Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3235726 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #11600 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:58 pm »
I once saw the International Space Station with the naked eye.  Was neat seing it move across the sky.

NASA makes it easy to find.  It's definitely worth doing.
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/#.VacGKvlBHX4

You have to get it in the dead of night.  Some of those near dawn dates it won't be dark enough to easily see IMO.

It's in the earth's shadow in the dead of night, you can see it most nights until about midnight and often twice per night.  Here is a great site that also gives magnitude (brightness) and where to look.

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:30 pm »
Watched the meteor shower yesterday.  Saw 25+ in an hour and 2 instances in what appeared to be the meteor breaking into 2 pieces.

Awesome!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11602 on: August 13, 2015, 08:36:08 am »
I spent about 15 minutes watching, right around midnight.  I was seeing at least one every 30 seconds, sometimes there was only a few seconds between.  Best action was in the north portion of the sky.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11603 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »
Well, interesting day for sure!  I just got off the phone with one of our corporate VPs after he called me at home and I'm on vacation.  It's never usually a good thing when that type of thing happens, but he immediately put me at ease and asked if I was interested in an acting management role for another major project similar to the one I worked on several years back and he needs an answer by next Monday when I return from vacation.  :o

A confidentiality agreement is standard fare for this type of thing, but it will involve lots of travel commuting weekly by air to the project location and could last for up to two years.  I really enjoyed the couple of years I spent on the last one, but my situation has changed quite a bit since and I know my wife will not like me being away for that long.  Last time I was away for four days out of the week, but I was only a couple hours drive away for most of that and much of it was local.  I also really like what I am doing now so it will be a difficult decision for sure.

#majordecisiontime  :-\

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11604 on: August 13, 2015, 02:51:48 pm »
Well, interesting day for sure!  I just got off the phone with one of our corporate VPs after he called me at home and I'm on vacation.  It's never usually a good thing when that type of thing happens, but he immediately put me at ease and asked if I was interested in an acting management role for another major project similar to the one I worked on several years back and he needs an answer by next Monday when I return from vacation.  :o

A confidentiality agreement is standard fare for this type of thing, but it will involve lots of travel commuting weekly by air to the project location and could last for up to two years.  I really enjoyed the couple of years I spent on the last one, but my situation has changed quite a bit since and I know my wife will not like me being away for that long.  Last time I was away for four days out of the week, but I was only a couple hours drive away for most of that and much of it was local.  I also really like what I am doing now so it will be a difficult decision for sure.

Tough call but if you say no will you be asked again?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: August 13, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

Well not for this project for sure, but he is an old college buddy of mine so he will understand either way so no worriees there.  It's more of a lost opportunity and some nice perks always come with these large capital projects but there's also lots coming up in the role I am in now.  Luckily I've worked my way into the most demanding skill sets within our company the last 10 years so I'm in a relatively good position within an industry that is downsizing somewhat in other areas.

Unfortunately I've also had some medical issues last few months that have me worried somewhat and that's a long story in itself, but really figures into the decision more than anything else.  For that reason alone it makes the decision possibly the hardest I've had to make in my entire career so far.  Fak!  :P

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11606 on: August 13, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »
Tough balance.  You want to be successful and happy at work, but you also want to be alive and still have a family.

It's a tough choice.  Good luck with the decision.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11607 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:39 pm »

Well not for this project for sure, but he is an old college buddy of mine so he will understand either way so no worriees there.  It's more of a lost opportunity and some nice perks always come with these large capital projects but there's also lots coming up in the role I am in now.  Luckily I've worked my way into the most demanding skill sets within our company the last 10 years so I'm in a relatively good position within an industry that is downsizing somewhat in other areas.

