Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Toyota Corolla CE  (Read 21852 times)

Never Satisfied

Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Toyota Corolla CE
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »
rrocket,

Yes, I think you are correct. They will not release that kind of info. I have been on this case for quite some time now because I would like one of these smaller vehicles that I like to be able to do the job, i.e., pack a small utility trailer to the dump. I have seen some cheaters out there bucking the system. A Kia Soul at the dump packing a trailer and a friend of mine sent me a snap of a Toyota Yaris with a rig attached behind it. You can beat the system, but who knows how the warranty will be affected.

Toytota does not list the 1.8 or even the 2.4 Corolla as trailer capable. Like I say, the only one listed officially is the 2.4 Matrix - 1500 lbs. The Scion XB with same equipment is not allowed. Must be this liability business as rrocket above states.

I was looking at the Mazda 3 Skyactiv. Great motor and the same one ( 155hp ) as the CX 5 which is rated to tow 2,000 pounds - it seems to have a slightly different frame. But, the CX 7 has the same kind of frame as the Mazda 3 ( unibody with triple H construction ) and is rated to haul 1500 pounds. My top choice for a vehicle right now is the Mazda 3 with this great new engine. But, no dice on the trailering. You will have to defy the system if you want your way.

Officially, as I say above, the Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus are listed for towing 1,000 pounds. Ditto for the new Chrysler 200. If these guys can do it then why not Toyota and Mazda? What gives??
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:27:08 pm by Never Satisfied »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
small cars like that aren't really designed for towing...very good chance it will hurt long term reliability...it's like all those people who buy minivans, load them up with all kinds of stuff (or use them as light duty work trucks), then complain about chewing through transmissions and numerous other problems...sure, you CAN do it, but it isn't really designed for it...if you want to tow, even infrequently, just rent a truck for the day...you can probably rent a truck for $100 and use it the entire day.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »
rrocket,

Yes, I think you are correct. They will not release that kind of info. I have been on this case for quite some time now because I would like one of these smaller vehicles that I like to be able to do the job, i.e., pack a small utility trailer to the dump. I have seen some cheaters out there bucking the system. A Kia Soul at the dump packing a trailer and a friend of mine sent me a snap of a Toyota Yaris with a rig attached behind it. You can beat the system, but who knows how the warranty will be affected.

I was told this directly from a Toyota engineer when I was at an SAE conference.  If they DO list towing weights, they're generally quite a bit less than the same car in the UK or other parts of the world.

I know in the IS series, there is no tow rating here, but the IS250 in the UK is rated for 1500lbs and Lexus even has a trailer hitch in teh Lexus Accessories catalog.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »
The "anti-car" is perfect.

Fascinating how well they sell though (along with the much-hated Civic). What other industry has high selling products that are universally criticized by pundits?

Of course, the Pundits, in all their wisdom, have to hate the Corolla since it doesn't have 400 hp and a soft touch interior. Nor was the product intro held in a five star resort in South Africa; instead it was in California where the Pundits had to share a Motel 6 room.

On the other hand, people who actually fork over their hard earned money love the Corolla. This model goes on the road for $21,049 taxes in, is cheap to run and is as reliable as a hammer. You could drive the thing for ten years and not spend a nickle on it and then hand it down to your kids. Nobody every bought a Corolla for speed or luxury; they are all about a cheap, reliable ride that will last a long time. That is why there are still LOADS of them on the streets around here.

In fact, we have a 2010 Corolla LE. I don't like the car, I find it crude and the driving position odd but Mrs Vanstar absolutely loves it. She likes it because it is easy to park, has good visibility and because it didn't cost a zillion dollars, she doesn't have to worry about it.

Thus, the person who drive the Corolla loves it and that is all the really matters. I am sure she'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:05 pm »
rrocket,

Toytota does not list the 1.8 or even the 2.4 Corolla as trailer capable. Like I say, the only one listed officially is the 2.4 Matrix - 1500 lbs. The Scion XB with same equipment is not allowed. Must be this liability business as rrocket above states.

I was looking at the Mazda 3 Skyactiv. Great motor and the same one ( 155hp ) as the CX 5 which is rated to tow 2,000 pounds - it seems to have a slightly different frame. But, the CX 7 has the same kind of frame as the Mazda 3 ( unibody with triple H construction ) and is rated to haul 1500 pounds. My top choice for a vehicle right now is the Mazda 3 with this great new engine. But, no dice on the trailering. You will have to defy the system if you want your way.

Officially, as I say above, the Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus are listed for towing 1,000 pounds. Ditto for the new Chrysler 200. If these guys can do it then why not Toyota and Mazda? What gives??

You're info is incorrect. Toyota does indicate that the Corolla (2012 at least) when equipped with the 2.4l engine is rated to tow up to 1,500lbs. There is a section dedicated to towing in the owners manual which you can download online.

Northernridge. Makes sense to me that the Corolla 2.4 is trailer capable. Same format as the Matrix XRS obviously. Just doesn't say anything about towing in their official site. Poor marketing I would say. The reason for my spending so much time on this topic is that the article in question here states that the 1.8 is capable of towing 1500 lbs in Canada. We know that it is not - officially - anyway.

