Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195720 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17380 on: September 21, 2021, 04:14:58 pm »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17381 on: September 21, 2021, 06:21:12 pm »
So,  I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I need an opinion about Wedding presentation:

My cousin and his fiance (who are from Winnipeg, but live in Vancouver) are getting married in May in Kelowna.  We plan on travelling from Winnipeg to Kelowna for the wedding.  Now, they both have really good jobs (he's an engineer, she works at a non-profit in Vancouver), but that sort of pales in comparison to the fact that her dad is very wealthy, with an annual salary of ~22 million a year.  Yeah, that's right.  That kind of money.  Her Dad will buy their first house for them, up to a million dollars, and he just bought them a brand new Ford Bronco Sport, no strings attached.  I suspect her Dad will also pay for the wedding.  Although my cousin comes from more modest means (his Dad was a doctor, so 'modest' is a relative term), suffice to say, my cousin and his fiance are not in any dire need of money, nor should they ever be (good for my cousin, though).

Rather than give them money for their wedding, my inclination is to make a nice donation to the local Winnipeg Humane Society in their name, and include the Thank You card in their wedding card. 

Thoughts?

“Presentation?” Is this the weird Manitoba thing? I remember another thread about it, but don’t remember any details except that it seemed bizarre.

But if this is a normal wedding, don’t they have a gift registry? If they do, then buy them something that’s within your budget. If there’s nothing on the registry that normal people can afford, then I say put some thought into it and buy them something modest but nice.

If they’ve said they don’t want gifts, but you still want to do something for them anyway, then the donation sounds like a nice idea.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mini really this dumb?
« Reply #17383 on: September 23, 2021, 06:30:08 pm »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17384 on: September 23, 2021, 08:49:37 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #17385 on: September 23, 2021, 08:54:15 pm »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: September 23, 2021, 09:14:49 pm »
Makes me crazy, but I guess you’re both right.  :P

Still, he managed to get all the way to the last sentence before screwing up. (Now I’ll have to go back and double check to make sure I didn’t miss anything  :rofl2: )

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17387 on: September 24, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »
This evening the fam (wife and stepson/daughter and myself) are heading out for a nice meal at The Keg, followed by a movie.  We're going to go see 'Free Guy'. 

It's been ages since we've been 'out' as a family. 

As an aside, it's been close to a decade since I've eaten at The Keg.  When the heck did it become so expensive?  Yowza!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:49:39 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17388 on: September 24, 2021, 02:51:52 pm »
This evening the fam (wife and stepson/daughter and myself) are heading out for a nice meal at The Keg, followed by a movie.  We're going to go see 'Free Guy'. 

As an aside, it's been close to a decade since I've eaten at The Keg.  When the heck did it become so expensive?  Yowza!

Enjoy! The Keg is not cheap, but I'd rather pay $80 a head to eat there than $50-$60 at most other chain restaurants.  I am super picky about steak doneness, so I always go with the prime rib (it's at least consistent).

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17389 on: September 24, 2021, 03:17:19 pm »

Enjoy! The Keg is not cheap, but I'd rather pay $80 a head to eat there than $50-$60 at most other chain restaurants.  I am super picky about steak doneness, so I always go with the prime rib (it's at least consistent).

Yeah, beef prices are way up there lately.  Wife and I went out for a nice dinner a couple of weeks ago at one of our of favorite places and I got the surf-and-turf, with tenderloin and lobster.  It was $17 more than last time i ordered it about a year and a half ago.  Oh well, it's the sign of the times.   :P  We still go out for dinner at least once a week now, but that's about the only thing we go out for the last few months.

Enjoy GBA!  :thumbup:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17390 on: September 24, 2021, 03:29:24 pm »

Yeesh, if I'm paying $80 a head I'm not interesting in hitting a chain.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17391 on: September 24, 2021, 04:07:05 pm »
I think the last time I was at a Keg was about 3-4 years ago and was disappointed. The food was OK but the decor felt like it hasn't been updated for 15 years. Plus all the tables felt crowded next to each other. For a few dollars more I can eat at a nicer restaurant, better service, and decor.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: September 24, 2021, 04:12:04 pm »

Yeesh, if I'm paying $80 a head I'm not interesting in hitting a chain.

Ruth’s Chris? Never eaten there myself, but I hear it’s good.

But I’m with you on avoiding chains in general.

Oh, and there’s Hy’s. Might be a western Canadian thing. Haven’t been in one in ages (are they still around?) but that’s a steak house chain that was really good.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 04:15:42 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: September 24, 2021, 04:43:29 pm »
Yeah, we have a Hy's here, too.  Didn't even think of it, truth be told.  Plus, my daughter has been bugging us to go to The Keg ever since her best friend went and told her all about it. 

So, Keg this time, Hy's next time.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: September 24, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »
Yeah, we have a Hy's here, too.  Didn't even think of it, truth be told.  Plus, my daughter has been bugging us to go to The Keg ever since her best friend went and told her all about it. 

So, Keg this time, Hy's next time.

To be fair, I don’t think Hy’s and The Keg are in the same price bracket.

Save the trip to Hy’s for a special night out with the wife.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17395 on: September 25, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »
The Keg is $80 a head? I don't think the food is good enough for that price.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17396 on: September 27, 2021, 12:46:54 pm »

I don't particularly think so either, but it's all relative.  It's not THAT much more than places like Boston Pizza that are just re-heating a bunch of prepared/frozen garbage.

In comparison to the steak and grilled veggies my wife and I enjoyed at home last night, I'm getting a raw deal the minute I leave the house  ;D 

But we don't host group dinners at our house, friends/family like to go out, and The Keg is the lesser of many evils.  And I still think it's pretty good, though there are many other things I'd rather do with my cash.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: September 27, 2021, 12:52:54 pm »

I don't particularly think so either, but it's all relative.  It's not THAT much more than places like Boston Pizza that are just re-heating a bunch of prepared/frozen garbage.

In comparison to the steak and grilled veggies my wife and I enjoyed at home last night, I'm getting a raw deal the minute I leave the house  ;D 

But we don't host group dinners at our house, friends/family like to go out, and The Keg is the lesser of many evils.  And I still think it's pretty good, though there are many other things I'd rather do with my cash.

It was more like $50/head.  But we got a starter to share, desserts to share, and a glass of wine each (the wife and I, at least).  Importantly, the kids got to feel like they were being treated.  The Keg is a slightly classier place than Montanas, which is our usual go-to for a family meal out. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: September 27, 2021, 12:57:17 pm »

It was more like $50/head.  But we got a starter to share, desserts to share, and a glass of wine each (the wife and I, at least).  Importantly, the kids got to feel like they were being treated.  The Keg is a slightly classier place than Montanas, which is our usual go-to for a family meal out.

The atmosphere is definitely worth something, that's for sure. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: September 27, 2021, 01:07:08 pm »
The highlight of the night was the movie, though.  We went to Landmark Theatres at Grant Park, which will mean something to Winnipeg peeps, but nobody else.  It was renovated before COVID, and honestly, I don't think we'll ever go to another movie theater other than this one, ever again, even though it's clear across town from where we live.

You see, the seats are like nothing I've ever experienced in a theatre.  You're literally sitting in a soft leather, power-reclining loveseat couch.  And you have like 6' of legroom in front of you.  You reserve your seats when you book your movie tickets, so no need to show up extra early just to get good seats.  And at $12.50 for a ticket, it's not outrageously priced, either. 

Honestly, I never liked going to movie theatres, mostly because I never found them comfortable.  I always felt squished in on all sides.  But this changes things.  Big Time.  I loved loved loved the experience.