Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3195599 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #17240 on: March 31, 2021, 09:42:18 pm »
It's 'virtual'.  Instead of a set day where everybody competes, teams have the month of June to complete the course.  You can run the course as often as you like, provided the time you submit (recorded via Strava) is completed in a single day.

Interesting, what a good idea.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17241 on: March 31, 2021, 10:21:21 pm »
I'm signing my spouse and I up for an adventure race that's happening in June.  Swamp Donkey, Pain In The ASSiniboine.  It comprises a 34km bike ride from The Forks out to Beaudry Park in Headingley, followed by a 40km canoe paddle down the Assiniboine River from Beaudry park back to The Forks. 

I've never adventure raced before, and the PITA is kinda like 'Adventure Race Lite', as the cycling portion mainly takes place on pavement (with a little singletrack mixed in), and the canoe portion is downstream.  It should be a good experience for a couple of first-timers.  I have plenty of experience in both cycling and canoeing, as does my spouse, but neither of us have ever adventure raced before.  I'm also really psyched that I'm finally fit enough to be able to even consider doing an activity like this. 

http://www.swampdonkeyar.com/pita

This sounds like a lot of fun and such a great name!

I'm thinking this should be a breeze for you guys with your experience. The 34 km of cycling is nothing but I have no idea what pace a canoe does. Thinking in the 5-8 kph range depending on the current?

A race is only what you make of it. Go and have fun.

Reminds me of when I talked three buddies into doing what we called S.H.I.T. which stands for Stupid Hike In Tobermory. It was approx 80 km of hiking on the last section of the Bruce Trail after putting in a full week of work. Drove up Friday night, started at 11PM and hiked as much as we could with only naps along the way. We failed miserably around 2AM Sunday but came home with great stories. We went back the following year with a modified plan to complete it and we did. Good times.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17242 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:15 pm »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17243 on: April 01, 2021, 07:52:42 am »
Just put down a deposit on a new addition to the family fleet :)

You've been all over the place looking at stuff, I think. 

4Runner?

Yah...2021 TRD Off Road...in Barcelona Red no less

Congrats.  This is to replace the Odyssey?  While it's expensive, and what some would consider 'outdated', I think the fact that it's still one of the top-selling midsize SUV's speaks volumes about how good it is.  People seem to be drawn to the 'old school' SUV experience that it offers over something more modern like a Pilot, Explorer, or Santa Fe.

You really get the feeling that if the world ended, and you needed to get the heck out of town in a hurry, a 4Runner would be a great apocalypse vehicle.

Thanks. Definitely buying a new old car lol...a dinosaur. But, I have to say, for 2021 it has all the necessary tech (car play, auto climate control, safety sense) plus LEDs! So a nice combination of old school durability / dependability and some new tech. And of course the resale value :)

Does it replace the Odyssey? I don't know. I just got it because I wanted it and had money saved, truth be told.

Maybe my wife will take a liking to it (she's already a bit excited for the addition). Maybe it replaces the 335i (hi Gurgie), or maybe its just an extravagant 3rd car winter car solution. Not sure yet.

Looks like its been more or less claimed by my wife...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #17244 on: April 01, 2021, 08:04:52 am »

4Runner?

Congrats.  This is to replace the Odyssey?  While it's expensive, and what some would consider 'outdated', I think the fact that it's still one of the top-selling midsize SUV's speaks volumes about how good it is.  People seem to be drawn to the 'old school' SUV experience that it offers over something more modern like a Pilot, Explorer, or Santa Fe.

You really get the feeling that if the world ended, and you needed to get the heck out of town in a hurry, a 4Runner would be a great apocalypse vehicle.

Thanks. Definitely buying a new old car lol...a dinosaur. But, I have to say, for 2021 it has all the necessary tech (car play, auto climate control, safety sense) plus LEDs! So a nice combination of old school durability / dependability and some new tech. And of course the resale value :)

Does it replace the Odyssey? I don't know. I just got it because I wanted it and had money saved, truth be told.

Maybe my wife will take a liking to it (she's already a bit excited for the addition). Maybe it replaces the 335i (hi Gurgie), or maybe its just an extravagant 3rd car winter car solution. Not sure yet.

So unload the Odyssey & 335i and get your 911?  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17245 on: April 01, 2021, 08:13:37 am »

4Runner?

