Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Infiniti FX35 Limited Edition  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Infiniti FX35 Limited Edition
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:04:28 am »

The Infiniti FX35 appeals to Social Editor Mike Schlee, but not to consumers.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Infiniti FX35 Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:23:11 am »
I have to agree with the conclusions of this article. The FX is a very desirable from a performance/driving point of view but there are just too many compromises in utility for it to be a major player in the midsize luxury crossover market. I briefly considered the FX when I was shopping back in '07 but the tight backseat and lack of cargo room quickly eliminated it from the shortlist. I suspect the lack of a truly national dealer network with good geographic coverage is also limiting sales in smaller centres.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
LOVE this vehicle.  I've driven an FX a number of times and for an SUV it's damn fun to drive!!  I just love the presence of this vehicle as well, very mean looking.  Personally, I think it's been the best looking SUV on the road for a number of years now.  While it lacks a little in utility, I'd take it in a heartbeat over an X5 or an M class. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:30 am »
Too Blingy for me !!  Looks a little like a Caddy SRX on steroids. I much prefer the VW Touareg TDI's styling and powertrain. But as the old saying goes...... I wouldn't throw the FX out of bed for eating crackers. ;)

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:26:35 am »
"Let’s get one thing straight. No one needs the Infiniti FX. No, this is a vehicle that is all about want. "

A good intro, An imposing vehicle that I'm sure will sell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5055733536/

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:13 am »
Too compromised to be taken seriously. All the worst points of an SUV (weight, handling, fuel consumption, performance) and a small luxury sedan (high price, small interior, lack of cargo room, low tow raing).

Still not as compromised as the EX though I suppose.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:34 am »
There isn't any valid/rational reason to like this thing -- only seats 5 & can hold a couple of suitcases... etc..etc..
But,, it has such a swagger to it that I can't help but love it.

Gotta think though, that the love affair would be pretty short lived - must be a pain to park, crappy sightlines, fuel consumption... not to mention the thought of the wallet raping to replace those 21" shoes (love those rims though).

The way to fly with one of these would be to find that 1-2 yr old unit that the original owner grew weary of.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:44:51 am »
There isn't any valid/rational reason to like this thing -- only seats 5 & can hold a couple of suitcases... etc..etc..

Gotta think though, that the love affair would be pretty short lived - must be a pain to park, crappy sightlines, fuel consumption... not to mention the thought of the wallet raping to replace those 21" shoes (love those rims though).

The way to fly with one of these would be to find that 1-2 yr old unit that the original owner grew weary of.
The 864 cameras do help with parking :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:51:14 am »
Too compromised to be taken seriously. All the worst points of an SUV (weight, handling, fuel consumption, performance) and a small luxury sedan (high price, small interior, lack of cargo room, low tow raing).

The obvious criticism. On the other hand, the most interesting cars frequently have the most compromises in one way or another. Like the BRZ reviewed today – small back seat, burns premium, poor in winter...but damn.

But the BRZ has the expected compromises of a sports coupe, and those compromises help it's main function.

The FX screws up the main functions of an SUV, while not being able to deliver the qualities you could get from a premium sedan.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:35 am »

The obvious criticism. On the other hand, the most interesting cars frequently have the most compromises in one way or another. Like the BRZ reviewed today – small back seat, burns premium, poor in winter...but damn.

But the BRZ has the expected compromises of a sports coupe, and those compromises help it's main function.

The FX screws up the main functions of an SUV, while not being able to deliver the qualities you could get from a premium sedan.

But looks cool, and has massive please-mount-machine-guns-on-me front fender flares

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:27:14 am »
I remember te first time I saw one of these vehicles on the street, I think it was around 2002 or so. I thought to myself that if there was ever a updated sequal to Mad Max that he should drive one of these comlete with supercharger in black with those 20" (or were they 21" wheels?) and as someone already suggest - machine guns mounted on the front fenders.
The article is bang on - no one needs this vehicle, it does not hold anything save for a couple for bags but man, in 5.0L trim it sounds like no other SUV/CUV/whatever out there when it pulls away smartly.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:17 am »
The article is bang on - no one needs this vehicle, it does not hold anything save for a couple for bags but man, in 5.0L trim it sounds like no other SUV/CUV/whatever out there when it pulls away smartly.
Railton

