Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1112806 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #6180 on: June 18, 2024, 03:32:07 pm »
Nice, a pump track that looks very similar to that one is being built in my neighborhood. Can't wait for it to be finished so I can try it out with my kids.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6181 on: June 18, 2024, 03:35:54 pm »
^^ Yeah, and we’ve got a couple of dirt jump parks near the house. Can’t afford to hurt myself, but have been having a blast on the mellower jump lines. Really been learning a ton of stuff that’s carried over into my trail riding.

Bought the bike as a bit of a lark, but it’s turned out to be a fantastic purchase. Really getting good use out of it.

I had a bike like that 15 years ago, and spent a lot of time tooling around at skate parks. 

Great way to learn 'Body English' and bike handling.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 03:57:13 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #6182 on: June 18, 2024, 04:35:59 pm »
^^ Yeah, and we’ve got a couple of dirt jump parks near the house. Can’t afford to hurt myself, but have been having a blast on the mellower jump lines. Really been learning a ton of stuff that’s carried over into my trail riding.

Bought the bike as a bit of a lark, but it’s turned out to be a fantastic purchase. Really getting good use out of it.

The +1 principle proving itself one more time! Enjoy!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6183 on: June 28, 2024, 11:52:06 am »

So awesome!!

That's his hometown.

There's also a big fan store there!

Our guide told.us that but no time to stop.

[
Rossi billboard is cool.  You cycling in Italy is much cooler.  :winner:

Thanks....the cycling here has been amazing and sometimes challenging so far.

Nice, how's the weather? I'm going there in September, will be based in Riccione. Looking to hear your impressions of that trip!

Got to the cycling hotel on Sunday and weather was nice, 23-25C, some rain but not when we cycled. Now hot, 30C and no clouds. Thank goodness for fountains in the towns. I'm also based in Riccione, once out of town, the country side is beautiful.

TDF stage on Saturday so we are riding up to San Marino to watch the climbing,. Rode by the finish today in Rimini. 

The cycling is amazing and many old towns to stop and see. Having a guide has been so helpful as they know all the roads, history, and great coffee stops.

Will give better details after I get home and can type on a computer vs phone. But now is social hour before dinner. So much food and drink. Will be hard to go home.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6184 on: June 28, 2024, 12:02:00 pm »
Awesome! You are leading the life

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: June 28, 2024, 01:28:32 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

We will be staying at the Dory hotel in Riccione in September. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.hoteldory.it/en/bike/riccione-bike-hotel-sezione.htm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 04:13:15 pm by Guy »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: July 10, 2024, 11:21:20 am »
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

We will be staying at the Dory hotel in Riccione in September. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.hoteldory.it/en/bike/riccione-bike-hotel-sezione.htm

That looks quite posh :thumbup:

This is where I stayed which was great. Everybody was very nice and accommodating. Food was also great which I ate my weight worth.

Hotel Fedora
https://www.hotelfedora.it/bikehotel/en/

Still need to do a write up about my trip. Been home for a week, trying to acclimatize back to reality and getting caught up.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: July 10, 2024, 12:50:47 pm »
Looking forward to your write up!  :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: July 15, 2024, 07:50:03 pm »
OK, threw together some quick thoughts for the cycling week. Maybe I can put together more thoughts for the rest of the time I was in Italy. Already feels like a long time ago.

Seven day sof cycling in Italy
Approx 530 km and 4,600m of climbing
Rides were between 70-100 km and 500-1000m of climbing

I spent just over 2 weeks in Italy with one of the weeks dedicated to cycling. Home base was in Riccione Italy which is on the Adriatic Sea. Normally June (especially late June) isn't their cycling season but since there were going to be 2 stages of the Tour de France coming there, my friends organized a group trip. Generally, most people go in May or September. 

All our rides were out of the hotel, so we rode to a different location every day, stopped for a cafe break, and rode back. Hotel came with 3 meals a day and there was more food than I could eat. I actually had to cut back a few days as I was eating too much. The hotel staff were amazing and the hotel was very clean.

Riccione feels like the Daytona Beach of Italy, nothing but hotels for miles and miles along the beach. Thankfully, things quickly change for the better once you ride out of town.

Since it wasn't cycling season, we had our own personal guide for our group of 13. We didn't always have 13 as some people got sick, did a day trip, were tired, etc, but we worked together at keeping the group together despite our differences in abilities. Mostly we would wait at the top of a climb for the last person, give them 2 minutes to catch their breath, then carry on. 

For the last 2 or 3 days, we had a second guide join us to do the sweep. He was ONLY 89 years old and just bought an e-bike. He took no :censor: from the crappy drivers. 

I rode all 7 days and every ride was amazing. Plenty of climbing and descending with some easy flat sections in/out of town, and plenty of non stop views. Our guide was amazing, funny, very knowledgeable, and did a great job at keeping the group together. It also helped that everybody in the group got along and also helped keep the group together.  

Highlights
- This one is for my entire trip....The price is the price. Taxes are included, no tipping required, so when you see 5 Euros, you give 5 Euros. Done.
- The ride up to Urbino which is an amazing city. Definitely a place to see. Plus all the little towns we stopped for our cafe breaks.
- Getting to see two stages of the TDF with one being on a climb to San Marino. The riders were so close they were literally mm away from us as they flew by at easily double the speeds we were climbing at.
- The coffee and pastries, oh so good. Never had one bad coffee or pastry the entire time in Italy and I had a lot of them. Plus, they are so cheap. I forgot my money one day so I put my order together with a friend and the shop owner said 6 Euros and my friend said, no, for both. To which they replied, that is for both. 
- Drivers actually have skills and can drive in a straight line beside cyclists.

Lowlights
- Traffic and people. Because the cycling season is over, that means it was tourist season and they were everywhere. Even though the drivers had good skills, they also made crazy passes and I lost count of the number of times I thought wing mirrors were going to hit. They also have drivers that don't like cyclists and are not afraid to express it.
- The weather was great but the second part of the week was very hot which made climbing extremely hot. I had to dial down my efforts so I didn't over heat. 
- My rental bike had rim brakes and narrow tires. While it didn't impact my riding, I did miss having disc brakes for the long descents. Plus I ride on nice plush 30mm tires at home but my rental was on 25mm which look so skinny now. Again, I had no problems but when you are on broken pavement (which there was plenty of), having larger tires is so much nicer.  

Overall, the cycling was amazing. Can only imagine it once all the tourists leave. Some of my friends have been there before and they said, it is a night and day difference as the roads are much quieter. Everybody in our group was great and a lot of fun. During the normal cycling season, there are multiple guides each day offering different rides and levels. There is already talk about getting people together again for Sept 2025. I know I'm very interested in going back again.

Link to pictures -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/7TDNryVPQRtyERm27
Link to ride maps/elevation profile -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pu8kjhFvgRE1Mcjp6

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: July 15, 2024, 08:58:46 pm »
Great write up! Thanks!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: July 15, 2024, 10:20:00 pm »
Great write up! Thanks!

Thanks!  Can't wait for you to go and hear what you think, although I'm sure you will also enjoy it.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: July 16, 2024, 12:15:44 am »
Sounds like a great trip, Quad!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6192 on: July 16, 2024, 06:59:12 am »

Riccione feels like the Daytona Beach of Italy, nothing but hotels for miles and miles along the beach. Thankfully, things quickly change for the better once you ride out of town.

Great report!  :winner:

I read the first sentence quoted above and thought - wait, does he think a Daytona Beach vibe is a good thing?  ???  Grateful for the clarification in the second sentence.   :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6193 on: July 16, 2024, 11:36:54 am »
Yeah, that sounds like a great trip! Would love to something like that some day.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: July 16, 2024, 04:46:15 pm »
What a great trip from the sounds of it. I'd love to do something similar. Less distance between spots of interest than here for sure.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6195 on: August 20, 2024, 05:47:05 pm »
I couldn’t help myself (again.) Too many good deals out there, so went and bought myself a new bike.

I still love my Hightower, so went and bought… another Hightower! Same bike, but with a lighter frame and nicer components.

Unfortunately, the only colour left was red, meaning that my wife and I will now be riding matching bikes (She bought the same red Hightower in May.) :-[

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: August 20, 2024, 06:32:46 pm »

I

Unfortunately, the only colour left was red, meaning that my wife and I will now be riding matching bikes (She bought the same red Hightower in May.) :-[

How cute! LOL [emoji38]

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: August 20, 2024, 09:34:36 pm »
I couldn’t help myself (again.) Too many good deals out there, so went and bought myself a new bike.

I still love my Hightower, so went and bought… another Hightower! Same bike, but with a lighter frame and nicer components.

N+1 strikes again! Congrats!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6198 on: August 21, 2024, 07:33:13 am »

I

How cute! LOL [emoji38]

Awh, you're that couple now, lol. 

Congrats on the new bike.  Always good praise on a bike for someone to get multiples.  I've got a buddy who's really into Trek Fuel EX's - has built up like three of them, all in different configurations.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: September 19, 2024, 11:16:43 am »
Leaving for Riccione Italy today. Will report when we are back October 1st.