Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3220915 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #15940 on: February 19, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »
Talking with co-worker today, his MIL has a 17 year old 4-runner with 700,000+ km on it.  She has a very successful career, but just doesn't give a :censor: about vehicles, so just drives what she has and doesn't want to spend money on a new one.  He's not sure what work has all been done to it, but that's impressive.

Thats an interest thread topic.  At what point, is it cheaper to buy another vehicle then to repair a high mileage older one.  As an example, my partner has a 2005 Honda CRV with about 376k on it.  I am not sure what kind of maintenance he does.  I do know he does takes it for regular oil changes, tire rotations, filters, and has snow tires.  I know it has that amber symbol with an exclamation symbol, and pressing the VSA button does nothing.  Also once in awhile the DRL light comes on.  But lets say is needed rotors and pads all around.  Timing belt and water pump.  Probably some other fluids and belts.  The driver side button to lock the doors doesn't work.  Maybe $250-$400 to get rid of the codes.  But that's probably close to $3500 to have everything running properly.  Now that's more than the vehicle is worth.  The vehicle has visible exterior rust.  It meets his needs.  Do you spend that kind of money to have it repaired?  Next year it could be the suspension, the alternator, and starter.  When do you stop?   For the handy DIY, the choice is more obvious, but for those who are not?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: February 19, 2019, 03:45:04 pm »
Talking with co-worker today, his MIL has a 17 year old 4-runner with 700,000+ km on it.  She has a very successful career, but just doesn't give a :censor: about vehicles, so just drives what she has and doesn't want to spend money on a new one.  He's not sure what work has all been done to it, but that's impressive.

Thats an interest thread topic.  At what point, is it cheaper to buy another vehicle then to repair a high mileage older one.  As an example, my partner has a 2005 Honda CRV with about 376k on it.  I am not sure what kind of maintenance he does.  I do know he does takes it for regular oil changes, tire rotations, filters, and has snow tires.  I know it has that amber symbol with an exclamation symbol, and pressing the VSA button does nothing.  Also once in awhile the DRL light comes on.  But lets say is needed rotors and pads all around.  Timing belt and water pump.  Probably some other fluids and belts.  The driver side button to lock the doors doesn't work.  Maybe $250-$400 to get rid of the codes.  But that's probably close to $3500 to have everything running properly.  Now that's more than the vehicle is worth.  The vehicle has visible exterior rust.  It meets his needs.  Do you spend that kind of money to have it repaired?  Next year it could be the suspension, the alternator, and starter.  When do you stop?   For the handy DIY, the choice is more obvious, but for those who are not?
When do you stop?

Depends how much you like the car.

We're about to drop a fairly decent amount of $$ into a light restoration of IQs IS300. 365k on that car.

Pretty sure the money going into it is worth more than the cars value I think.....except it's IQs "I'll never sell it" car.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #15942 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:45 pm »

When do you stop?

We're about to drop a fairly decent amount of $$ into a light restoration of IQs IS300. 365k on that car.

Pretty sure the money going into it is worth more than the cars value I think.....except it's IQs "I'll never sell it" car.

Lets take "Love" out of the equation.  I get what your saying.  I would rather buy a high mileage vehicle that has the design I like, with no nannies, and little creature comforts. And spend money on that to keep it going.  Rather than settling on a car that doesn't appeal to me as much, and has nannies, and more creature comforts. 

But in my example, I am referring to the vehicle as an appliance.  A people mover, a commuter vehicle. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:35 pm »

When do you stop?

Lets take "Love" out of the equation.  I get what your saying.  I would rather buy a high mileage vehicle that has the design I like, with no nannies, and little creature comforts. And spend money on that to keep it going.  Rather than settling on a car that doesn't appeal to me as much, and has nannies, and more creature comforts. 

But in my example, I am referring to the vehicle as an appliance.  A people mover, a commuter vehicle.

Would depend on budget constraints I guess. 

There is something to be said for having no car payments.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15944 on: February 19, 2019, 09:25:05 pm »
Rogers TV is out.  Internet and home phone working though.
Looks to be an Ontario wide problem

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15946 on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:49 am »
WTF, indeed.   :o

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #15947 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:13 am »

When do you stop?

Would depend on budget constraints I guess. 

There is something to be said for having no car payments.

I would also argue that there is value in having a "known quantity"...you know what's been maintained, what needs to be done, etc.  I'd rather spend money to keep a car on the road than gamble on another miled-out vehicle.  The equation changes if you can afford a new(ish) vehicle...maybe cutting your losses makes sense.  But if you're ditching a $3500 vehicle because the repairs are more than it's worth, I'm not sure I would do that if I'm back out shopping in the sub-$5000 range.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:11 am »
Heard this on the radio this morning... WTF!?!?!

https://qz.com/1553777/a-teenager-found-radioactive-material-in-the-grand-canyon-museum/

More on it here as well....

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2019/02/18/grand-canyon-tourists-exposed-radiation-safety-manager-says/2876435002/

Yikes, lots of alarmist/false reporting in those articles.

Wetzler said gamma rays are hazardous if inhaled or swallowed, but not externally dangerous because they can be absorbed and rendered harmless by a sheet of paper, a few inches of air, or a person’s outer layer of dead skin.

He meant to say Alpha particles. And Uranium is primarily an alpha emitter. 

For example, the Park Service report shows radioactivity at “13.9 mR/hr’’ near the buckets, referring to milliroentgens per hour. While that would be dangerously high, he added, uranium could not possibly cause such a reading.

That isn't even close to being "dangerously high".  Nor is it clarifying if that dose rate was from the gamma radiation (Uranium and it's daughters do produce a small amount of gamma radiation) or Alpha radiation.  Either way, at any reasonable distance from the containers the dose rate would be perfectly fine.

Still, odd that the buckets were there.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #15949 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:06 am »
Heard this on the radio this morning... WTF!?!?!

https://qz.com/1553777/a-teenager-found-radioactive-material-in-the-grand-canyon-museum/

More on it here as well....

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2019/02/18/grand-canyon-tourists-exposed-radiation-safety-manager-says/2876435002/

Yikes, lots of alarmist/false reporting in those articles.

Wetzler said gamma rays are hazardous if inhaled or swallowed, but not externally dangerous because they can be absorbed and rendered harmless by a sheet of paper, a few inches of air, or a person’s outer layer of dead skin.

He meant to say Alpha particles. And Uranium is primarily an alpha emitter. 

For example, the Park Service report shows radioactivity at “13.9 mR/hr’’ near the buckets, referring to milliroentgens per hour. While that would be dangerously high, he added, uranium could not possibly cause such a reading.

That isn't even close to being "dangerously high".  Nor is it clarifying if that dose rate was from the gamma radiation (Uranium and it's daughters do produce a small amount of gamma radiation) or Alpha radiation.  Either way, at any reasonable distance from the containers the dose rate would be perfectly fine.

Still, odd that the buckets were there.

Figured you'd be able to decipher it for us  :cheers:  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15950 on: March 02, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: March 02, 2019, 03:15:22 pm »
How do you inhale or swallow a gamma ray?  Can you inhale a radio signal, or swallow a ray of light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: March 02, 2019, 05:45:11 pm »
How do you inhale or swallow a gamma ray?  Can you inhale a radio signal, or swallow a ray of light?

http://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Internal_Exposures.htm

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: March 02, 2019, 08:25:48 pm »
That article refers to atoms, not rays. That’s my point. Terrible journalism.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: March 02, 2019, 09:30:34 pm »
Just put my beloved smoker up for sale!

Looking to buy a new smoker/grill combo.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: March 03, 2019, 05:23:13 am »
That article refers to atoms, not rays. That’s my point. Terrible journalism.

I hear ya.

I sent an email this week to a large, well regarded website. They had a big article about the latest armed conflict between India and Pakistan.

And nowhere in the article was it mentioned WHY tensions tensions flared up again. This was a pretty important omission.

To their credit they fixed it and added the info.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15956 on: March 04, 2019, 01:51:44 pm »
Noticed this article in the Financial Post this morning.
I went to High school with Sean Boyd. He was always goofing off in the back of "Hurricane Hank" Thopmson's Geography class. Last year his total compensation was close to $10M. Fack.
Railton
https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/agnico-eagle-ceo-wary-of-bigger-is-better-mergers
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: RIP Luke Perry...
« Reply #15958 on: March 04, 2019, 03:57:05 pm »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15959 on: March 04, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »
Damn, I hate to hear of suicides. 49 years old too.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken