Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195727 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17360 on: September 15, 2021, 09:27:18 am »

Can't stop laughing at this. Practical? I guess if you only choice is this or walking, maybe. Why would anybody take this over VIA Rail which does the same routes in less time or will they be removing those from VIA Rail's schedule?

“I would expect that Londoners would react very positively to this,” Mulroney said. “What it provides is a real practical transit option.”

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/after-decades-of-talk-about-rail-service-go-is-a-go-for-london

Less expensive likely. Especially now that there is not bus service to London. It's a step in the right direction and likely intended for students who have all the time in the world, but no money.

Ya, it better be cheap. Heard the train leaves London at 5AM and leaves Toronto at 4PM.

It costs $13.15 from Aldershot or $15.25 from Barrie one way on the GO Train. London-Union on VIA is $37 and takes less than 2.5 hours. Doesn't leave much room for pricing to sit on hard seats for 4 hours.

No it doesn't. I though VIA was way more expensive than $37
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17361 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:59 am »

Can't stop laughing at this. Practical? I guess if you only choice is this or walking, maybe. Why would anybody take this over VIA Rail which does the same routes in less time or will they be removing those from VIA Rail's schedule?

“I would expect that Londoners would react very positively to this,” Mulroney said. “What it provides is a real practical transit option.”

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/after-decades-of-talk-about-rail-service-go-is-a-go-for-london

Less expensive likely. Especially now that there is not bus service to London. It's a step in the right direction and likely intended for students who have all the time in the world, but no money.

Ya, it better be cheap. Heard the train leaves London at 5AM and leaves Toronto at 4PM.

It costs $13.15 from Aldershot or $15.25 from Barrie one way on the GO Train. London-Union on VIA is $37 and takes less than 2.5 hours. Doesn't leave much room for pricing to sit on hard seats for 4 hours.

No it doesn't. I though VIA was way more expensive than $37

I checked before posting so my number is correct. You can pay more if you want which gives you more options like, refunds, VIA1 service, etc.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17362 on: September 15, 2021, 09:44:38 am »
It will no different than taking a train in the EU
You will  have some fast trains, and you will have a milk run train stopping everywhere   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: September 15, 2021, 11:15:09 am »
You will  have some fast trains, and you will have a milk run train stopping everywhere

Except that we really don't have a "fast" train.
Go train does have some express trains that do not do the milk run heading to Oshawa
by 2121 there could be a fast train  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17364 on: September 15, 2021, 01:21:32 pm »
FWIW. The GO line between Acton and Guelph and probably all the way to Kitchener is still single track.  Pretty difficult to run a proper suburban train service on single track.  That might explain why so few trains.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #17365 on: September 15, 2021, 02:20:29 pm »
Single tracking is definitely an issue, particularly through downtown Guelph, but VIA runs it in 2.5 hours, so it must be the intermediate stops.

GO takes over two hours to go from Kitchener GO  to Union.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17366 on: September 16, 2021, 08:35:52 am »

Except that we really don't have a "fast" train.
Go train does have some express trains that do not do the milk run heading to Oshawa
by 2121 there could be a fast train  ;D

Last time I got the fast train someone had a heart attack on it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: September 18, 2021, 04:51:58 pm »
It is Salmon run time in Ontario
This is a creek by my place , they can not go much farther as there is a dam about a 100 m from here

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17368 on: September 20, 2021, 04:30:08 pm »
Wow, that Volcano erupts on the Canary Islands
 https://youtu.be/djRAyGyDq8s

we were on the island 2 years ago and went the national park 4 years ago

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17369 on: September 21, 2021, 10:08:13 am »
So,  I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I need an opinion about Wedding presentation:

My cousin and his fiance (who are from Winnipeg, but live in Vancouver) are getting married in May in Kelowna.  We plan on travelling from Winnipeg to Kelowna for the wedding.  Now, they both have really good jobs (he's an engineer, she works at a non-profit in Vancouver), but that sort of pales in comparison to the fact that her dad is very wealthy, with an annual salary of ~22 million a year.  Yeah, that's right.  That kind of money.  Her Dad will buy their first house for them, up to a million dollars, and he just bought them a brand new Ford Bronco Sport, no strings attached.  I suspect her Dad will also pay for the wedding.  Although my cousin comes from more modest means (his Dad was a doctor, so 'modest' is a relative term), suffice to say, my cousin and his fiance are not in any dire need of money, nor should they ever be (good for my cousin, though).

