Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1  (Read 19257 times)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »
James - any luck pairing your phone with the iQ? As i recall, we hit a dead-end and gave up after a while when Mike had one last fall... and there was no manual in our car so we had no clue... that seems like a pivotal feature and usability issue for a car like this that would appeal to the connected generation.
::), do not you have a smart phone or accuses to the Internet, you could PDF a manual or ask on a forum?

We searched all over the place.  The car was too new for any information online.

Did you try phoning the person that you got the car from?
You young guy are starting sound like some of my kids ( who are probably older then you ) they want ever thing spoon feed to them  :rofl:

I was only in the car for one or two trips, so it wasn't necessary, but I rarely encounter a car that cannot be connected by looking at the buttons or giving the voice command a few choice commands (polite to start with). Call us lazy, but it still demonstrates that the system is not intuitive, which some might find  relevant if they don't like searching through the manual for basic functions.

For example, in the Mazda5, I pressed the voice command button, said "pair phone", received a prompt to speak a number code, then entered the number - the entire process took about 8 seconds, so having to hold the button down for 8 seconds doesn't seem 'user-friendly' if you ask me.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:15 pm »
It is a very basic system no voice prompts.  Just hold the button.  It is like an aftermarket system

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
I don't do aftermarket, so no wonder I was confused... :think:

In a car like this, though, can't fault them if it means keeping the price down but adding tech.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 06:47:43 am »
James - any luck pairing your phone with the iQ? As i recall, we hit a dead-end and gave up after a while when Mike had one last fall... and there was no manual in our car so we had no clue... that seems like a pivotal feature and usability issue for a car like this that would appeal to the connected generation.
::), do not you have a smart phone or accuses to the Internet, you could PDF a manual or ask on a forum?

We searched all over the place.  The car was too new for any information online.

Did you try phoning the person that you got the car from?
You young guy are starting sound like some of my kids ( who are probably older then you ) they want ever thing spoon feed to them  :rofl:

I was only in the car for one or two trips, so it wasn't necessary, but I rarely encounter a car that cannot be connected by looking at the buttons or giving the voice command a few choice commands (polite to start with). Call us lazy, but it still demonstrates that the system is not intuitive, which some might find  relevant if they don't like searching through the manual for basic functions.

For example, in the Mazda5, I pressed the voice command button, said "pair phone", received a prompt to speak a number code, then entered the number - the entire process took about 8 seconds, so having to hold the button down for 8 seconds doesn't seem 'user-friendly' if you ask me.
The last 2 new vehicular we bought the dealer set up the BT

Maybe the manufactures should give you a tour of the car before letting u drive it , because it sounds like they are not doing their due diligence , law suit time http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/legisl/diligence.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 02:51:15 am »
So there was no owners manual in the car with this info??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
Mine had the manual, but sometimes we do not get manuals which can be annoying.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »
Mine had the manual, but sometimes we do not get manuals which can be annoying.

When I read this, I thought the iQ you tested had a manual transmission, LOL.  It looks like it would be fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfhvCagUE-o
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline saurus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 VW Touareg
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:25 am »
I look at these two seater cars and wonder who buys these cars over a slightly larger 4 seater.

I saw the Volkswagen UP/Seat Mii I think on driving television and versus the IQ it:

has more space, seats 4 with trunk - well it is slightly larger class of car
has a weaker 3 cylinder engine
has better fuel economy
has euro looks vs space age looks of IQ
has manual gearbox option
has affordable options including new tech like radar cruise/collision braking, bluetooth, nav
starts at $12,000 (in UK) including taxes

I guess we will never see it at 12k on these shores :(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2012, 01:19:43 am »
Saw one of these around town.....if possible, its actually uglier and more akward looking in real life....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline saurus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 VW Touareg
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:02 am »
And on the issue of vehicle weight being safer....

Many years ago now but the math on this is something like (Force of Car 1 prior to impact) + (Force of Car 2 prior to impact) = Total Impact Force

From this Total Impact Force is deducted an amount due to the absorption of energy by car frame/safety features.  In a car on car impact scenario, the structural safety features e.g. crumple zones, high strength bars etc found on a single car help reduce the total impact force thereby helping passengers in BOTH cars.
The remainder of the force is then split between the two cars in a proportion depending on their weight. 

( Note that if everyone were to drive slower and also drive lighter cars then real world collisions would involve less Total Impact Force :) )

In the real world this remaining force normally translates to a fast deceleration of the cars, even a possible change of traveling direction.   It is this fast deceleration that causes the damage to the head, brain, neck.  A heavier car takes less of the force and deceleration would be less.   (i think: A car weighing 2 tonnes in a collision with car weighing 1 tonne.  Twice as much of the remaining force will be applied to the 1 tonne car would take versus the 2 tonne car)

Therefore IMO a heavier than average car is generally safer on the road in collisions vs average weight cars.

ALSO I THINK:
Lighter cars are safer in collisions vs solid immovable objects such as walls, rocks (less mass involved).
Other factors including airbags, interior space (distance from impact to passenger, larger being safer), relative height of impact zones (head height being worse) can make a difference.    A light, cramped car is not as safe in a car-on-car impact as a heavy spacious car.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:59 am »
The IQ fuel numbers were good but not great for it's dimensions.

I think the car has less than wonderful aerodynamics as it is actually pretty wide and high so it pushes almost as much air as a compact.

Still a great choice for many applications and I'd love to run it around town and take advantage of its turning circle and "fitability".

Cheers,
John M.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »
I look at these two seater cars and wonder who buys these cars over a slightly larger 4 seater.

I saw the Volkswagen UP/Seat Mii I think on driving television and versus the IQ it:

has more space, seats 4 with trunk - well it is slightly larger class of car
has a weaker 3 cylinder engine
has better fuel economy
has euro looks vs space age looks of IQ
has manual gearbox option
has affordable options including new tech like radar cruise/collision braking, bluetooth, nav
starts at $12,000 (in UK) including taxes

I guess we will never see it at 12k on these shores :(
that is likely 12000 pounds...that is about $20,000 here...compare that to the Fit, Rio5 and a few others and that is why the up! isn't here...it is a neat car as well, and while more practical than the iQ, it still has too many compromises for it to be a profitable success here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.