Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3194963 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #16640 on: January 03, 2020, 02:26:35 pm »
That seemed strange to me as well. Especially as Iran and Iraq have fought a couple of bloody wars in the last years (Since the Shah died)

Not so much countries fighting, borders don't mean much over there.
As I'm sure you're aware, it's Shiite vs Sunnite,  tribes overrule nationalism.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16641 on: January 03, 2020, 02:28:17 pm »
On a happier note, my stocks in Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and L3_Harris are all doing great today. :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: January 03, 2020, 05:17:58 pm »

This.

And while no one in the Western world will miss the guy, he was more than just a general to the people there..while that was his title, he had huge popularity in Iran and depending who you ask..could have potentially been the #2 or #3 guy to lead the country short term in time of crisis (depending on crisis) should something happen to the Ayatollah.

A pretty big deal...and one that's unlikely to go without a response.

Not sure if cooler heads will prevail here.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16643 on: January 03, 2020, 05:34:24 pm »
Would be something like the Iraqis taking out Cheney, back in the day.

Can see why the Republicans like Lindsey Graham are happy with it though. If the Iranian's don't strike back, they win. If they do, the impeachment fuss fades into the background

Win-win, at least in the short term

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16644 on: January 03, 2020, 05:39:10 pm »

This.

And while no one in the Western world will miss the guy, he was more than just a general to the people there..while that was his title, he had huge popularity in Iran and depending who you ask..could have potentially been the #2 or #3 guy to lead the country short term in time of crisis (depending on crisis) should something happen to the Ayatollah.

There is already talk on some websites worrying that pro Iranian groups may have sleeper cells in the US. The Americans have had remarkable success preventing another mass casualty attack since 9/11 but I think it's only a matter of time before we see something tried on a smaller scale. Something along the lines of a crowded night club, local sporting event, mass transit station etc  The potential target list would literally be in the thousands.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: January 03, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »
Would be something like the Iraqis taking out Cheney, back in the day.

Can see why the Republicans like Lindsey Graham are happy with it though. If the Iranian's don't strike back, they win. If they do, the impeachment fuss fades into the background

Win-win, at least in the short term
Pretty much...or taking out Pelosi or similar.

Trumps old Tweets...LOL

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: January 03, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »

This.

There is already talk on some websites worrying that pro Iranian groups may have sleeper cells in the US. The Americans have had remarkable success preventing another mass casualty attack since 9/11 but I think it's only a matter of time before we see something tried on a smaller scale. Something along the lines of a crowded night club, local sporting event, mass transit station etc  The potential target list would literally be in the thousands.
Fortunately, they've had difficulty establishing any sort of cohesive group in the USA.

But yes, a lone wolf sympathizer in the US could certainly carry out a terror attack that would cause havoc.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: January 03, 2020, 07:08:26 pm »
Looks like another potential air strike....after Trump said he wasn't seeking war. Hard to believe it will be easy to unwind this escalation now. Yikes.

UPDATE: 6:35pm EST—

There are unconfirmed reports emerging now of an apparent airstrike against another two-vehicle convoy carrying Popular Mobilization Forces members near Taji, Iraq, north of Baghdad. It is very possible that details about this incident will change soon, but Shubl al-Zaidi, commander of Kataib Imam Ali, another Iranian-backed militia under the PMF umbrella, was reportedly riding in one of the vehicles. Hamid al-Jazaeri, leader of Saraya al-Khorasani, which has fought in both Iraq and Syria and has ties to the Quds Force, was also reported to have been in the convoy.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16648 on: January 06, 2020, 10:03:24 am »
My kid has one of those apps for pictures on his phone (who doesn't?  I don't.  :() that makes you look old (and other things).  Gray hair, wrinkles...all of it.  Takes a picture of my wife...damn.  :o :-X Laughs his head off, she looks OLD.  Takes one of himself...turns his hair white(r), give him wrinkles.  Looks old.

So he points it at me (shut up AB!!  >:() and nothing.  No changes.  No wrinkles (don't have any now) no gray hair (don't have any of that either so can't change the colour  ;D) - nothing.  I look the same.  Not sure what that means - guess I'm going to look young like my dad.  He's 75 and sure he's starting to age, but you'd still think he was in his 60's.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16649 on: January 07, 2020, 07:25:09 pm »
So I want a viper GTS.

Older ones are appreciating...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16650 on: January 11, 2020, 08:58:41 pm »
Went to McD's...ate...went to the bathroom.  Came back out...took a last shot of my drink.

Something's weird... :P

No.  :o You little turd...did you!??

