Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3221800 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #15400 on: June 04, 2018, 05:04:02 pm »
1 accused at large, 3 arrested, facing multiple criminal and drug charges in #Oshawa by #OPP and @DRPS. Evidence highlights rising tensions and violence between Hells Angels and Outlaws MCs. DO NOT APPROACH MEMBERS. Report activity
https://twitter.com/OPP_News/status/1003734017542377475

Biker war about to start?
Mr Pickypants

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: June 05, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »
I washed my car yesterday.  It rained today (more a steady drizzle).  ::)  They said there was a 30% chance...and they were right...about a third of my way to work...it quit, and it was dry.  Huh...damn that guy is good!  :P  Sunny all day after that.  #washrinserepeat

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #15402 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:26 pm »
Pretty excited for E3.  Bethesda had a great show.  Eager to see what Sony shows off tonight.  Each year at E3 time I get excited, and then lament the fact that I don't have much time (or maybe even interest) to game for hours anymore.

However, my buddies who have recently had kids say it actually gives them more time to game sometimes when the baby keeps them up at night  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15403 on: June 17, 2018, 02:06:19 pm »
Grandkids playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15404 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:35 pm »
Grandkids playing

Does that amp go to 11?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15405 on: June 18, 2018, 12:30:46 am »
^ Looks like AB had Two Sheds!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:21 am »
^ Looks like AB had Two Sheds!
There is a lot more !

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15407 on: June 18, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »
A friend of mine just messaged me and asked if I'd like to accompany him on a drive from Calgary to Guelph at the end of July. He's moving there, and his wife doesn't want him to drive alone but he doesn't want her and their infant daughter to come with them. I'm already supposed to be in Kitchener that weekend so I'm thinking about switching my flight to Calgary a few days earlier and going with him.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #15408 on: June 18, 2018, 04:23:28 pm »
A friend of mine just messaged me and asked if I'd like to accompany him on a drive from Calgary to Guelph at the end of July. He's moving there, and his wife doesn't want him to drive alone but he doesn't want her and their infant daughter to come with them. I'm already supposed to be in Kitchener that weekend so I'm thinking about switching my flight to Calgary a few days earlier and going with him.

Let me know when you're in the peg!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15409 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:06 pm »
Some of my friends and relatives in Northeast NB are not very happy that the lobster season has been cut short due to right whales being in the area.   
The season is only 2 months and they cut off the last 2 weeks.    They were having a season of excellent catches up to now.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15410 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:15 pm »
Some of my friends and relatives in Northeast NB are not very happy that the lobster season has been cut short due to right whales being in the area.   
The season is only 2 months and they cut off the last 2 weeks.    They were having a season of excellent catches up to now.

For those of us that don't know...in economic terms, what does 2 weeks mean to them? 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15411 on: June 18, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »

For those of us that don't know...in economic terms, what does 2 weeks mean to them?

For the boat owners,  I'm guessing a loss in the vicinity of about $50k or more. 
The crew (usually 2) obviously lose 2 weeks pay, but also probably a significant portion of the usual "bonus" often paid at the end of a good season.
The factory workers, of which there are more than fishermen, also lose 2 weeks pay.

More significant to the crew and factory workers is because the work is so seasonal out there most rely on employment insurance for the off-season and might not have enough time in to collect.

Now, a bit more information, lobster catches have been way up in that area of the last few years, 10 years ago it looked like the fishery was failing, they were getting 1/4 the catch they get now.
Because of this influx of income, a lot of guys spent a lot of money on boats, gear, trucks, etc.  and now have big payments.   A boat motor costs over $60k, my cousin had to replace his last year,  it adds up quick. 

There is also the issue that AFAIK the whales are out in deeper water and not near the actual lobster fishing ground, but the area is marked off in arbitrary squares and that's how they are closing the areas, not by depth or distance offshore which would make more sense.  At this time of year almost all of the gear is  well within 10km from shore in less than 50ft of water.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15412 on: June 18, 2018, 09:57:00 pm »
Wow!!  $25K per week is a huge loss!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15413 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:28 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1258123843990/

I think I know all these guys

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15414 on: June 19, 2018, 09:34:09 am »

Let me know when you're in the peg!

We're probably driving through the U.S.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15415 on: June 19, 2018, 10:20:29 am »
Why are whales affected by lobster fishing? I didn't think any whales ate lobsters. If the whales get all fluster by a few small boats...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15416 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:26 am »
Why are whales affected by lobster fishing? I didn't think any whales ate lobsters. If the whales get all fluster by a few small boats...

They get tangled in the gear and then drown or get injuries and die from them.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: June 19, 2018, 08:17:32 pm »

They get tangled in the gear and then drown or get injuries and die from them.

Yeah, there is a lot of rope and buoys involved in lobster and crab fishing.   Although, AFAIK they have not found any lobster gear on any of the dead whales.
I see there is also a fishing closure in the middle of the Bay of Fundy, but I don't know what if anything is being fished there at this time.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15418 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:00 pm »
Found out a few days ago that a colleague had a serious heart attack (the widow-maker) while on vacation last week.  She's in a coma in Kingston, on life support, pending the arrival of her grown kids (from outside the province) at the hospital.  We've been told that the outcome will probably not be positive.

I've never had to deal with the sudden death/loss of a coworker.  I liked her very much, but we weren't friends per se (as in outside the office).  She was such a funny person, and a very dedicated employee who was very good at what she did.  We got along very well.  Walking by her desk, which still has all her belongings for now, has been rather upsetting.   :-\

Has anyone else been through this?     

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: June 23, 2018, 06:16:51 pm »
Found out a few days ago that a colleague had a serious heart attack (the widow-maker) while on vacation last week.  She's in a coma in Kingston, on life support, pending the arrival of her grown kids (from outside the province) at the hospital.  We've been told that the outcome will probably not be positive.

I've never had to deal with the sudden death/loss of a coworker.  I liked her very much, but we weren't friends per se (as in outside the office).  She was such a funny person, and a very dedicated employee who was very good at what she did.  We got along very well.  Walking by her desk, which still has all her belongings for now, has been rather upsetting.   :-\

Has anyone else been through this?   

Sory for your loss  :'(
Just think of the good times