Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3235837 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #11640 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:50 pm »
Big track?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #11641 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:34 pm »
Big track?

I have no idea. It's $200, I'm still on vacation until wednesday, so I figured why not, sounds interesting.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #11642 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »
$200 is a bargain for the big track.  But from what I have heard of Pfaff they are top notch so it may very well be.

Most lapping days on the big track are $350-$500.  But I'm sure Pfaff uses it as promotional as well to get more sales.

Have fun!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #11643 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:53 pm »
Promotional for sure...they probably wa owners like me to stay in their dealership group and upgrade to a Porsche...and I may let them :)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11644 on: August 17, 2015, 08:29:02 pm »
BMW Track day at Canadian Tire Motorsport tomorrow...first time on the track! Hope the car comes back in one piece.

Where ?  ???
Maybe Mosport , sometime the old names are better  ;D

Yes, yes Mosport, correct. Should be interesting.
Boss.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11645 on: August 17, 2015, 08:45:27 pm »
Well, interesting day for sure!  I just got off the phone with one of our corporate VPs after he called me at home and I'm on vacation.  It's never usually a good thing when that type of thing happens, but he immediately put me at ease and asked if I was interested in an acting management role for another major project similar to the one I worked on several years back and he needs an answer by next Monday when I return from vacation.  :o

A confidentiality agreement is standard fare for this type of thing, but it will involve lots of travel commuting weekly by air to the project location and could last for up to two years.  I really enjoyed the couple of years I spent on the last one, but my situation has changed quite a bit since and I know my wife will not like me being away for that long.  Last time I was away for four days out of the week, but I was only a couple hours drive away for most of that and much of it was local.  I also really like what I am doing now so it will be a difficult decision for sure.

#majordecisiontime  :-\

Tough call but if you say no will you be asked again?

Well not for this project for sure, but he is an old college buddy of mine so he will understand either way so no worriees there.  It's more of a lost opportunity and some nice perks always come with these large capital projects but there's also lots coming up in the role I am in now.  Luckily I've worked my way into the most demanding skill sets within our company the last 10 years so I'm in a relatively good position within an industry that is downsizing somewhat in other areas.

Unfortunately I've also had some medical issues last few months that have me worried somewhat and that's a long story in itself, but really figures into the decision more than anything else.  For that reason alone it makes the decision possibly the hardest I've had to make in my entire career so far.  Fak!  :P

You have to do what you have to do man  :) The biggest mistakes in my career have been turning down promotions when they presented themselves. Last one was 3 years ago for a top floor Bay Street job....people thought I was crazy when I said no thanks.....working from home in my PJ's and unshaven for half the pay is fun tho  ;D

Staying put btw!  I pretty well had my mind made up soon after talking it over with my wife the first evening.  That said, I called my regional manager this morning just to make sure the major projects planned for my area are still in the works and I was assured they were indeed.  He also said there was no way they could let me go from my current role as a result so he would have made a business case to block my transfer.  Now I'm thinking I wish I had have said yes just to see how it would have played out.  >:D

Anyway, it was never about the money as work/life balance is much more important to me and is not the first time I had refused a more lucrative offer for that reason.  The only thing i'm actually allowed to mention about the nature of the project the location of my assignment and that would have been the GTA and based right donwtown.   ;D  One of the perks of these capital projects where out of town travel is required is that it comes with an entertainment allowance so it would have been cool to go see some of the many events available in the big city on the company's tab.  One of the drawbacks though is that it would have involved a lot of face time stuck in downtown traffic so not sure how a small town hick like me would deal with that for the duration of the project.  :P

Oh well, c'est la vie!   :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11646 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:03 am »
Big track?

I have no idea. It's $200, I'm still on vacation until wednesday, so I figured why not, sounds interesting.

Doubt it's the big track, Pfaff usually charges $500 for those AFAIK.
Mr Pickypants

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: August 18, 2015, 09:12:18 am »
My favorite new Super Hero car.

That should get you through any border crossing with a 21 gun salute.  Free speeding tickets.  Or something to that effect. 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28:13 am »
Big track?

