Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3235641 times)

Northernridge

Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #11160 on: May 13, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »
I still think if he lawyers up, he wins a wrongful dismissal case...

Most likely. Maybe not wrongful dismissal but a large severance package for sure. It's super hard to dismiss an employee for cause and not be liable for severance.

I know a number of corporate execs. who deliberately put lousy employees on a path to quitting to avoid paying severance. They make the job intolerable.

Anybody can be terminated in Ontario, however it comes at a cost.

Yup, same as everywhere. In MB, an employer will pay 2-3 weeks income per year of service for pretty much any type of termination.

An employer can terminate any employee at any time but as you say, they will pay.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: May 13, 2015, 07:57:09 pm »
I still think if he lawyers up, he wins a wrongful dismissal case...

Most likely. Maybe not wrongful dismissal but a large severance package for sure. It's super hard to dismiss an employee for cause and not be liable for severance.

I know a number of corporate execs. who deliberately put lousy employees on a path to quitting to avoid paying severance. They make the job intolerable.

Anybody can be terminated in Ontario, however it comes at a cost.

Yup, same as everywhere. In MB, an employer will pay 2-3 weeks income per year of service for pretty much any type of termination.

An employer can terminate any employee at any time but as you say, they will pay.

Many people seem not to know this though and just accept walking away when they get terminated.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11162 on: May 16, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
I purposely didn't win last night's Lottomax jackpot just so more Maxmillions prizes would be created for my friends to win next Friday.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11163 on: May 17, 2015, 06:09:54 am »
Not for me!  I couldn't stand the quiet out there. How do you get fast internet? Too far for DSL on the phone line.     If the river runs all year I suppose one could  use a water to air heat pump for cheap heating or ground source it it isn't solid rock a couple of feet down.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11164 on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:10 am »
Not for me!  I couldn't stand the quiet out there. How do you get fast internet? Too far for DSL on the phone line.     If the river runs all year I suppose one could  use a water to air heat pump for cheap heating or ground source it it isn't solid rock a couple of feet down.
I think it is hard now to get approval to use river water for heat pumps since the returning water is at a different temperture .

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11165 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:40 am »

It wouldn't just be the internet.. It would be cable TV as well right?  Maybe cell phone providers have service out there, and he can create a hot spot. 

Just not sure what I would do with all the farm land... Lease it? 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: May 17, 2015, 07:59:42 am »
If you can get 50Mbs internet reliably you can get most of the useful stuff and a satellite dish can fill in with TV stations.
But I bet there is no LTE cell service there.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11167 on: May 17, 2015, 08:11:54 am »
We have been talking about downsizing, plus I am really getting annoyed with the antics going on around my yard, with vandalism, so I was looking at some real estate. I would to move to a smaller community and just get more for our money.

I couldn't live in a Condo, or Townhouse, or a small lot.

I came across a place about 15 minutes east of Princeton BC, that I would like to go and have a look at. The home sits on 42 acres and backs on to the Similkemeen River. The house is an older rancher that looks to be in good shape, but would need some minor updating. Asking price under 550,000.
What I like about it, the house sits basically in the middle of the acreage, so neighbours are not right on your doorstep, property is basically low maintenance, as it is farmland.

If I could just convince Mrs. Slow Lane, I would be moving tomorrow. If we could convince one of the networks to revive Green Acres, Mrs. Slow Lane and I could become stars.

Below is a link showing the property. Click on one of the pictures to enlarge.

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15586446

That looks like paradise to me!  Nice that it's one level living and the river frontage with swimming hole is perfect.  My wife and I are having a similar dilemma last few years.  Not because of any neighborhood issues, but just want to live where I can drop my kayak in the river and go for a swim and with total privacy.  That place would be ideal although a little too much building maintenance for my liking. That work shop is great if you have a use for it, but not sure how I could utilize and maintain that much space.  As you are not far from the hwy there is probably access to high-speed inet via 700 LTE, but not sure what a data plan costs these days.  :-\

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: May 17, 2015, 08:47:58 am »
I just took another look. I cannot get the address to match Google maps.    I wonder why they don't just put lat and long

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:15 am »
I just took another look. I cannot get the address to match Google maps.    I wonder why they don't just put lat and long

Exactly!  With coordinates I could probably find out if there is cell coverage.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #11170 on: May 17, 2015, 10:00:06 am »

Have fun with this in the meantime.  http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: May 17, 2015, 10:47:26 am »

Have fun with this in the meantime.  http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
Looks like just a Rogers tower at Princeton and a Telus tower at Hedley and the house is between those two places.     It is a shame that map does not show ntowers that offer OTA internet like Xplornet and so on.   I presume that rural Bell towers do tho'.

KarlsD  I zoomed out on the map in the ad until I saw Old Hedley Road running just the other side of the river...still not an accurate view but closer.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:49:22 am by tpl »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: May 17, 2015, 03:58:27 pm »

It wouldn't just be the internet.. It would be cable TV as well right?  Maybe cell phone providers have service out there, and he can create a hot spot. 

Just not sure what I would do with all the farm land... Lease it?

When I was just a lad, our family lived on a farm in Saskatchewan, so isolation doesn't bother me. 

I have thought of all the positives and negatives about owning a place in the middle of well nowhere. Before I would purchase, Mrs. Slow Lane would have to be on board.

I would certainly explore the possibility of putting in geothermal heating/cooling, and leasing out the farmland. I could give up TV quite easy. In the non winter months, I could sit out on the deck with a good book, listen to the sound of the river.

Depending on difference in price, as I would get a lot more then the asking price of this place, I would like to gut the interior, and reverse the floor plan so that large windows could be put in overlooking the river. That bathroom would be the first thing to be redone, horrid.

I don't use my cell phone very much, maybe a few minutes a month, so cell phone service is not a big deal at this time. As for internet, my sister lives in an isolated area and she solved her problem with a Rogers internet stick for her laptop, so I could explore that also.

But at this point, its only a dream.

That requires cell service.  :) 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #11173 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »
Congrats to Grande Pointe, Manitoba's, Kenny Lang, on his Pro Modified win, at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Commerce, GA.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #11174 on: May 18, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
Congrats to Grande Pointe, Manitoba's, Kenny Lang, on his Pro Modified win, at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Commerce, GA.
I knew summit good would come out of it!  Hehe.  Good stuff!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Tweet Thread
« Reply #11175 on: May 18, 2015, 06:38:59 pm »
Better get to it before it expires.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11176 on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:15 pm »
Check out this go-kart.

http://theflatworks.com/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: May 19, 2015, 06:33:20 pm »
Anyone here??!?!  :rofl: :rofl:

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/mercedes-suv-crashes-into-three-cars-then-flips-in-parking-job-gone-awry-on-a-quiet-toronto-street

Oh noes!! Unintended acceleration brought to you by Mercedes-Benz.  :rofl:

On a serious note, glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile