Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3222152 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #15080 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:51 pm »
^
"Relax" is what I was told

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15081 on: March 27, 2018, 01:15:05 pm »
^
That will grow old fast.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15082 on: March 27, 2018, 01:45:15 pm »
^ Definitely. 
The Relax was the first to-do.  Not sure what his plan is.. will find out more this afternoon

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #15083 on: March 27, 2018, 02:39:51 pm »
Maybe I should hire part time retirees.  Pretty flexible hours. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15084 on: March 28, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
No idea where to post this.  Don't feel like starting a new thread.

My wife's parents want to get rid of their upright piano.  My wife want's it at the new house.  Her reason is it won't be expensive, and she likes to play (she hasn't played in over 20 years).  Also, she says the kids could play too.  That's all I need another activity for the kids, girl guides, spanish, and swimming. 

I really don't want it.  Been arguing all week over it.  She's never pulled the I can have it if I want card before. 

My idea was to try a small digital keyboard.  If she plays that enough, then get the other one.  But I suspect, after a couple of months, it will sit there in the family room collecting dust.

I said I want a pool table, she says that costs more, so the argument isn't the same. 

Not really sure what to do.

Get both.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15085 on: March 28, 2018, 12:54:23 pm »
^
That will grow old fast.
Railton

If you plan to just "relax" in retirement you'll be dead in 5 years. The human mind and body needs to be busy.

My retirement plan includes a lot of relaxing,  by that I mean a lot of driving sportscars in anger, motorcycles through backroads and trails, boats on lakes and oceans, etc. , maybe a motorhome across NA.   Keeping everything running will keep my mind busy enough I bet.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15086 on: March 28, 2018, 02:06:03 pm »
I cycle and hike with a lot of retired people and they are some of the busiest people I know.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: March 28, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
I don’t see the value in arguing over a free piano.  I’d say, sure, why not.  But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not hard to find a free used piano.  It's moving them, having it tuned.  Having to listen to the lack of real music that will be played on it.

I am 100% with you! Do NOT get that free piano.
Moving and tuning will be killers. And eventually it will sit somewhere in the corner unloved and unwanted.
Buy a good used digital piano ~$1,000-~1,500 from either Roland or Yamaha. They keep their value and you don't have to hear your wife or your kids practice (they can wear headphones).

I went through:
1) Cheap $800 Casio from Costco which went back after 3 month due to electronic and mechanical problems. Thank you Costco for "no hassle" return policy
2) Digital Kawai (~$2,000) - too many problems. All fixed under warranty but still - 5 warranty visits in less than 2 years was too much.
3) Baby Grand. 5'10" 130 year old Knabe. Sounds nice (when in tune) but you can't mute that thing so it didn't see as much action as it should have been. Besides, old beat up action will not be good to learn up the correct touch and extract the desired tone. It had to go.
4) Roland. Bought about 2 years ago. Traded my Kawai for it and never looked back. Simply awesome. Yes, it is expensive at ~$2,500 new but it is worth it and it keeps its value very well.

Please, don't bring any old piano's home. They don't get better with age, and you will not enjoy it in the least.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15088 on: March 28, 2018, 06:35:09 pm »
I don’t see the value in arguing over a free piano.  I’d say, sure, why not.  But that’s just me.

Not hard to find a free used piano.  It's moving them, having it tuned.  Having to listen to the lack of real music that will be played on it.

I am 100% with you! Do NOT get that free piano.
Moving and tuning will be killers. And eventually it will sit somewhere in the corner unloved and unwanted.
Buy a good used digital piano ~$1,000-~1,500 from either Roland or Yamaha. They keep their value and you don't have to hear your wife or your kids practice (they can wear headphones).

I went through:
1) Cheap $800 Casio from Costco which went back after 3 month due to electronic and mechanical problems. Thank you Costco for "no hassle" return policy
2) Digital Kawai (~$2,000) - too many problems. All fixed under warranty but still - 5 warranty visits in less than 2 years was too much.
3) Baby Grand. 5'10" 130 year old Knabe. Sounds nice (when in tune) but you can't mute that thing so it didn't see as much action as it should have been. Besides, old beat up action will not be good to learn up the correct touch and extract the desired tone. It had to go.
4) Roland. Bought about 2 years ago. Traded my Kawai for it and never looked back. Simply awesome. Yes, it is expensive at ~$2,500 new but it is worth it and it keeps its value very well.

Please, don't bring any old piano's home. They don't get better with age, and you will not enjoy it in the least.
Have disagree with you , if it is good condition , it is a good deal
Our kids enjoy the piano when we had it , now our granddaughter enjoyes playing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: March 28, 2018, 06:50:46 pm »
Well I will update you all in a few years as to the status!  Quote to move the Piano from Sarnia to Ancaster (210km), from main floor to main floor.  And to have it tuned was $450 plus tax.  Told wife if she wants it.  She has to work an OT shift at Sick Kids to cover it!

Now I have this "favor" saved up. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15090 on: March 28, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
We have a Yamaha piano that we bought years ago, plus we bought a digital keyboard for daughter no 2. I don’t see what the  problem is.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: March 28, 2018, 07:18:22 pm »
We have a Yamaha piano that we bought years ago, plus we bought a digital keyboard for daughter no 2. I don’t see what the  problem is.

Problem is, just like an old car, piano loses its value and becomes a money pit if maintained at its peak (read "normal") performance. Did you now that there are 50+ moving parts per piano key? And there are 88 keys! Tuning is only part of the game. Regulation becomes a real nightmare in an old piano. I've been there, I know. I bought books and parts and wanted to replace parts by myself. It is nor a DIY job. And it's not cheap.

If your goal is to teach your kid to play Twinkle-twinkle, that's one thing. If you want to play Listz or Beethoven on it - FOR-GET-IT. That's the difference between art and hacking.

It is coming from someone who spends at least 1 hour a day at the piano. No, I am not good, but I do appreciate the instrument and understand the nuances of playing.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: March 28, 2018, 07:19:36 pm »
Well I will update you all in a few years as to the status!  Quote to move the Piano from Sarnia to Ancaster (210km), from main floor to main floor.  And to have it tuned was $450 plus tax.  Told wife if she wants it.  She has to work an OT shift at Sick Kids to cover it!

Now I have this "favor" saved up.

As a fellow "male", I approve this message  ;D Pardon my political incorrectness

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: March 28, 2018, 07:50:02 pm »

Problem is, just like an old car, piano loses its value and becomes a money pit if maintained at its peak (read "normal") performance. Did you now that there are 50+ moving parts per piano key? And there are 88 keys! Tuning is only part of the game. Regulation becomes a real nightmare in an old piano. I've been there, I know. I bought books and parts and wanted to replace parts by myself. It is nor a DIY job. And it's not cheap.

If your goal is to teach your kid to play Twinkle-twinkle, that's one thing. If you want to play Listz or Beethoven on it - FOR-GET-IT. That's the difference between art and hacking.

It is coming from someone who spends at least 1 hour a day at the piano. No, I am not good, but I do appreciate the instrument and understand the nuances of playing.

For us, we are not losing much money.  The piano is free.  As mentioned.  My worry is it's just gonna sit there.  I would be happy if it was played (with music) once a week.  I am not looking for Art. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: March 28, 2018, 08:01:48 pm »
For us, we are not losing much money.  The piano is free.  As mentioned.  My worry is it's just gonna sit there.  I would be happy if it was played (with music) once a week.  I am not looking for Art.

Sure, the piano is free. That makes the maintenance costs an infinity compare to the acquisition costs.
It will just sit there, as you said. BTW, how old is the piano? And what is it?
A Yamaha, even an older one, might be ok.
Anything older that doesn't stay in tune is like dragging an old piece of furniture into your bedroom. It'll just sit there.
No, I do not sell pianos.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »

Sure, the piano is free. That makes the maintenance costs an infinity compare to the acquisition costs.
Anything older that doesn't stay in tune is like dragging an old piece of furniture into your bedroom. It'll just sit there.

Sorry, I have no details of it.  So I am not remotely interested in it.  It doesn't really matter to me. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: March 28, 2018, 08:20:45 pm »

I know what you mean.  I refused to buy skates for my daughters, or gymnastics outfits, and told them they’d  have to find her own way to the rink or gym.

No, wait, if I remember correctly, I encouraged them and helped them  grow and enjoy what they did.

I guess I failed as a parent by not saying ‘you’re noisy and I don’t like it, go screw yourself’.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:55 pm »

I hope you never buy a car that you don’t drive at least 2 hours a day.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15098 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:48 pm »
^  I could be wrong, but I don't think TP was directing his comments at you. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: March 28, 2018, 10:57:53 pm »
^  I could be wrong, but I don't think TP was directing his comments at you.

I assume he did.  As his comments were posted 2 minutes after mine.  And after my last statement, he didn't try and correct me.