The big track!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11649 on: August 18, 2015, 10:55:53 am »
Heading out to accompany my beloved to St. Mike's Kidney Stone Centre in Toronto for this: http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/programs/kidneycentre/swltreatment.php

Hoping it works, without too much post-procedure pain.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11650 on: August 18, 2015, 06:04:15 pm »
Big track?

The big track!

Nice!!
The BMW dealer I know charges $500 for their track day there. $200 is a bargain.

Pfaff usually charges $500 as well, must be some sort of deal/introductory offer.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:31 pm »
Good luck. Hope it goes well.

It did! 

I must add that St. Mike's was my account in my radiology sales days in the late 1990s, and it was my favourite place to visit. It was a church in the 1800s that was converted into a hospital during a diptheria outbreak. There's a serene vibe when you enter those doors.

Going there as the partner of a patient in 2015, I want to say that the staff at the clinic was simply amazing - kind, cheerful, welcoming and very forthcoming with information. Despite the apprehension we both felt about the procedure, we were made to feel at ease and in good hands. Stellar bedside manner on all counts.

I drove him home after all was said and done, and within an hour of my leaving his place, he was reporting that his first fragment had passed.  Considering that the original stone (that was stuck in his ureter since June 30) was 1 cm, a >2mm chunk was a piece of cake.  The technology did its job.  He's a bit sore from the shock waves hitting his back for 30 minutes, but he is in good spirits overall.

Happy.   :)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11652 on: August 18, 2015, 11:07:29 pm »
Boss.
What caused the stones in his case?
Railton

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: August 18, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »
Good luck. Hope it goes well.

It did! 

I must add that St. Mike's was my account in my radiology sales days in the late 1990s, and it was my favourite place to visit. It was a church in the 1800s that was converted into a hospital during a diptheria outbreak. There's a serene vibe when you enter those doors.

Going there as the partner of a patient in 2015, I want to say that the staff at the clinic was simply amazing - kind, cheerful, welcoming and very forthcoming with information. Despite the apprehension we both felt about the procedure, we were made to feel at ease and in good hands. Stellar bedside manner on all counts.

I drove him home after all was said and done, and within an hour of my leaving his place, he was reporting that his first fragment had passed.  Considering that the original stone (that was stuck in his ureter since June 30) was 1 cm, a >2mm chunk was a piece of cake.  The technology did its job.  He's a bit sore from the shock waves hitting his back for 30 minutes, but he is in good spirits overall.

Happy.   :)

Do they still partially submerge you in a tub of liquid, or has it changed?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11654 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:01 am »
Dbacks/Pirates tied at 8 after 14 innings.  Could be a long night.

Edit: spoke too soon.  Pirates win 9-8 in 15.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:20:33 am by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11655 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:21 am »
Big track?

The big track!

Nice!!
The BMW dealer I know charges $500 for their track day there. $200 is a bargain.

Pfaff usually charges $500 as well, must be some sort of deal/introductory offer.

Pfaff recently acquired BMW of Mississauga, where I bought my car, so I think this may have been their first BMW only event. Maybe that has something to do with the pricing. It was a blast thought. I'll do a summary when I have the time.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: August 19, 2015, 07:32:26 am »
Boss.
What caused the stones in his case?
Railton

Nobody knows just yet.  He has to mail the fragments back to the clinic, where they will analyze their composition.  I'm told that once we know what they're made of, there may be options for prevention.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11657 on: August 19, 2015, 11:45:32 am »
When I refinanced the house, the banker asked if I wanted mortgage insurance. I agreed to get a quote done, just out of curiosity.
It came back at $115/month. Uh...

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #11658 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
When I refinanced the house, the banker asked if I wanted mortgage insurance. I agreed to get a quote done, just out of curiosity.

That's obscene, as is every credit balance insurance option. Your quote must be 3 or 4x the price of plain old term life.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11659 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

Yeah, expensive and I think often a scam. They call it post approval or something. They take your money now, then after you die they decide whether or not to approve you.

Saw a doctor once in your life for a possible heart condition? Sorry, not approved. On medication for some health issue? Sorry, not approved.

Then they just give back the premiums you paid and they're done with you.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:55:54 am by HeliDriver »