Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3222136 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #15100 on: March 28, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »
^  I could be wrong, but I don't think TP was directing his comments at you.

I assume he did.  As his comments were posted 2 minutes after mine.  And after my last statement, he didn't try and correct me.

He was quoting whaddaiknow though.
Mr Pickypants

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15101 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:52 pm »
^  I could be wrong, but I don't think TP was directing his comments at you.

I assume he did.  As his comments were posted 2 minutes after mine.  And after my last statement, he didn't try and correct me.

Scott, he wasn't quoting your posts though, therefore wasn't directing them at you. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:03 am »
You guys are unbelievable.
My post was as honest as could be. I shared my personal experience as someone who is passionate about piano.
I just spent 40 minutes listening to Barenboim playing Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m0JMErygG0&t=1083s
Ultimately, I don't give a rat's behind how you spend your money. If you want another "toy", or to tick another checkbox in your kids' education, go for it. An old piano that doesn't hold tune is as good as an old chest. Your kid will hate it, and move on.
If it's something you are looking at as a long term investment (not financial) for a few years to come, consider a good instrument. I am not saying you should buy the Steinway. But at least something that will make sense and not break the bank that you can sell a few years down the road, if the hobby doesn't take off, and get some of it back.

My two daughters took piano lessons. The eldest one was very good at it but ultimately chose synchronized swimming over it. The younger one never took to it and I let it go. I do enjoy it, though.

An old piano is a crappy investment, period. Unless it has some sentimental value or gets you to score a few brownie points with your better half. Sheesh... I don't even know why I got so wound up about it... Whatever...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: March 29, 2018, 06:05:15 am »
Wow, do you over react much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #15104 on: March 29, 2018, 07:13:37 am »
Wow, do you over react much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tenpenny,

I apologize for the statement.   I misread it, and thought it was intended for me. 

Thanks Canuck & Blur to pointing it out to me. 

Please lets just move on. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15105 on: March 29, 2018, 07:18:42 am »
LOL, coffee in the morning, I was going to delete my smartass post this morning anyway.

Plus, CBC was playing Pink Floyd this am, 45 years tomorrow since Dark Side of the Moon was released, and it's sunny, so I apologize for being a jerk.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15106 on: March 29, 2018, 07:25:24 am »
LOL, coffee in the morning, I was going to delete my smartass post this morning anyway.

Plus, CBC was playing Pink Floyd this am, 45 years tomorrow since Dark Side of the Moon was released, and it's sunny, so I apologize for being a jerk.
Wow , 45 years already
What were you smoking when you first heard it  ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15107 on: March 29, 2018, 07:36:07 am »
My post was as honest as could be. I shared my personal experience as someone who is passionate about piano.
I just spent 40 minutes listening to Barenboim playing Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto on youtube.
Ultimately, I don't give a rat's behind how you spend your money. If you want another "toy", or to tick another checkbox in your kids' education, go for it. An old piano that doesn't hold tune is as good as an old chest. Your kid will hate it, and move on.
If it's something you are looking at as a long term investment (not financial) for a few years to come, consider a good instrument. I am not saying you should buy the Steinway. But at least something that will make sense and not break the bank that you can sell a few years down the road, if the hobby doesn't take off, and get some of it back.

My two daughters took piano lessons. The eldest one was very good at it but ultimately chose synchronized swimming over it. The younger one never took to it and I let it go. I do enjoy it, though.

An old piano is a crappy investment, period. Unless it has some sentimental value or gets you to score a few brownie points with your better half. Sheesh... I don't even know why I got so wound up about it... Whatever...
I am curious to know about typical upkeep costs on a piano - specifically a Baby Grand. Are newer models less upkeep than older models and so forth.
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one at some point. We had an upright for decades and other than the occasional tune up I don't remember anything breaking on ours.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15108 on: March 29, 2018, 08:02:00 am »

I am curious to know about typical upkeep costs on a piano - specifically a Baby Grand. Are newer models less upkeep than older models and so forth.
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one at some point. We had an upright for decades and other than the occasional tune up I don't remember anything breaking on ours.
Railton

We bought a new Yamaha baby grand over 10 years ago, mid-tier, $15,000 (on sale!). Tuning every year ideally, which is $300 - $400. I don't play, but my wife and kids do. It's awesome, but there needs to be commitment for use.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15109 on: March 29, 2018, 08:50:52 am »

Railton

I understand whaddaiknow's sentiment but I think the risks are overblown. The costs are minimal really.

When I was in highschool my parents bought a 1944 Heintzman piano. It's a fantastic piano that requires minimal upkeep - sure it needs tuning but it sounds so much better than a electric keyboard. My parents recently gave me the keyboard they bought before that, a mid tier electric Yamaha Clavinova. It's nice but doesn't compare to the piano that they have now that costs half as much.

Once you get beyond a certain level electric pianos don't cut it; they're limited by not having the complexity.