Unfortunately I've also had some medical issues last few months that have me worried somewhat and that's a long story in itself, but really figures into the decision more than anything else.  For that reason alone it makes the decision possibly the hardest I've had to make in my entire career so far.  Fak!  :P

You have to do what you have to do man  :) The biggest mistakes in my career have been turning down promotions when they presented themselves. Last one was 3 years ago for a top floor Bay Street job....people thought I was crazy when I said no thanks.....working from home in my PJ's and unshaven for half the pay is fun tho  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11608 on: August 13, 2015, 05:21:20 pm »

You have to do what you have to do man  :) The biggest mistakes in my career have been turning down promotions when they presented themselves. Last one was 3 years ago for a top floor Bay Street job....people thought I was crazy when I said no thanks.....working from home in my PJ's and unshaven for half the pay is fun tho  ;D

When I was traveling doing manufacturing eng. for a company, it was great for the 1st year or so.  Then it got old quick...especially sometimes being home only 5 days a month.  BS with the airport, BS with rentals, frequently eating out alone, etc, etc.  On the flip side, I made big money.

If I was offered the same job today for even more money, I'd turn it down.  Just not interested.  Happy with what I'm doing now for a fraction of the wage.  Plus I like being somewhat semi-retired with my 4 work days a week schedule.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
China warehouse explosion
« Reply #11609 on: August 13, 2015, 06:59:12 pm »
Holy crap!  Did anyone see the size of the explosion and the shockwave?

Looks like a whole bunch of new cars too the brunt of it...

Can anyone translate what these guys are saying?  Apart from "Holy sh*t!!"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9_lbtxzKSQ

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:00:52 pm by rrocket »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: China warehouse explosion
« Reply #11610 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »
Holy crap!  Did anyone see the size of the explosion and the shockwave?

Looks like a whole bunch of new cars too the brunt of it...

Can anyone translate what these guys are saying?  Apart from "Holy sh*t!!"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9_lbtxzKSQ

The magnitude of the blast was remarkable.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: August 13, 2015, 07:22:42 pm »
Wow. How many people were hurt or worse?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: August 13, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »

They are saying "hundreds" injured and 50 killed at this point.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #11613 on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »

Wow, that's a tough one Tom, which way are you leaning at this point?  I know that you're really content with what you're doing now, so I'm sure that makes you quite torn.  I remember a few years ago I got a job offer that was paying vastly more than I was making, but it required extensive travel.  I didn't want to be away from my family and chose quality of life over more money.  Best of luck with the decision, no doubt it won't be an easy one. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11614 on: August 13, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »
You mention your life has changed in the last few years, which is why the decision is more difficult.  How has it changed?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11615 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »

They are saying "hundreds" injured and 50 killed at this point.

An excellent collection of pictures from the scene at the link below.  What I want to know is, how did the cars remain so neatly in rows?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195477/Fifty-people-injured-enormous-blast-explosives-shipment-hits-Chinese-city.html

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11616 on: August 14, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »
Holy cr@p...the guy who died in this crash last night works (worked) in my building.  Too bad, he was a nice guy.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/two-killed-in-motorcycle-crash-near-winchester
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: August 14, 2015, 01:29:25 pm »
Holy cr@p...the guy who died in this crash last night works (worked) in my building.  Too bad, he was a nice guy.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/two-killed-in-motorcycle-crash-near-winchester

Sad news man!  :(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:32:47 pm by KDS2K »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:54 pm »
You mention your life has changed in the last few years, which is why the decision is more difficult.  How has it changed?

Briefly:

1) Wife - There are just the two of us at home and she doesn't feel that secure being left alone for that long esp when I have to rely on air travel to return.  Lack of companionship is another issue as we are best friends and mostly hang out with each other. She had immediately family living close by last time I was away and a big-a$$ dog for security, but the dog is gone now and family has moved away.

2) Work situation - I hated what I was doing before the last opportunity came up and even though I was only given until the end of day to make a decision at that time I said yes before the end of the call.

3) Medical stuff - not even gonna go there... :P

Anyway, I've read and appreciated the comments folks and after talking about it with the missus last night I think I've made up my mind, but a couple of phone calls Monday morning should cement my position.  :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: August 14, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »
Just got home and one of our neighbors has a live band playing in their back yard.   :fiver: