Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3222659 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #14680 on: October 07, 2017, 08:09:13 am »
Heading Ottawa for the weekend ,was hoping to see the sun shining on the trees along 45/#7, but it raining out 😢
Might take the 401/416 now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: October 14, 2017, 10:39:33 am »
Just finishing Irish Coffee #1
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #14682 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:07 pm »
Made the jump to 4K yesterday and it is glorious!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #14683 on: October 16, 2017, 02:30:51 pm »
We must have details!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: October 16, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
We must have details!
Railton

Just set up the X900E tv and STR-DN1080 avr yesterday.  We are still in a condo while we look for a house so just went with a 2.1 setup using my old speakers for now.  It is plenty for the small space.  We are sitting about 10-11' away from the 65" screen.  Watched natgeo 4k videos off youtube.  I was embarrassed by how engrossed I was watching a damn cheetah run in slow motion.

Had to upgrade my Netflix membership to access the Ultra HD and HDR content.  Watched a few scenes from Daredevil, and then watched Sunday Night Football.  NFL was obviously not in 4K.

The Sony does a great job "upscaling" the 1080 content to 4K, looks excellent.  The blacks are very deep.  If all the lights are turned off, and the TV screen goes black, there is no glow whatsoever. I cannot even see the remote in my hand in front of my face.

Tonight I'll do some calibrating on the AVR, and see what the PS3 games look like on the TV.  Have about 4 games to beat before I pick up the PS4 at black friday! 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #14685 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »
.. pick up the PS4 at black friday!

I'm thinking this too.  The "Pro" PS4 is 4K correct?  I assume the 'regular' PS4 is not
So.. of course i'd go Pro.  Thus launching myself down the "upgrade everything" slope... need a 65" 4K screen of course,  and maybe new receiver...

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: October 16, 2017, 03:35:46 pm »

I'm thinking this too.  The "Pro" PS4 is 4K correct?  I assume the 'regular' PS4 is not
So.. of course i'd go Pro.  Thus launching myself down the "upgrade everything" slope... need a 65" 4K screen of course,  and maybe new receiver...

The PS4 Pro uses some clever software technique called checkerboarding to upscale content to 4K.  Sony says it is 4K.  Microsoft says it isn't REAL 4K because the XBOX One X can output native 4K content with no software gimmicks.

Coming from an 8-yr old system, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (and I don't think the experts can either IMO) so I'm going for the PS4 Pro because it has better games IMO.

Yea, the upgrade cycle is vicious, but the hours I spend with GT Sport will make it all worth it!  Check out the latest GT Sport videos.  It looks gorgeous.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #14687 on: October 16, 2017, 03:55:46 pm »
Just set up the X900E tv and STR-DN1080 avr yesterday.  We are still in a condo while we look for a house so just went with a 2.1 setup using my old speakers for now.  It is plenty for the small space.  We are sitting about 10-11' away from the 65" screen.  Watched natgeo 4k videos off youtube.  I was embarrassed by how engrossed I was watching a damn cheetah run in slow motion.

Had to upgrade my Netflix membership to access the Ultra HD and HDR content.  Watched a few scenes from Daredevil, and then watched Sunday Night Football.  NFL was obviously not in 4K.

The Sony does a great job "upscaling" the 1080 content to 4K, looks excellent.  The blacks are very deep.  If all the lights are turned off, and the TV screen goes black, there is no glow whatsoever. I cannot even see the remote in my hand in front of my face.

Tonight I'll do some calibrating on the AVR, and see what the PS3 games look like on the TV.  Have about 4 games to beat before I pick up the PS4 at black friday!

Try 'Around the world in 4K' videos. They're nice too.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: October 16, 2017, 04:03:20 pm »

Try 'Around the world in 4K' videos. They're nice too.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll check it out tonight.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14689 on: October 16, 2017, 07:47:00 pm »

Hey if your upgrading TV's, let me know, I need one for the deck.  It will go well with your lawnmower that I still have in my backyard. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: October 16, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »
^ That goes for anyone.  I am looking for a 40" to 52" flat screen for the deck, nothing special.  So if your upgrading over the holidays, I am willing to purchase the older one. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14691 on: October 16, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #14693 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:13 am »
^ Oh great, now I have to upgrade my car too... thanks man   ;D

In other news:
Fack me the VR thing is another $500?   :fall:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:36:26 am by Weels »

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:19 am »
^ Oh great, now I have to upgrade my car too... thanks man   ;D

In other news:
Fack me the VR thing is another $500?   :fall:

"Limited Edition of 1 of 1 has already sold though." Hahaha

Meh - I don't know about the whole VR thing yet.  Will see what they come up with for it at the next E3 before I take the plunge.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:20:05 am by SearhardBurger »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
I was stopped at a red light today, when the car behind me after stopping, started going forward although the light had not changed. He hits my rear bumper, so I get out, as does he and I suggest that we turn into the mall and look to see if there is any damage.

We both pull into the mall, and he gets out and looks at my bumper. He remarks,"looks like I marked it up a bit."  When I looked at the mark, I told him , "that mark was my fault, where our bumpers met, there no marks or scratches so nothing to worry about." We looked at his bumper and nary a mark. He thanked me for my honesty, and I said, "All is good. Not my style to take advantage of a situation to correct something that was my fault".

My integrity, I believe is still intact.

Was he on his cell or something?  How do you rear end someone AFTER you stop?   ???

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: October 17, 2017, 06:50:13 pm »
I was stopped at a red light today, when the car behind me after stopping, started going forward although the light had not changed. He hits my rear bumper, so I get out, as does he and I suggest that we turn into the mall and look to see if there is any damage.

We both pull into the mall, and he gets out and looks at my bumper. He remarks,"looks like I marked it up a bit."  When I looked at the mark, I told him , "that mark was my fault, where our bumpers met, there no marks or scratches so nothing to worry about." We looked at his bumper and nary a mark. He thanked me for my honesty, and I said, "All is good. Not my style to take advantage of a situation to correct something that was my fault".

Was he on his cell or something?  How do you rear end someone AFTER you stop?   ???

It's too hard to keep your foot on the brake at the light.  Maybe that should be the next tech thing. 

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #14697 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:25 pm »

It's too hard to keep your foot on the brake at the light.  Maybe that should be the next tech thing.

Wouldn't pre-collision braking systems prevent this?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: October 17, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »

Wouldn't pre-collision braking systems prevent this?

I'd say no...depending on system.  That is unless you had the cruise control with such an option engaged at the time.

I got rear ended this way on the Ambassador Bridge.  Some airhead behind me dropped something in her car.  So naturally, when she went to pick it up she took her foot off the pedal and rear ended me.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: October 18, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »
Friends of ours bought a 2018 Camry...hadn't seen it yet.  Thought they had bought a Corolla...my kid wasn't very clear.  Drove up to the school yesterday to go watch some volleyball and from a distance it was like WTF is THAT! Pretty red car over there...what is that? :o :lick: :inlove:  Got closer and realized I just mini-lusted after a Camry!  Facking gorgeous car!  WTF Toyota!  You did it!  It doesn't look "beige" anymore! (at least not this trim)

Thought it odd they'd trade a Pilot on a Camry - but it was getting old, and I guess it's not so fuel friendly.  Can see why they liked it though, it's a looker.  Hope I can get a ride in it someday. (I'm low-rent on the "I want a ride" wagon)