As a side note, the 2.4 liter is about 6,000 dollars more than I would be willing to spend on a Corolla or Matrix. So, not worth it to me for trailer towing capabilities. At 24 grand we are into the SUVs and they are all trailer capable vehicles. And the same kind of fuel consumption as the relatively thirsty 2.4 liter. Part of the game here is fuel efficiency - in my books anyway.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »
I agree, most companies do not make it easy to find detailed towing info which is odd because consumers should not be guessing about towing. After towing large campers for years I've become a little fanatical about it. If Toyota doesn't endorse towing in a Corolla with the smaller engine, then don't. Others have pointed out durability and warranty issues, I'd also think about safety, you just don't want to mess around with
exceeding recommended limits. As some one else has stated maybe the best idea is to pick the car you like and rent/borrow a truck on occasion using some the thousands you'll have saved on the car.

I wholeheartedly agree of course. But, it would be handy as well to have a light weight utility trailer at your disposal as well ( 1000 pound max load ) for dumping duties ( I go to the dump a lot ) and for picking up your new furniture and appliances as well. If the Cruze and the Focus can do it then why not Toyota or Mazda?  I see this as an up and coming issue related to persistently high fuel costs. The demise of the pickup truck or SUV? A competitor at least. It's interesting that Chevrolet and Ford ( and now Chrysler ) have got their thumb on this one. I only went to look at the Focus and the Cruze because it says that they are my kind of dump vehicles. Totally utilitarian and fuel efficiency are my requirements. And, loaded with goodies at the right price. These vehicles do exist.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:42:06 pm by Never Satisfied »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »
rrocket,

I was told this directly from a Toyota engineer when I was at an SAE conference.  If they DO list towing weights, they're generally quite a bit less than the same car in the UK or other parts of the world.

I know in the IS series, there is no tow rating here, but the IS250 in the UK is rated for 1500lbs and Lexus even has a trailer hitch in the Lexus Accessories catalog.

I wonder if the UK/EU towing capability is assuming a MT whereas the NA assumes an automatic...or there is a strong smell of lawyer around somewhere.

if you were to sit by the side of the southbound lane of a French autoroute on the 1st weekend of July you would see the most amazing selection of small cars towing stuff.    You'd also see a whole pile of eagle-eyed Gendarmes pulling over any car they think is towing too much or with an unsafe setup...they are very hot on unsafe towing in the vacation season. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »
if you were to sit by the side of the southbound lane of a French autoroute on the 1st weekend of July you would see the most amazing selection of small cars towing stuff.

Did just that back in my hitchhiking days. Standing on the side of the autobahn watching endless lines of little cars hauling campers, usually Dutch headed for the Alps on holiday. Not a pickup in the lot.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »
OK. So here is part of my official comeback from Toyota Canada regarding the towing capabilities of the 2012 Toyota Corolla 1.8 litre. I asked them specifically if this particular unit could tow 1500 pounds as suggested in this current article. Please note that the response I got says nothing about the 1.8 litre. But, it does confirm the idea that the Corolla XRS can pull 1500 pounds. This info is not on their internet web site.

quote:

"....Please be advised only the 2012 Corolla XRS has the ability to tow. The gross trailer weight must never exceed 1500 lbs (680 kg).

We would like to take this opportunity to explain the 2012 Corolla XRS is designed primarily as a passenger-and-load-carrying vehicle. Towing a trailer can have an adverse impact on handling, performance, braking, durability, and fuel consumption. For your safety and the safety of others, you must not overload your vehicle or trailer. You must also ensure that you are using appropriate towing equipment, that the towing equipment has been installed correctly and used properly, and that you employ the requisite driving habits....."

So, the information only confirms that the larger 2.4 liter can tow. Like the Matrix XRS. But, I repeat, nothing about 1.8 towing credentials.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »
My 1995 Corolla Wagon with the 1.8 and 5 speed could tow 1500lbs, so could my 1.8L Vibe (Matrix). Now you need the 2.4L.  ::)

I've pointed it out before, but tow ratings are pretty arbitrary. The 1990 Crown Vic with the 150hp 5.0L and channel section frame could tow 5000lbs. The last generation Crown Vic with 240hp and a much stronger hydroformed frame was rated at only 2000lbs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 08:01:37 pm »
i get that in my Sonata no sweat 5.4-7.0 depending on hills etc

So what is it 5.4 or 7? Did you get 5.4 for the entire tank?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »
OK. So here is part of my official comeback from Toyota Canada regarding the towing capabilities of the 2012 Toyota Corolla 1.8 litre. I asked them specifically if this particular unit could tow 1500 pounds as suggested in this current article. Please note that the response I got says nothing about the 1.8 litre. But, it does confirm the idea that the Corolla XRS can pull 1500 pounds. This info is not on their internet web site.

quote:

"....Please be advised only the 2012 Corolla XRS has the ability to tow. The gross trailer weight must never exceed 1500 lbs (680 kg).