Sort of the plan. But that combo won't get me into any decent 911 that would have to be a daily.

Been looking at the manual M3 again...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17246 on: April 01, 2021, 08:22:29 am »

4Runner?

Sort of the plan. But that combo won't get me into any decent 911 that would have to be a daily.

M2?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17247 on: April 01, 2021, 08:26:45 am »

M2?

Nah...needs to be somewhat practical. I kinda like the M3 but it would have to be specced out exactly how I want it (like my 335): Base, IMGreen, sunroof, manual, orange interior, black calipers.

I don't know really though...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17248 on: April 01, 2021, 08:31:04 am »
Don’t worry. By the time you decide cars will be electric amd you’ll be priced out of the used market  :P

yup

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17249 on: April 01, 2021, 08:32:43 am »

4Runner?

I can relate to this sentiment. It's simply an itch that needs scratching.  ;D

I'm glad you pulled the trigger.  Congrats!  :cheers:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17250 on: April 01, 2021, 08:33:33 am »
Don’t worry. By the time you decide cars will be electric amd you’ll be priced out of the used market  :P

Aren't we just a ray of sunshine this morning...  :rofl:  :rofl:

Blue still open? I was hoping to get out this weekend up to Mont Ste Marie, but they announced last night that they're done for the year... Tremblant it planning on staying open until the 18th apparently. And then our local hill (where I crashed last week) is planning on opening for the weekend... might throw the skis in the SLK with the roof down & go make some afternoon turns   :rofl:

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17251 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:36 am »

4Runner?

I can relate to this sentiment. It's simply an itch that needs scratching.  ;D

I'm glad you pulled the trigger.  Congrats!  :cheers:

Thanks...now it still needs to be ordered and such so it may be a few months before I actually take delivery. I really really had to scratch :)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17252 on: April 01, 2021, 08:57:07 am »

Aren't we just a ray of sunshine this morning...  :rofl:  :rofl:

Blue still open? I was hoping to get out this weekend up to Mont Ste Marie, but they announced last night that they're done for the year... Tremblant it planning on staying open until the 18th apparently. And then our local hill (where I crashed last week) is planning on opening for the weekend... might throw the skis in the SLK with the roof down & go make some afternoon turns   :rofl:

Barely. Looks like 12 runs.

Tremblant was down to 51 the other day... 34 as of this morning  :o

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17253 on: April 01, 2021, 09:00:58 am »
Heard a great quote from Dwight Yoakam this morning...

"The internet has made us the most informed society, but the least thoughtful"

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17254 on: April 01, 2021, 09:14:26 am »

I don't buy this quote.

Those who were thoughtful before the internet, continue to be so, as a proportion of the population.

Those who were uninformed prior to the internet, are much more informed, but continue to be thoughtless.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17255 on: April 01, 2021, 09:21:05 am »

I don't buy this quote.

Those who were thoughtful before the internet, continue to be so, as a proportion of the population.

Those who were uninformed prior to the internet, are much more informed, but continue to be thoughtless.

Actually I think it was "less thoughtful" now that I re-read what I wrote...  ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #17256 on: April 02, 2021, 01:57:32 am »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17257 on: April 03, 2021, 04:42:19 pm »
Neighbour is selling his 2000 Camaro SS convertible if anyone is interested. 56k kms. He’s got it listed on Kijiji, just search for it in SK and you’ll find it. Pics are crap but he said he’ll be posting some better ones.  Cool car for sure.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17258 on: April 07, 2021, 04:19:03 pm »
Kid was running on the treadmill just now...music blasting...Panama...VH 1984...still sounds good today...but DAMN that's a long time ago.  I was a kid when I bought that CD when it came out...30 seven years ago... :P
And now...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17259 on: April 14, 2021, 09:38:56 am »
Crap all seasons on FWD > than new all seasons on RWD.  ;D

Had to push the Mustang back in the garage this AM, so kid took the truck to work.

"You'll have to put the winter tires back on the Sonic to give mom a ride to work!" (looking like he was willing to be late to help me out)

JC, don't worry about it, just go.

Bah...I swear these things were worse when new.  They're at the wear bars, and I had no problem backing out of the driveway and going down the alley.  What snow.  ::) FWD FTW!  :rofl: