Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3222338 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #14900 on: January 28, 2018, 12:27:18 am »
Oops...https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/3-year-old-girl-seriously-injured-by-pit-bull-in-northeast-calgary/ar-BBIjnSW?li=AAggFp5

7 years...family pet.  If only they didn't think they needed the cool tough dog...a Golden wouldn't have done that.  Cops should've put a gun in its mouth and snuffed it out in front of the family. 

NE Calgary.....yeah....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14901 on: January 28, 2018, 05:20:06 am »
I suspect most dog bites are the fault of the dogs owner. Although I do agree that some breeds are far more aggressive than others and seem to attract the wrong kind of owners.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: January 29, 2018, 06:43:13 am »
News item on the BBC, apparently so many US military people use Strava that the latest heat map clearly outlines US bases all over the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14903 on: January 31, 2018, 12:10:44 am »

@MIHomeYGK Stranded Tesla southbound Division at Dalton Ave in the turn lane, must be about 300m from the charging station. Tow truck on scene.
9:39 AM - 30 Jan 2018

;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14904 on: January 31, 2018, 07:24:03 am »
I'm going to kick that mountain's ass. #piestewapeak

I'm tackling the Piestewa Peak Summit Trail next month in Phoenix.  I made it halfway up a few years ago.  This time, I'm going to finish the job.
https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations/piestewa-peak/hiking-trail-map
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:05:15 am by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14905 on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:59 am »

@MIHomeYGK Stranded Tesla southbound Division at Dalton Ave in the turn lane, must be about 300m from the charging station. Tow truck on scene.
9:39 AM - 30 Jan 2018

;D

"So near and yet so far"  :rofl:

Can't roadside just deliver a can of amps?  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14906 on: January 31, 2018, 01:34:42 pm »
Heard an interesting one at work  yesterday.   A friend's FIL recently sold his old Accord with close to 300k on it for $4k.   A week or so later he gets a call from MTO, there seems to be some discrepancy with the mileage and price as the new owner is trying to register it with 90k on it and a price of $10k that they just paid for it.

The FIL said he sold it to "some east-indian guy who seemed a bit fishy, said he was going to tow it but showed up with dealer plates and drove off,  said he was from Ottawa but left here for Toronto".  Seems he never registered it in his name, rolled back the odometer and sold it a couple days later in Toronto to some unsuspecting sucker.  Dunno if anything will come of it.

Watch out folks

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #14907 on: January 31, 2018, 01:52:53 pm »
With any vehicle I've sold I go down, with the buyer, to the motor vehicle branch to get the vehicle transferred into their name.
There is NO WAY I'd sign the transfer papers, take the payment, and let them go on their merry way without seeing them transfer the vehicle to their name.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #14908 on: January 31, 2018, 01:57:39 pm »
With any vehicle I've sold I go down, with the buyer, to the motor vehicle branch to get the vehicle transferred into their name.
There is NO WAY I'd sign the transfer papers, take the payment, and let them go on their merry way without seeing them transfer the vehicle to their name.

Doesn't the seller also sign the transfer papers? Is that not proof enough that its the buyer's car now?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14909 on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:02 pm »

Doesn't the seller also sign the transfer papers? Is that not proof enough that its the buyer's car now?

Good thing you trusted me!   ;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #14910 on: January 31, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »

I knew where you lived :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14911 on: January 31, 2018, 04:18:06 pm »

I knew where you lived :)

It's worth the drive to Burlington!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14912 on: January 31, 2018, 06:17:12 pm »

I'm tackling the Piestewa Peak Summit Trail next month in Phoenix.  I made it halfway up a few years ago.  This time, I'm going to finish the job.

Sounds amazing!  You can do it!  :D

Allow me to offer some unsolicited advice:  Bring good hiking boots, a real backpack with a water reservoir, a hat and hiking poles.  Wear no cotton!  Leave those jeans at home.  You want lightweight wicking fabrics that breathe.  Merino wool socks are also a must.  People really underestimate how important your gear becomes on challenging terrain.

On Saturday's hike (which was only 10K but turned out to be mud and ice the entire time, up and down some steep hills), we had a noob.  Mr Noob loved walking but also had big feet (size 15), which made it difficult for him to find hiking boots in regular stores.  He was wearing the sturdiest boots he owned: leather Dakotas with steel toes.  He was used to wearing them at work and walked a lot for a living and found them very comfortable.  Ok, fine.

Halfway through this very sweaty annoying hike, which took four hours, he started mentioning that his heel was hurting.  Turns out he was wearing cotton socks and had a wicked hot spot/blister.  We were able to tape him up to get through the last 5K, but he was limping and miserable the rest of the way, with sweat-soaked cotton socks on his feet.  He would not have had such a major issue had he been wearing wool socks.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14913 on: January 31, 2018, 08:11:00 pm »

Allow me to offer some unsolicited advice:  Bring good hiking boots, a real backpack with a water reservoir, a hat and hiking poles.  Wear no cotton!  Leave those jeans at home.  You want lightweight wicking fabrics that breathe.  Merino wool socks are also a must.  People really underestimate how important your gear becomes on challenging terrain.

On Saturday's hike (which was only 10K but turned out to be mud and ice the entire time, up and down some steep hills), we had a noob.  Mr Noob loved walking but also had big feet (size 15), which made it difficult for him to find hiking boots in regular stores.  He was wearing the sturdiest boots he owned: leather Dakotas with steel toes.  He was used to wearing them at work and walked a lot for a living and found them very comfortable.  Ok, fine.

Halfway through this very sweaty annoying hike, which took four hours, he started mentioning that his heel was hurting.  Turns out he was wearing cotton socks and had a wicked hot spot/blister.  We were able to tape him up to get through the last 5K, but he was limping and miserable the rest of the way, with sweat-soaked cotton socks on his feet.  He would not have had such a major issue had he been wearing wool socks.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, Brig!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14914 on: January 31, 2018, 08:56:17 pm »

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, Brig!

My pleasure.  PM me if you want to get into the nitty-gritty, but do head to your local MEC store for the good stuff (and if your boots fail you, they'll take them back).  I expect to see pics of you and the view at the summit!   ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14915 on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:23 pm »
A new person cut my hair today. "You have beautiful silver hair!. Very distinguished looking." I was dressed like a hobo (flatcap, ancient battered brown leather jacket, carhartt pants and wool hoodie) and unshaven. Alright, you've earned your tip.  :rofl2:

I will say this, it was the perfect getup to get attention when I went to my bank downtown. "CAN, I help you....sir?"  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:14 pm »
A new person cut my hair today. "You have beautiful silver hair!. Very distinguished looking." I was dressed like a hobo (flatcap, ancient battered brown leather jacket, carhartt pants and wool hoodie) and unshaven. Alright, you've earned your tip.  :rofl2:

I will say this, it was the perfect getup to get attention when I went to my bank downtown. "CAN, I help you....sir?"  ;D

Silver Fox....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: February 01, 2018, 08:10:32 pm »
Silver hobo

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:20 pm »
The kiddo and I went to the Western Development museum in Moosejaw today. It's a pretty impressive little museum with lots of old cars, a few locomotives, old railcars, snow machines and planes.

They completed a Vickers Vedette replica a little while ago and I wanted to see it. Such a cool old beast. Basically a canoe with wings and an engine.

I should have taken some pictures, but it's pretty well identical to the one at the museum in Winnipeg:

No original ones survived, and only these two replicas exist.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:36 pm »
That's really cool!