Rather than give them money for their wedding, my inclination is to make a nice donation to the local Winnipeg Humane Society in their name, and include the Thank You card in their wedding card. 

Thoughts?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17370 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:01 am »
Do they like dogs/cats?  Is that a gesture they'd appreciate?

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17371 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20:04 am »

Well, they have a dog.  We have dogs.  Anybody who has a dog must be an animal person, right?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17372 on: September 21, 2021, 10:21:05 am »
So,  I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I need an opinion about Wedding presentation:

My cousin and his fiance (who are from Winnipeg, but live in Vancouver) are getting married in May in Kelowna.  We plan on travelling from Winnipeg to Kelowna for the wedding.  Now, they both have really good jobs (he's an engineer, she works at a non-profit in Vancouver), but that sort of pales in comparison to the fact that her dad is very wealthy, with an annual salary of ~22 million a year.  Yeah, that's right.  That kind of money.  Her Dad will buy their first house for them, up to a million dollars, and he just bought them a brand new Ford Bronco Sport, no strings attached.  I suspect her Dad will also pay for the wedding.  Although my cousin comes from more modest means (his Dad was a doctor, so 'modest' is a relative term), suffice to say, my cousin and his fiance are not in any dire need of money, nor should they ever be (good for my cousin, though).

Rather than give them money for their wedding, my inclination is to make a nice donation to the local Winnipeg Humane Society in their name, and include the Thank You card in their wedding card. 

Thoughts?

How about this?  ;D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17373 on: September 21, 2021, 10:23:38 am »

Thoughts?

Be nice if they would simply request "best wishes only" given the circumstances.  I had friends who married well after they were established in life....they requested no gifts, but if you felt like doing SOMETHING, they pointed to a couple of charities that were meaningful to them.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17374 on: September 21, 2021, 10:27:57 am »

Well, they have a dog.  We have dogs.  Anybody who has a dog must be an animal person, right?
I don't see anything wrong with that.  If you want to hedge your bets, I'd say do the donation but also get them a little something.  My recommendation would be something like this https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/personalized-ornaments/three-tier-wedding-cake-personalized-ornament-2999QHE1889B1.html .  That way they have something sentimental that you gave them and can enjoy yearly but you can also benefit a charity you think they would care about.  Just my suggestion.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17375 on: September 21, 2021, 10:30:03 am »

Thoughts?

Be nice if they would simply request "best wishes only" given the circumstances.  I had friends who married well after they were established in life....they requested no gifts, but if you felt like doing SOMETHING, they pointed to a couple of charities that were meaningful to them.

That would be nice.  Look, I love my cousin, and I don't begrudge them the wealth that they have/is coming their way, but it rankles a little when I think of giving them money for a wedding that we'll go through considerable expense to travel to.  I think the disparity of wealth between them and us 'regular' people is what I'm hitching on. 

We've travelled for weddings before (the one in banff comes to mind - that one wasn't cheap), and we gave money - but that was for people of more modest means.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17376 on: September 21, 2021, 10:30:55 am »

I don't see anything wrong with that.  If you want to hedge your bets, I'd say do the donation but also get them a little something.  My recommendation would be something like this https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/personalized-ornaments/three-tier-wedding-cake-personalized-ornament-2999QHE1889B1.html .  That way they have something sentimental that you gave them and can enjoy yearly but you can also benefit a charity you think they would care about.  Just my suggestion.

I like the ornament idea.  That's a good one!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17377 on: September 21, 2021, 10:58:35 am »

Thoughts?

This, we did the same. We are very happy with everything we have, so requested no gifts or a donation to Guelph Humane Society.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17378 on: September 21, 2021, 11:11:36 am »

Thoughts?

How about this?  ;D
That would be better or to a food bank

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17379 on: September 21, 2021, 11:29:46 am »