Agreed.  And even the 3.5 sounds pretty damn good as well.......almost identical to the exhaust note of the G Coupe.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
Ive always found this SUV/CUV?? thing very interesting so I drove one last fall. The engine sounded great, handled well and the interior was great. I did not like the big, blingy rims and low profile tires, the lack of ground clearance, the fact you couldnt select two wheel drive/four wheel drive, total lack of towing capacity,the blindspots, small rear seat and cargo area. In short, I like the vehicle allright, but I dont see any point to it or would I ever own one.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:11 am »
LOVE this vehicle.  I've driven an FX a number of times and for an SUV it's damn fun to drive!!  I just love the presence of this vehicle as well, very mean looking.  Personally, I think it's been the best looking SUV on the road for a number of years now.  While it lacks a little in utility, I'd take it in a heartbeat over an X5 or an M class.

All good points except.....

Whatever this thing is, the one thing it isn't is a SUV

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
To me is a totally pointless vehicle.   Ugly at the front. The rear view looks as if they have taken a passenger cab from a smaller vehicle and perched it on top.  Right up there with the BMW 5GT and the X6  I guess the ugly stick had some life left in it.  From what Fobroader and Sir O say, it isn't even useful.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:31 am »

That's what my buddy did - picked up a 2010 unit from QB last year with 10,000 km on it.  The original owner must have taken a serious haircut on that transaction...

Definitely looks cool, but as everyone else here as commented - FAR too compromised for my liking.  Backseat, front seat, hatch - all far too small for the exterior size and weight of the vehicle.  I can imagine left-brained Inifiniti engineers gritting their teeth while the stylists ran amok designing the FX, compromising its utility.  Nice interior quality though.

But hey, style sells - right?  Or in this case, maybe not.  It still has to sell better than the EX though.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 12:51:19 pm »
Mrs. W. has a 2007 Infiniti FX35, purchased new. She sees it as an all-weather sports car, and loves it to pieces. Not a bit of trouble, just fluid changes and new rear brake pads last Fall.

The sole issue is dealer service, the inevitable telephone call 20-minutes after dropping the car off announcing an unanticipated requirement. Stung for a superfluous $300 "brake inspection" at 10,000 kilometers, she resorted to keeping the factory maintenance schedule handy. The $90 cabin air filter that absolutely required changing at 12 months, not really due until 36 months. Oddly, the dealer rarely had time to do the complimentary car wash.

A call to Infiniti Customer Care followed up by a letter to the company president was not acknowledged. The car is now serviced at an independent repair garage.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

nsmyhte

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »
It's not selling much anymore because its been around for quite a while now and the looks have worn off in many peoples' minds and its significant faults and shortcomings have become apparent.  I'm sure this will happen to the X6 in a few years too.

5-6 years ago or so it was fresh, bold, aggressive but the new cool kid on the block is the X6.  It had its 15 minutes, now its the X6's turn.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
5-6 years ago or so it was fresh, bold, aggressive but the new cool kid on the block is the X6.  It had its 15 minutes, now its the X6's turn.

What about the ZDX?  Does it get its 15 minutes as well? ;)  Maybe these owners will just migrate to the Range Rover Evoque and be done with it...

If all these SUV/coupe/"sports activity tourers" have their own moment of (albeit brief) popularity, we'll be seeing the damn things for a long time. 

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
It's not selling much anymore because its been around for quite a while now and the looks have worn off in many peoples' minds and its significant faults and shortcomings have become apparent.  I'm sure this will happen to the X6 in a few years too.

Agreed, and on that note, when the BMW X6 first came out and was touted as the first SAV (sport activity vehicle), i was like uhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute, because i immediately thought of the Infiniti FX, beat bmw to the punch for some years.

As for the vehicle itself, i love it, the most recent Montreal and Ottawa auto shows both had pretty much the same limited edition model on display as the one being tested here, and i don't know, maybe it's because of the racy styling, but when i was inside it, i really didnt mind the fact that it was cramped for an SUV, the cockpit-feel suits the vehicle's character, and did not in any way feel out-dated (this generation was out in 08' as an 09'? verification?)

Not to band-aid the issue, but a lot of the dynamic issues mentioned would probably be resolved with the FX50S as opposed to the v6 model...catch 22 being that they will find less and less shoppers for the v8