We would like to take this opportunity to explain the 2012 Corolla XRS is designed primarily as a passenger-and-load-carrying vehicle. Towing a trailer can have an adverse impact on handling, performance, braking, durability, and fuel consumption. For your safety and the safety of others, you must not overload your vehicle or trailer. You must also ensure that you are using appropriate towing equipment, that the towing equipment has been installed correctly and used properly, and that you employ the requisite driving habits....."

So, the information only confirms that the larger 2.4 liter can tow. Like the Matrix XRS. But, I repeat, nothing about 1.8 towing credentials.

All Corollas are rated to tow 1500 lbs. It's right on the Toyota Canada website under specs > weights and capacities. As far as I know, Corollas have been rated to tow 1500 lbs. for the last 15 years, and probably long before that. I've been towing up to 1000 lbs. with 2 successive Corollas for the last 9 years. I have at least 10,000 kms. of towing with the 2 Corollas. About half of that distance would have been towing around 900 lbs. The 1st one had the original clutch replaced at 290k, and no other drivetrain parts ever required replacement. The current one has 150k, original clutch, and the only parts replaced are the front wheel bearings.

Tow ratings need to be partnered with a healthy dose of common sense. If you need to tow 1500 lbs. to the dump, 3 km away, once a month, then any compact vehicle should be able to handle it. If you need to tow more than 1000 lbs., over longer distances, you should be looking for a bigger vehicle. Tow ratings are not absolute numbers. There are a lot of factors and variables.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:43:32 pm by kenm »
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »

Tow ratings need to be partnered with a healthy dose of common sense.

And there lies the problem with towing in North America.........most people have ZILCH for common sense.  Which is why car companies have significantly reduced tow rating..or omitted them altogether.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:52 am »

And there lies the problem with towing in North America.........most people have ZILCH for common sense.  Which is why car companies have significantly reduced tow rating..or omitted them altogether.

I think this has been less of a problem today. Most people are well aware of the tow capacity of their vehicles and err on the side of caution. I havent seen a 1/2 ton hauling a fifth wheel in ages.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:01 am »

I think this has been less of a problem today. Most people are well aware of the tow capacity of their vehicles and err on the side of caution. I havent seen a 1/2 ton hauling a fifth wheel in ages.

I mainly refer to the USA....common sense seems to be somewhat of a rarity there...

Never Satisfied

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:44 am »

quote:

All Corollas are rated to tow 1500 lbs. It's right on the Toyota Canada website under specs > weights and capacities. As far as I know, Corollas have been rated to tow 1500 lbs. for the last 15 years, and probably long before that. I've been towing up to 1000 lbs. with 2 successive Corollas for the last 9 years. I have at least 10,000 kms. of towing with the 2 Corollas. About half of that distance would have been towing around 900 lbs. The 1st one had the original clutch replaced at 290k, and no other drivetrain parts ever required replacement. The current one has 150k, original clutch, and the only parts replaced are the front wheel bearings.

Tow ratings need to be partnered with a healthy dose of common sense. If you need to tow 1500 lbs. to the dump, 3 km away, once a month, then any compact vehicle should be able to handle it. If you need to tow more than 1000 lbs., over longer distances, you should be looking for a bigger vehicle. Tow ratings are not absolute numbers. There are a lot of factors and variables.

kenm,

You are funny. What's a Toyota 12?  That is a US website. Sorry, but  your evidence is inadmissible in Canada. We are talking about Toyota Canada in the year 2012. This case is closed and has already been decided by Toyota Canada itself. Refer to their website. The 1.8 is not legally entitled to do 1500 pound trailering duties in Canada. She is like jailbait. Take your chances.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:05:27 pm by Never Satisfied »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »
I got confirmation from Toyota I could post this.  It is for the 2011 Corolla, but nothing has changed.  Refer to page 3 under 'Towing Capacity'.  Walk into a Toyota dealership I am certain you can pick up the hard copy of this as it is a PDF of the brochure

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/toyota/document/11corolla_e.pdf?ncid=13031

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:39 pm »
Wow, three pages on this car?  Youkiddingme?  Maybe you all are the answer to the question of why Toyota sells so very many of these.  ;D

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »
Wow, three pages on this car?  Youkiddingme?  Maybe you all are the answer to the question of why Toyota sells so very many of these.  ;D

Jaeger

I will answer this question. Toyota sells loads of these cars because people want an efficient, car that is both economical to buy and operate.Most drivers don't give a hoot about g-forces or canyon carving so they want a car that is comfortable, reliable, easy to drive and park. In short, this car is one that many people are willing to put their money on and keep it for a long time.

There are LOADS of these things on the street in Vancouver. Seems like one third of the cars I see are 2005- Corollas and another third Civics of some or other iteration. Both are cars gear heads love to hate but large sections of the public love to buy.

If I were in charge of product in Toyota, I would not do ANYTHING to mess with this success.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:29 pm »
Of course we all love to hate them, the Corolla/Civic are pretty well interchangeble, Im not saying buy a Triumph TR7 so you wont lose it in the parking lot, but at $20k plus, Id go used before buying a vehicle that has zero/nil/zip/zilcho personality.