Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195640 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17280 on: April 27, 2021, 09:45:09 pm »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17281 on: April 28, 2021, 10:43:12 am »
https://atlanticcanadaaviationmuseum.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/nov20021.pdf

On this day in 1939 a Russian Ilyushin twin-engine DB-3  bomber crash landed on Miscou Island, NB.
They were trying to set a world record non-stop flight from Moscow to the World's Fair being held in New York City.
I heard the story when I was a kid from the guy who got there first, he was a teenager at the time.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17282 on: April 28, 2021, 11:02:00 am »
Cool...first i heard of that.  Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

Wonder how they got it back?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17283 on: April 28, 2021, 12:07:14 pm »
Cool...first i heard of that.  Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

Wonder how they got it back?

They disassembled it, put it on a barge and shipped it to New York and eventually back to Russia.
BTW, black and white photos don't show that the plane was bright red in colour

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17285 on: May 01, 2021, 09:02:21 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAvqDF3Wujc

Failed Cash-In-Transit Heist Because Driver Has Balls Of Steel

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #17286 on: May 01, 2021, 09:38:01 pm »
A very interesting customer experience today.  I detailed a 2012 Mustang Convertible today.  It was a two step polish on it along with an interior detail as well.  The detail, both inside and out, turned out very nice and the customer left extremely happy.  A couple hours later after the gentleman picked it up, I got a phone call from him.  He thanked me for a great job, but also told me that I passed two tests with my detailing job.  I had no idea what he was talking about so I asked him to clarify what he meant. 

Long story short, he said that when he sends any of his vehicles to get detailed he places coins under both front seats.  In my case, it was a toonie on the driver side and two quarters on the passenger side.  Still confused why he does this, he elaborated.  He said that he did it for two reasons......one to see if under the seats were being cleaned properly, and two if they found money would they take it.  I was kinda blown away, but actually thought it was a genious idea and something I never thought about.  He noticed that I put his $2.50 in his center console which is why he called me.  He mentioned that more often than not, the money is still there and under the seats are still dirty or that they are clean and the money is gone.  Sad to say the least.  But I think I earned, or at least hopefully, a long term customer.  Anyways, I just wanted to share as I thought that was a fantastic little tip when you get your vehicle detailed. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:45:13 pm by CanuckS2K »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17287 on: May 01, 2021, 10:08:23 pm »
^^ I’ve heard stories like that before. Not sure I like the idea, TBH.

What if you stick the vacuum under the seats and the quarters get sucked up before you realize they’re there? I’ve had it happen to me, and I’m not about to go searching through the gross vacuum bag to find them.

But, okay, if it’s a customer’s car, now you’re going to search through the gross vacuum bag in case it was something important. So you do, and you find a couple quarters and a toonie, which you clean off and place in the cup holder. No biggie, just part of the job, but I’d be kind of pissed to find out afterwards that it was all part of some sneaky test.

If the guy wants to make sure the detailer cleaned under the seats... why not just look under the seats to see if it’s clean?  ???

And the loose change thing just seems petty. It’s two and a half bucks. You’re really going to consider someone a thief because maybe they vacuumed up some loose change or even put it aside somewhere and then forgot about it?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17288 on: May 01, 2021, 10:17:22 pm »
I learned a similar trick when I was young and dumb. Worked in a resturant and we had to mop the floors before going home. The next day the manger asked did I mop behind the doors and I just said yes. He says, great, lets go see how a great of a job you did because I left my pen there last night. Oops, busted.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #17289 on: May 01, 2021, 10:19:59 pm »
^^ I’ve heard stories like that before. Not sure I like the idea, TBH.

What if you stick the vacuum under the seats and the quarters get sucked up before you realize they’re there? I’ve had it happen to me, and I’m not about to go searching through the gross vacuum bag to find them.

