Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 21473 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

It makes more sense to YOU!  It doesn't necessarily mean it makes more sense to everyone else.  I love the rawness of the VQ and will choose the G37 all day long over a 328.  You call the G37 a teenage dream, I call it a crapload of fun!  Different strokes for different folks.  :)

And you saved some cash and got more power....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »

EDIT: On track, it may well edge out the BMW in 17 out of 20 extreme categories but brought back to public roads, BMW just makes more sense as an overall competent package that works very well on both road and track.

Funny you should mention that.  I've seen both reasons for the competition NOT able to win.  If the competition beats the BMW on the track, the magazine will say "but the BMW really shines on the street!".......but if the BMW gets beat on the street, they will say "but thew BMW really shines on the track!".

They'll find a way for the BMW to win.....

In this car "journalism" business, BMW is rather well known for its hospitality. Want that invite to the Riveria? Well, then you'd better not say the obvious, for example:

"The 528i is a huge, bloated device that drives like a tank. The four banger shakes and clacks at idle, which is totally unacceptable for a car that costs upward of $60,000."

Instead, you'll hear:

"The 528i maintains the spirit of the Black Forest, where the little elves have been creating the Ultimate Driving Machine for almost sixty years. While the four cylinder engine may be slightly, just a little, eeetnsy-weentsy bit unsmooth for one millisecond a day,  it in no way takes away from the Ultimate Driving Experience."

And when the next product intro (in South Africa, for example) comes along, you'll get an invite!
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:41 pm »
^^Porsche is particularly bad for that too...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »
^^Porsche is particularly bad for that too...

All the big dollar brands do it; Cadillac is famous for intros in a five star resort in Arizona, complete with entertainment, free food and all the beer you can drink.

And if you are on the A list (ie, Road and Track, Motor Trend), perish be that you pan the car you are there to drive!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »
Pretty much EVERY manufacturer does this.

But not all of them fly you down to the Riviera.  Las Vegas?  Maybe somewhere in Utah?  Sure....but the Euros pay HUGE $$$$ for their intros which are often held in swanky digs.  And print something negative..and you can forget the call back next time..or worse, be blacklisted from testing certain cars.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
You guys are funny

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »
You guys are funny

Seems like the Canadian journos often get the shaft to the swanky intros....It must be because Canada isn't a Top 10 market?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »
You guys are funny

Seems like the Canadian journos often get the shaft to the swanky intros....It must be because Canada isn't a Top 10 market?

Peter Bleakney just got back from the a trip through the Alps and Lake Geneva.  Quite a few Canadians were there.  He is invited to another one in Munich soon.

Most European manufacturers fly you to Europe because that is where their cars and people are, Europe.  Even if it will be produced somewhere else, all the first production models are sent to head office to be scrutinized before handed over for a first drive (or highly modified and made amazingly perfect if you listen to someone sky-is-falling members here).

The reason they fly you to Europe is it is cheaper then bringing the cars and teams here

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »

The reason they fly you to Europe is it is cheaper then bringing the cars and teams here

The cars are eventually going to be here anyways....And when the Canadian fleet arrives we get a whole new set of "first drives"..... ::)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 06:45:04 pm »
BTW - you all read my Corolla test drive (I hope ;D), you saw we placed it last in the Comparison...I am in Montreal right now having just finished driving the FR-S on the track all day courtesy Toyota Canada.  I still have 2 Toyota's booked in the next month.  I did write very positive reviews for them too in the past (iQ, Prius V, etc) and some not so positive ones.

You don't get 'blacklisted' unless you write absolute unfounded crap about a car, but then you wouldn't be writing cars for anyone for too long anyway.  That is why I love this forum, it is a reality check for us writing.

P.S. All OEMs read this forum...thoroughly.  You wouldn't believe some of the emails we get regarding comments on here.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »

The cars are eventually going to be here anyways....And when the Canadian fleet arrives we get a whole new set of "first drives"..... ::)

Euro brands seem to do that less then others.  Not sure why

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »
BTW - you all read my Corolla test drive (I hope ;D), you saw we placed it last in the Comparison...I am in Montreal right now having just finished driving the FR-S on the track all day courtesy Toyota Canada.  I still have 2 Toyota's booked in the next month.  I did write very positive reviews for them too in the past (iQ, Prius V, etc) and some not so positive ones.

You don't get 'blacklisted' unless you write absolute unfounded crap about a car, but then you wouldn't be writing cars for anyone for too long anyway.  That is why I love this forum, it is a reality check for us writing.

P.S. All OEMs read this forum...thoroughly.  You wouldn't believe some of the emails we get regarding comments on here.

OEMs...join the forum and identify yourselves (not nice to disguise). It'd be great to hear your comments...and ask questions.

Minus 'Force' (Hyundai) I don't think any are actual members

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »
Hard to believe they don't troll the forums just to see what's being said about new models....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
Exactly, it is important for them to see what people think and you don't get much more honesty than a forum like this

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »
Jeeze. You'd think I'd get at least a nice letter from Buick.   :rofl2:

Jaeger, you get anything from Hyundai yet? ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:58:17 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:06 pm »
Jeeze. You'd thing I'd get at least a nice letter from Buick.   :rofl2:

The difference between you and Jaeger...he at least bought a Hyundai instead of just talking out his a$$ like you..... ;)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:01 pm »

The difference between you and Jaeger...he at least bought a Hyundai instead of just talking out his a$$ like you..... ;)

What was that you used to say about German iron? And wasn't the Supra the best car ever?  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:34 pm »

What was that you used to say about German iron? And wasn't the Supra the best car ever?  :rofl2:

Just being honest....the way the Germans do things is....ummm...."odd".

And yea..My Supra (and Supras in general) rock!!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:45 am »

Some disclosures from Jalopnik:

Full Disclosure: Scion wanted me to drive the FR-S so badly, they flew me out to Vegas, put me up in the Red Rock Hotel, gave me food and booze. Plus, there was a friendly Scion handler/wrangler within 20 feet of me pretty much any time I was in a public space.

Full Disclosure: Hyundai wanted us to drive the 2012 Veloster so badly that they flew us to Portland, put us up, bought us dinner, got us into three nights' worth of shows at the Doug Fir, fed us too many donuts, took us to a Ducks/Wolf Pack football game, had food trucks come to our hotel and treated us to a buffet at a brewery. Oh! And lunch in Hood River at some place that had really excellent lemonade, but few vegetarian options save for bread and salad.

Full Disclosure: Cadillac wanted us to drive its pointy-wedge so badly they put us up in a nice hotel in Napa Valley with individual saunas and an outdoor shower. It sorta felt like camp. A very expensive camp. A camp I want to go on for my next vacation. If I could afford it.

Pretty much every first drive has a disclosure like this. It's good business.

That is a pretty good wrap-up, although for the trip I just got back from I would have to add "...and had a shower in my room that turned on at 2:30am by itself and then turned off as soon as I turned on the lights to bathroom"  :fall:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

BMW, please send me a letter with a killer offer to trade my current 328i for a 528i. I did my best to defend it against the Lexus trolls that tried to dethrone the ultimate driving machine with their dinky performance wannabe GS350  ;D

My 1-year review of the 328i is coming up in a couple of weeks. Please PM me about what you want me to write about.