This is not to say the piano your in-laws have is great, Solstice. You should get information on the specifications and then decide if it's better to buy a secondhand rather than ship and tune this one.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #15110 on: March 29, 2018, 10:39:09 am »
Never mind the piano, get a Hammond B3 with a Leslie 122, that's an interesting funky sound! [emoji16]

https://youtu.be/F4XSZ1haPk4

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15111 on: March 29, 2018, 12:38:03 pm »
My sister is finally able to speak at length, so we chatted for a bit yesterday. She's got four titanium plates in her face and her nose has been completely reconstructed.
She's just taking Advil for pain. Tough girl.

"Pretty extreme way to get a free nose job."
"We both know who the cheapskate is here, and it isn't me."

;D

The breeder she bought the horse from agreed to swap hers for a "really mellow gelding". He's even agreed to cover shipping. That was going above and beyond. He wasn't under any obligation to do anything.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:24 pm »
My brother was an exceedingly talented keyboard player...he could even play it reverse. He'd stand behind the keyboard and somehow be able to play it still. He played in rock groups and tried out for some big name bands.

His "home" keyboard was a large top of the line Hammond with a built in Leslie. His gig keyboards were a Yamaha DX-7 and some Roland on a dual rack. His influences were John Lord (Deep Purple) and Jens Johansson (Yngwie). He could flat out rip! Then one day after university when he moved to Calgary...he just stopped playing. Cold turkey.

Our family was a little band. I played guitar (12 years of theory, lessons, etc), my bro on keyboards and my other bro was a drummer.

None of us play any more...except for me noodling around on small slide guitars (3-4 string cigar box) or a 4 string baritone ukele set up for slide....I'm fond of the dirty sound of Mississippi delta blues.

A cool bonus of all of this is our house (had a very large house) became a flop house for musicians. Got to know many talented people. The most talented being Dave Marton (aka Martone). After living at our house he went on to a scholarship at the prestigious Berkeley College of Music in Boston. He's even had my name in the acknowledgments in a couple of his albums. Plays it all..funk, fusion, shred, progressive, flamenco, etc Has funny stories about many stars (plays with Satrianni frequently.)

When he's not on tour, he lives and plays classical and flamenco in Vancouver..if anyone wants to meet him after a gig in Vancouver, hit me up.

http://davemartone.com

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15113 on: March 29, 2018, 01:18:27 pm »
My sister is finally able to speak at length, so we chatted for a bit yesterday. She's got four titanium plates in her face and her nose has been completely reconstructed.

;D

The breeder she bought the horse from agreed to swap hers for a "really mellow gelding". He's even agreed to cover shipping. That was going above and beyond. He wasn't under any obligation to do anything.

Whoa!  :o  I had to go back and check what this was about.  She's lucky she's still in this world!  Kick in the face by a horse..:fall:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: March 29, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
^ Absolutely. The doctors that worked on her were of the same opinion. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #15115 on: March 29, 2018, 02:05:43 pm »

My brother was an exceedingly talented keyboard player...he could even play it reverse. He'd stand behind the keyboard and somehow be able to play it still. He played in rock groups and tried out for some big name bands.

His "home" keyboard was a large top of the line Hammond with a built in Leslie. His gig keyboards were a Yamaha DX-7 and some Roland on a dual rack. His influences were John Lord (Deep Purple) and Jens Johansson (Yngwie). He could flat out rip! Then one day after university when he moved to Calgary...he just stopped playing. Cold turkey.

Our family was a little band. I played guitar (12 years of theory, lessons, etc), my bro on keyboards and my other bro was a drummer.

None of us play any more...except for me noodling around on small slide guitars (3-4 string cigar box) or a 4 string baritone ukele set up for slide....I'm fond of the dirty sound of Mississippi delta blues.

A cool bonus of all of this is our house (had a very large house) became a flop house for musicians. Got to know many talented people. The most talented being Dave Marton (aka Martone). After living at our house he went on to a scholarship at the prestigious Berkeley College of Music in Boston. He's even had my name in the acknowledgments in a couple of his albums. Plays it all..funk, fusion, shred, progressive, flamenco, etc Has funny stories about many stars (plays with Satrianni frequently.)

When he's not on tour, he lives and plays classical and flamenco in Vancouver..if anyone wants to meet him after a gig in Vancouver, hit me up.

http://davemartone.com

Cool beans! Guessing your brother had a Roland JX-3P, that's about the same era as the DX-7.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15116 on: March 29, 2018, 02:10:10 pm »
She's got four titanium plates in her face and her nose has been completely reconstructed.

:o

Good for her to maintain a positive attitude about it all.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15117 on: March 29, 2018, 02:11:36 pm »

;D

Good to hear her sense of humour is intact.  :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: March 29, 2018, 02:21:05 pm »
I said I was sorry I couldn't be there.

Her: "Look, the last thing I needed was someone else walking in and crying when they saw my face."
Me: "I figured you'd be used to it by now."
Her: "F. U."

;D

Just because we're older doesn't mean we're any more mature.  ;D

She was in really good spirits, and really glad to be home. It was great hearing her like that again.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15119 on: March 29, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »
^ LOL
Sounds like your sister is awesome.
Guess her brother is alright too.    ;D