Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Chevrolet Impala, 2000-2012  (Read 15026 times)

Offline SXT

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Mazda 6
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Chevrolet Impala, 2000-2012
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 09:34:55 pm »
My next door neighbour has owned a series of these cars, always buys new, bitches about this and that and invariably comes home with a shiny new one every couple of years. I think GM's strategy is to get guys like him into the dealership with repairs as often as possible so they can interest him in the latest and greatest on the showroom floor. After all, it is common knowledge that the new one is much improved over the old one, is it not?

Not me, once I get burned with a bad choice that brand is forever off my list.

I expect a brand new car to be reliable (basic maintenance) for at least 7-8 years and 100K km's.

Have to disagree.  Even brands known for good reliability, can have things go wrong.  So if an alternator goes on a Honda Civic on it's 5th year of ownership at 75k, Honda is forever off your list?

I draw the line at a repair that will cost more than $1000 to repair.
I doubt an alternator would cost more than $1000 to replace.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:38:43 pm by SXT »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 09:37:07 am »
My next door neighbour has owned a series of these cars, always buys new, bitches about this and that and invariably comes home with a shiny new one every couple of years. I think GM's strategy is to get guys like him into the dealership with repairs as often as possible so they can interest him in the latest and greatest on the showroom floor. After all, it is common knowledge that the new one is much improved over the old one, is it not?

I expect a brand new car to be reliable (basic maintenance) for at least 7-8 years and 100K km's.

Have to disagree.  Even brands known for good reliability, can have things go wrong.  So if an alternator goes on a Honda Civic on it's 5th year of ownership at 75k, Honda is forever off your list?

Well that's a different story.  You didnt say that before.  Most alternators would not cost that much, I can't speak for FGC, never owned one.  But the alternator on my Dad's 2008 Hyundai Entourage Limited was $834 tax in at the dealer.  Part was a bit more than the base one, the Limited has a different one. 

Even the intake manifold on my ex's Oldsmobile Alero was less than $1000. 

Offline SXT

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 10:26:33 pm »

Well that's a different story.  You didnt say that before.  Most alternators would not cost that much, I can't speak for FGC, never owned one.  But the alternator on my Dad's 2008 Hyundai Entourage Limited was $834 tax in at the dealer.  Part was a bit more than the base one, the Limited has a different one. 

I would love to buy a 5 year old MB S550/ CLS 550/ CL 550, just afraid of repair costs.
That is why I decided to purchase Japanese this time.  Gas cost doesn't concern me as I live close to work.
Longest I've kept a car is 8.5 years and shortest was the Impala only 5.5 years old.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
^ Replacing tires, batteries, rotors and pads, all fluid changes, is normal maintenance on any vehicle, after 4 years (60k-120k).  Even when taking "care". 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 09:43:41 am »

I would love to buy a 5 year old MB S550/ CLS 550/ CL 550, just afraid of repair costs.
That is why I decided to purchase Japanese this time.  Gas cost doesn't concern me as I live close to work.
Longest I've kept a car is 8.5 years and shortest was the Impala only 5.5 years old.

Gas isn't a concern, and you bought one of the most fuel efficient mid size sedans? I would have a bought a V6 of the previous generation...

Well of course with the luxury german cars, maintenance is quite higher than the average vehicle.  A 5 year old MB E series would be pretty good, as long as it was a CPO, and not crazy high mileage.

Offline SXT

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 10:20:18 pm »

Gas isn't a concern, and you bought one of the most fuel efficient mid size sedans? I would have a bought a V6 of the previous generation...

Well of course with the luxury german cars, maintenance is quite higher than the average vehicle.  A 5 year old MB E series would be pretty good, as long as it was a CPO, and not crazy high mileage.

I like the styling and handling of the new 6, plus I got a good deal. 
Never have bought used but if I had to it would be a high end German car as new for those is out of my league.