Yup, Mr Engineer dipped my straw in ketchup while I was away so I would get a swig of coke-chup. 

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Fart head.  >:(

:rofl:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:29 pm »
Went to McD's...ate...went to the bathroom.  Came back out...took a last shot of my drink.

Something's weird... :P

No.  :o You little turd...did you!??

Yup, Mr Engineer dipped my straw in ketchup while I was away so I would get a swig of coke-chup. 

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Apple does not fall far from tree.  ;D

Fart head.  >:(

:rofl:
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16652 on: January 14, 2020, 06:31:48 pm »
How to lock a Smart car isn't very smart.

Locking the vehicle

If you can no longer lock the vehicle using the remote control and you do not have a spare transmitter battery at hand, please proceed as follows:

> Open the driver's door.
> Press the central locking switch ...

—The indicator lamp on central locking switch 1 comes on, when the starter switch is in position 1.
—The indicator lamp on central locking switch 1 flashes, when the starter switch is in Position 0.

> Remove the key from the starter switch, take it with you, and close all doors. The vehicle is now locked and the antitheft warning system* is armed.

Not sure who thought this would be a great idea but at least they let you unlock the door with the key. Not sure if you can even lock the car if the battery is dead.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: January 15, 2020, 06:22:51 pm »
Going to look at a pickup in Gatineau on Friday.

Hopefully this one is as described.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: January 16, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a tweet and noticed on flightradar that the Saint John to Montreal Air Canada flight was diverted to stay in Canadian airspace, because as of Jan 1, the US requires all aircraft in US airspace to be equipped with ADS-B.

All the other flights from the maritimes to Montreal and Toronto have continued the normal routing across Maine, so I assume that only the odd Dash 8 in the AC (Jazz, technically) isn't equipped with ADS-B.  Last night, I was coming home from Montreal, and when the Montreal to Moncton flight was just about to board, they announced that it was moving to a new gate and would be delayed by 20 minutes, and the crew and all the passengers hustled off to the other gate.  Then they announced that the flight to Toronto City that was scheduled to leave from the other gate would be moving to the gate that the Moncton flight was scheduled to fly out of originally.

The aircraft didn't move, so that means the Dash 8 that was scheduled to go to Moncton was now going to Toronto City, and the one that had been scheduled to Toronto City was now going to Moncton.

I wonder if it's for the same reason?  How many of Air Canada's Dash 8s don't have ADS-B?  Bored travellers wonder about this stuff.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:42:59 pm by tenpenny »
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16655 on: January 16, 2020, 12:47:17 pm »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16656 on: January 16, 2020, 12:52:41 pm »
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a tweet and noticed on flightradar that the Saint John to Montreal Air Canada flight was diverter to stay in Canadian airspace, because as of Jan 1, the US requires all aircraft in US airspace to be equipped with ADS-B.

All the other flights from the maritimes to Montreal and Toronto have continued the normal routing across Maine, so I assume that only the odd Dash 8 in the AC (Jazz, technically) isn't equipped with ADS-B.  Last night, I was coming home from Montreal, and when the Montreal to Moncton flight was just about to board, they announced that it was moving to a new gate and would be delayed by 20 minutes, and the crew and all the passengers hustled off to the other gate.  Then they announced that the flight to Toronto City that was scheduled to leave from the other gate would be moving to the gate that the Moncton flight was scheduled to fly out of originally.

The aircraft didn't move, so that means the Dash 8 that was scheduled to go to Moncton was now going to Toronto City, and the one that had been scheduled to Toronto City was now going to Moncton.

I wonder if it's for the same reason?  How many of Air Canada's Dash 8s don't have ADS-B?  Bored travellers wonder about this stuff.

I suspect you might be right. In the article I read about the original issue Jazz said that "a number" of their aircraft used for "purely domestic routes"  hadn't been updated with the new avionics to comply with the current US requirements.

In the same article it talked about Trudeau's holiday to Costa Rica. I guess they had to get special exemption for him to overfly the US.  The RCAF Challengers he uses don't have these transponders and their avionic systems are too old/obsolete for the them to be retrofitted.   Amazing how the government fritters away billions yet they still mange to run military equipment into the ground and well past it's best before date.::)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16657 on: January 16, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »

Oooh, what pickup?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16658 on: January 16, 2020, 11:12:32 pm »

Ooh ooh ooh! A Datsun 510!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: January 16, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »

Ooh ooh ooh! A Datsun 510!

Was there a 510 pickup?   There was a 520 I think.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/rare-1967-datsun-520-1-3l/1482011662