But, okay, if it’s a customer’s car, now you’re going to search through the gross vacuum bag in case it was something important. So you do, and you find a couple quarters and a toonie, which you clean off and place in the cup holder. No biggie, just part of the job, but I’d be kind of pissed to find out afterwards that it was all part of some sneaky test.

If the guy wants to make sure the detailer cleaned under the seats... why not just look under the seats to see if it’s clean?  ???

And the loose change thing just seems petty. It’s two and a half bucks. You’re really going to consider someone a thief because maybe they vacuumed up some loose change or even put it aside somewhere and then forgot about it?

I really never thought about it until today, but I don't think it's petty at all.  If I find money in customer's vehicle, whether it be 10 cents or 10 dollars, it's not mine and I'll always put it in their front console or cup holder.  I can't speak for other shops, but I just don't blindly stick a shop vac under seats without looking first with a small halogen lamp as I've seen some pretty scary :censor: under them. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17290 on: May 01, 2021, 10:45:27 pm »
^^ For sure, I’d put the change in the cup holder as well. But if for some completely innocent reason, the change gets lost, or misplaced, or forgotten about, now the guy thinks I’m a crook?

And really, as long as my detailer does a good job, do I even care if he’s the kind of guy who would pocket some loose change? I just want a clean car, I don’t need it cleaned by a saint.

And I don’t care how honest people are - I’m not leaving anything valuable in the car when I take it anywhere for service. It’s not like I’m going to think “Hey, this guy returned my spare change, next time I’m going to leave my Rolex Submariner on the gearshift and I won’t have to worry!”

I guess I just don’t like the idea of putting people through sneaky tests. I prefer just to trust people from the start, until they give me a reason to do otherwise.

Or, if you’re going to do a test like this, just keep quiet about it! Say “Hey, you did a great job! I’ll be calling you again” not “Hey, I made you jump through a bunch of hoops without you even knowing it, and congratulations, you passed my test!” What’s the point? I’d feel manipulated and more than a bit put off.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:12:46 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17291 on: May 02, 2021, 12:09:18 am »
Heh, it’s like the Van Halen ‘No brown M&M’s’ request

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17292 on: May 02, 2021, 07:48:49 pm »
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/canada-remembers-those-lost-in-battle-of-the-atlantic

May 3 marks the 75th anniversary of the end of the Battle of the Atlantic. The Battle was the longest continuous military campaign in World War II, running from 1939 to the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945. At its core was the Allied naval blockade of Germany, announced the day after the declaration of war, and Germany's subsequent counter-blockade.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17293 on: May 03, 2021, 01:06:32 pm »
Rolling the dice on some food marked best before March 31, 2021.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17294 on: May 03, 2021, 01:10:18 pm »

Really , who cares,  ::)
Best Before’ refers to QUALITY: your food will be at its peak freshness, taste and nutritional value before the best before date if packaging is intact and stored correctly.

https://lovefoodhatewaste.ca/use-it-up/best-before-dates/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc%20EN&utm_campaign=Best%20Before%20Dates&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPGMQr9_K5dydyBQjOoVFl2mHi1JoGtGQ8aXHqAHKkkj3OzTbw4OeCwaAqqxEALw_wcB

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17295 on: May 03, 2021, 02:08:01 pm »

You would if it were milk.  :hurl:

Not so much on a can of soup

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17296 on: May 03, 2021, 02:11:00 pm »

I think AB has eaten a lot of expired food.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17297 on: May 03, 2021, 02:51:50 pm »

I've drank/eaten plenty of dairy that is past its expiration date.  I think milk's expiration date has 'counter-time' built into it.  I.e. they assume it's going to get left out on your counter for a cumulative couple of hours, raising the temperature.  Really, you just gotta give it a sniff, and if it smells okay, have at 'er.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17298 on: May 03, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »

Best Before’ refers to QUALITY

This is correct.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17299 on: May 03, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »

I think AB has eaten a lot of expired food.

He wrote about best before date not expired date  :P