Would have bought an Accord V6 but didn't like the timing belt replacement cost after 7 years and somewhat concerned of transmission issues in Honda vehicles.  Camry is out because it's an old man's car and an ugly design in my opinion.
Not a whole lot to choose from in the sedan market if you have 30-35K to spend, I didn't want to risk buying a Ford/FCA.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:07 am »
Not that I disapprove of your choice on the 6.  Little biased here.  Which trim do you have?  I have the GX manual in grey.  But you have nothing to fear with automatic the transmissions from Honda anymore.  Now with their CVT's, they haven't been in the Accord for that long, so nothing proven.  And the timing belt, water pump maintenance isn't that much.  It's about $1000 every 150k. 

Offline SXT

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 02:54:23 pm »
Not that I disapprove of your choice on the 6.  Little biased here.  Which trim do you have?  I have the GX manual in grey.  But you have nothing to fear with automatic the transmissions from Honda anymore.  Now with their CVT's, they haven't been in the Accord for that long, so nothing proven.  And the timing belt, water pump maintenance isn't that much.  It's about $1000 every 150k.

I have the GS automatic with luxury package.
For my little driving I end up replacing items due to time not mileage, I think for timing belts it's 7 years to 150K km's.
Read the new 9 speed transmission are proving to be problematic so consumer reports doesn't recommend the TLX or RLX.
http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/new-member-introductions/10554-9-speed-transmission-concerns.html

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 04:03:36 pm »

Not directed at you specifically
That's the kind of crap I was referring too.  General maintenance (tires, brakes, struts etc) - I don't do those (other than tires of course) over the course of 200+k km...a timing belt and water pump "because Honda" every 150k!! WTF! My brother calls it the "Honda Ownership Program" (and yet he's looking at a Honda now...hmmm) Can't they build their "reliable" shi7 to last!  Holy fack batman. In 30 yrs of driving "shi#" domestics, I've never replaced a timing belt or water pump...ever. Or a transmission (knock on wood).  Yeah, stay away from them shabbily engineered domestics (I won't be driving an FCA anytime soon to find out though...I do have my limits  ;)).  I guess they do have one thing over the domestics, an undeserved reputation and a (much  :'() better retained value than anything I've ever owned.  I think my car was worth something like mid 30's new, about 15 more than a Civic of the same era...guess which is worth more now. (I just checked...OMF...Grrr... :banghead: - oh well, I can still drive longer without expensive "only $1000" repair bills. Probably equals out in the end...I'll tell you in 10 yrs when it's time for the next one.  :P)

Right.  Cars that have timing belts should have them replaced on time.  Just because you don't do general maintenance doesn't mean it shouldn't need it.  Remind me to never buy one of your cars used.  You've just been lucky or you don't own the cars long enough.

You rant is just that and baseless.  Maybe you are on the things your username alludes to which explains a lot.

My family has owned domestics for many years.  I consider regular maintenance as batteries, brakes, tires, shocks, struts so I won't mention those here.  Timing belts are regular maintenance too.

1983 Buick LeSabre (owned 1985-2000, 300k+ kms):
Transmission repaired under warranty, but still had to pay for "diagnostics.". Went through a couple of water pumps and ignition coils.

1992 Pontiac Sunbird (owned 1992-2003, 290k kms).  Had to replace water pump every 70k kms because it would fail.  Replaced the timing belt at the same time because it's the same amount of labour and you're right there anyways.  Wore through front brake hoses every 120k kms.  Pretty dangerous if you ask me to have a brake hose fail while driving.  Starter had to be replaced at 180k kms.

1997 Ford Taurus (owned 1997-2014, 185k kms) - ate a transmission at 80k kms and lots of front end components like tie rod ends @ 120k kms.  Starter was dead at 115k kms.

Now, for one non-domestic example:

2002 Mazda Protégé (owned 2003-2014, 340k kms): stabilizer bar end links every 150k kms.  Front wheel bearings at 300k kms.  Timing belt was changed on schedule (100k kms) along with water pump because you're staring at it anyways.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:05:47 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »
  I agree, stupid rant.  And I have owned domestics and imports. Tell the Big 3 to make a reliable minivan, and I will think about it.