Author Topic: Tweet Thread  (Read 3222643 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #10640 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:21 pm »
Strip searches should NOT be performed by school officials, that's insane.  I don't care what she did or pretended to do, those school officials need to be fired.

Not going to happen because they were following provincial policy.

I know, and apparently schools are exempt from the Charter of Rights' unreasonable search requirements.

That's bizarre, to me.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Yea....that's very bizarre.  How's that possible?

No right to free speech in schools either. Corporal punishment is (was?) still on the books in quite a few provinces, but I don't think anyone uses it now.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Re: Tweet Thread
« Reply #10641 on: February 18, 2015, 07:40:56 pm »
Talked to a contact in Edmonton. Relocating may be in the cards long term. Short term he put me in touch with a contact in Reading, Pennsylvania. That may happen. Not Tampa, but it's a start, I guess. :-\
Operations or projects?

Projects. The last number of years leaning more to electric transmission and distribution, but I've also done quite a bit of work on power production.

That kind of project can be delayed, but has to be done eventually.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

You would be a hot commodity here.

;D

The biggest issue with Ontario is working on OPG or Hydro projects. I've worked a bit with them, and they are pretty dysfunctional. I don't think I've seen worse management-labour relations than at OPG. It boggled my mind.

They sure as hell need a lot of infrastructure upgrades, at least based on the last bit of stuff I saw. 50 year old porcupine yard breakers that couldn't be exercised because nobody knew if they'd work or not. So you can't test your protection equipment because it might not work? W.T.F.
I hear there not much hiring on large at the moment
My brother is project manger team  on this project
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/powerup/copelandstation/Pages/CopelandStation.aspx

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: February 18, 2015, 07:44:17 pm »
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/powerup/copelandstation/Pages/CopelandStation.aspx

Oh! That's a cool project!  :thumbup:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10643 on: February 18, 2015, 07:44:26 pm »
Talked to a contact in Edmonton. Relocating may be in the cards long term. Short term he put me in touch with a contact in Reading, Pennsylvania. That may happen. Not Tampa, but it's a start, I guess. :-\
Operations or projects?

Projects. The last number of years leaning more to electric transmission and distribution, but I've also done quite a bit of work on power production.

That kind of project can be delayed, but has to be done eventually.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

You would be a hot commodity here.

;D

The biggest issue with Ontario is working on OPG or Hydro projects. I've worked a bit with them, and they are pretty dysfunctional. I don't think I've seen worse management-labour relations than at OPG. It boggled my mind.

They sure as hell need a lot of infrastructure upgrades, at least based on the last bit of stuff I saw. 50 year old porcupine yard breakers that couldn't be exercised because nobody knew if they'd work or not. So you can't test your protection equipment because it might not work? W.T.F.

Lots of hiring for Darlington and Bruce Nuclear

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:51 pm »

I'll take a look into those. I haven't done much nuclear work. :thumbup:

I did a water sampling station for Point Lepreau in NB. Everything had to be nuclear rated, even though this wasn't on the hot side. In a conventional plant, it would have been a couple of months, due to all the red tape and signoffs, it took over a year to complete.

My understanding is that things move somewhat quicker with Bruce, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:09:05 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: February 18, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »

No right to free speech in schools either. Corporal punishment is (was?) still on the books in quite a few provinces, but I don't think anyone uses it now.

How is it possible that a school can pick and choose which Rights you get while you're there.  Seems...wrong.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10646 on: February 18, 2015, 07:57:15 pm »

I did a water sampling station for Point Lepreau in NB. Everything had to be nuclear rated, even though this wasn't on the hot side. In a conventional plant, it would have been a couple of months, due to all the read tape and signoffs, it took over a year to complete.

My understanding is that things move somewhat quicker with Bruce, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Things move quicker at Bruce probably because it not part of OPG   ::)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10647 on: February 18, 2015, 07:59:08 pm »

I did a water sampling station for Point Lepreau in NB. Everything had to be nuclear rated, even though this wasn't on the hot side. In a conventional plant, it would have been a couple of months, due to all the read tape and signoffs, it took over a year to complete.

My wife has zero nuclear experience and they are after her.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: February 18, 2015, 07:59:53 pm »

I worker on a project for Bruce, they are worse than OPG.....if that is even possible.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:03 pm »

I worker on a project for Bruce, they are worse than OPG.....if that is even possible.

To be clear, I meant Bruce was quicker than NB Nuclear, not quicker than a conventional utility. Nukes are always going to need a shitload of approvals for anything.

Throw in AECL, and it's a wonder any nuke was built at all.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10650 on: February 18, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »

To be clear, I meant Bruce was quicker than NB Nuclear, not quicker than a conventional utility. Nukes are always going to need a shitload of approvals for anything.

Throw in AECL, and it's a wonder any nuke was built at all.

I wanted to stick a pen in my eye during a meeting with the Bruce guys to kill the pain.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: February 18, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »
I wanted to stick a pen in my eye during a meeting with the Bruce guys to kill the pain.

I completely get that. Same experience with the water sampling station project.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Tweet Thread
« Reply #10652 on: February 18, 2015, 08:49:15 pm »

How is it possible that a school can pick and choose which Rights you get while you're there.  Seems...wrong.

I heard that the Supreme Court had ruled that schools in Quebec don't have to follow the reasonable search provisions, I haven't looked into it.  Certainly baffling.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: February 18, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »
I think it boiled down to kids aren't over the age of consent. They are in the care of the school system, so the school system pretty much calls the shots.

Maybe Noto has a better explaination? He's somewhat useful. Sometimes.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:59 pm »
I think it boiled down to kids aren't over the age of consent. They are in the care of the school system, so the school system pretty much calls the shots.

So if the school calls the shots, are you saying they could discriminate someone who's handicapped or different race or religion?

Where is the line drawn?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:12 pm »

So if the school calls the shots, are you saying they could discriminate someone who's handicapped or different race or religion?

Where is the line drawn?

Do I look like Beverly McLaughlin?  :shake:

There are religious denominational schools, and various charter schools. My oldest daughter's school is for handicapped kids only, so in a sense that's discrimination. In NB she was in an integrated class, which really wasn't the right solution for her, but they didn't segregate regardless of the severity of the child's condition.

Schools aren't under any particular mandate to protect religious rights as far as I know, but they do seem to accommodate, for example, Jehovah's Witnesses with regards to Halloween and  Christmas. Some schools have prayer areas for Muslims and so on.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:27 pm »

Yes.  Yes you do.   ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: February 18, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »

Yes.  Yes you do.   ;D

She is a handsome woman.  ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: February 18, 2015, 11:54:10 pm »
Schools aren't under any particular mandate to protect religious rights as far as I know, but they do seem to accommodate, for example, Jehovah's Witnesses with regards to Halloween and  Christmas. Some schools have prayer areas for Muslims and so on.

Only much later in life did I understand why one of my elementary school classmates was never around for the national anthem in the morning.

While I strongly believe in secularism I find these sorts of accomodations pretty minor and easy to make. Having a separate, generic "room of worship" somewhere isn't that big a deal IMO. There's still a lot of Christian tradition on the calendar though (Easter is a holiday, Christmas, etc. although I would suggest that Christmas has taken on more of a cultural flavour than a religious one).

I do draw the line however on the Catholic board receiving public funds. That's just utter BS.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10659 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:46 am »

I do draw the line however on the Catholic board receiving public funds. That's just utter BS.

Initially I thought i agreed with this, but now I think its OK. As long as public can dictate standard curriculum and subjects I don't care what other things are taught. For instamce, If Muslim school network gets established I would hope it gets public funding as well so that they learn the same thing that other kids are learning

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D