2:

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17577 on: December 20, 2021, 08:42:50 am »
 ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17578 on: December 20, 2021, 08:56:09 am »
My MIL will be joining us for Xmas.  That means the tv upstairs will be tuned to either the W-Channel, or that damn Retro channel, and hearing the theme song from Threes Company blasting through the house at least 15 times a day.  Yay!   ::) :P

Thank goodness for OTE headphones!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17579 on: December 20, 2021, 08:59:28 am »
and hearing the theme song from Threes Company blasting through the house at least 15 times a day.  Yay!   ::) :P

What? No Golden Girls or Alice  ;D