Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1  (Read 19258 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:44 am »
The Smart has been in North America for a while now. Are there stats to suggest that it's particularly dangerous?

I don't know about stats, but there are certainly lab tests with interesting results.

Did you read the link I posted? The part where they crashed a Smart into a C-class? The result really wasn't very surprising, IMO.

The major issue with the IIHS traffic statistics, is that they didn't compensate for the age of the drivers. Small cars are cheaper and bought by much younger people than full sized sedans. Young people have roughly 3 times the fatality rate as middle age folks. Coincidently, the difference in fatality rate between small cars and full sized sedans is 35/1M versus 11/1M, pretty much three times.

If smaller cars were truly that much less safe, the fatality rates in the US should be much lower than Europe, which isn't the case. The US death rate is higher than in Canada, which has similar training levels, smaller cars on average, while still having a large number of large SUVs and commercial vehicles.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 12:48:12 am »
The major issue with the IIHS traffic statistics, is that they didn't compensate for the age of the drivers. Small cars are cheaper and bought by much younger people than full sized sedans. Young people have roughly 3 times the fatality rate as middle age folks. Coincidently, the difference in fatality rate between small cars and full sized sedans is 35/1M versus 11/1M, pretty much three times.

You forgot to mention all the accident-prone old geezers in your analysis. Last time I checked, they prefer to drive those same full size sedans.  :)

If smaller cars were truly that much less safe, the fatality rates in the US should be much lower than Europe, which isn't the case. The US death rate is higher than in Canada, which has similar training levels, smaller cars on average, while still having a large number of large SUVs and commercial vehicles.

But in Europe, there will presumably be more cases of small cars smashing into other small cars. In the U.S., you've generally got big cars smashing into big cars. In both cases, it's a fair fight.

As for the difference between the U.S. and Canada, the first thing that comes to mind is their 75mph Interstate system. I suspect that our average highway speeds are much lower up here (and I'm talking the whole country, not just one stretch of 8-lane in the GTA). That alone could be a huge factor.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:33 am »

You forgot to mention all the accident-prone old geezers in your analysis. Last time I checked, they prefer to drive those same full size sedans.  :)

But in Europe, there will presumably be more cases of small cars smashing into other small cars. In the U.S., you've generally got big cars smashing into big cars. In both cases, it's a fair fight.

As for the difference between the U.S. and Canada, the first thing that comes to mind is their 75mph Interstate system. I suspect that our average highway speeds are much lower up here (and I'm talking the whole country, not just one stretch of 8-lane in the GTA). That alone could be a huge factor.

Entirely possible, but it really boils down to the fact that fatality rates are much more complicated than the IIHS is putting forward.

Edit. The median age of a full size sedan buyer is 61, a bit higher than the new car market in general, 56. Baby boomers are still dominating the market it seems.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/can-jazzed-up-full-size-cars-attract-younger-buyers/1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:11:53 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:49 am »
Sir Osis of Liver (SOL?), A quick timeout to compliment you on your rapid research, analysis and posting of stats pertaining to topics at hand on this forum. You're like some kind of scary analyst Yoda...with a bad liver.

Thanks, I have no idea why I do what I do. At work I have to sift through lots of crap to get to the important stuff. I guess it's hard to put it in park when I get home.

I'm pretty sure a fair number of people on here find it very aggravating. And yet I persist.  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 01:10:17 am »
The Smart has been in North America for a while now. Are there stats to suggest that it's particularly dangerous?

No, that's exactly the point I was making. The first death in a smart took 8 years to happen in Canada.

Real life trumps theory, which as has been shown is much more complicated than the IIHS makes out. Small does not necessarily mean more dangerous.

Going by the IIHS own statistics, a driver in a 2008 Yaris has the same chance of dying as if he was in a 2008 F150, and half the death rate of the driver of a Nissan Titan.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 02:25:38 am »
Nothing can make a mid size sedan as cool as something like a Mazda 3 to drive, and even if they could, young people wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Ok maybe the previous gen Mazda 6 and something like a G sedan would be tops on many 20s' lists. Accord and Altima Coupe are pretty attractive to 20s as well. But price is still an issue.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:55 am »
So far the discussion has been more about small cars vs large cars not the IQ itself.

Once we get over the idea of small cars being common, we'll be able to look at the merits of each individual vehicle.

I've been in both the Smart and IQ and I'd take the IQ for sure if only for it's lower operating cost and better reliability (assumptions on my part).

The Smart is a really nice place to be and I enjoyed driving it but the drive train on the IQ is absolutely superior.  A Smart with a 6 speed box and 3cyl diesel would be pretty compelling!  It is only a matter of time before they come up with one of these and when they do I'll be looking at it!

On the issue of big car/small car, some relatives in the US drive things like Expeditions.

One of their teens had an accident and the family was really upset as the driver was slightly injured.  May have been their fault.  The people they hit were severely injured.  How do you live with yourself driving one of these things??   Braking distance and momentum alone are enough to have then banned.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:16 am »

I don't know about stats, but there are certainly lab tests with interesting results.

Did you read the link I posted? The part where they crashed a Smart into a C-class? The result really wasn't very surprising, IMO.

Not pretty at all.  Wow..Think the driver of the little S-box is daid?  Really, really daid?   I'd say so...And the opposition was only a C-class.  A fairly small car...Zounds....Thanks  Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0&feature=related

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:06 am »
Its true, force = mass x velocity. It is the force that gets you every time.  These things are death traps just based on 90% of the rest of the cars on the road are much larger.

Yes, but the release of energy/force does not end with the point of impact. Safety cannot be evaluated on the basis of weight alone. Other factors such as vehicle-to-vehicle design, and structural load/force absorption/redistribution also play significant roles.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:47 am »
Nice city car. Not crazy about the dopey name, though ("I drive an IQ?")

I'm thinking it's a play on the "Smart" car and also fits neatly with Scion's 2 letter branding.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:34 am »
After reading all this before heading to work this morning it was a very nervous drive .... not

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 10:11:28 am »
After reading all this before heading to work this morning it was a very nervous drive .... not
i wouldn't worry about the "safety" issue...there is far more at play than weight...race cars are light (compared to "consumer cars"), yet are among the safest vehicles out there...it is more about the engineering behind the vehicle than simply the weight of it...if often read "Yea, but good luck if you get hit with a Semi driving down the highway"...my reply was always along the lines that if you get smoked by a Semi, you better be in a tank, because you aren't winning that battle in a pick-up or SUV anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcNtGmGZ_A

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 10:56:38 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0&feature=related

No it's not pretty, but the Smart's front crumple zone did its thing while the passenger compartment was barely touched. You're forgetting one important factor... if a C Class crossed the centre line and came barrelling at me, my Smart/iQ is small enough to squeeze somewhere to avoid the accident. Accident survival is great and all, accident prevention is much more important.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:46 am »
James - any luck pairing your phone with the iQ? As i recall, we hit a dead-end and gave up after a while when Mike had one last fall... and there was no manual in our car so we had no clue... that seems like a pivotal feature and usability issue for a car like this that would appeal to the connected generation.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 01:55:49 pm »
James - any luck pairing your phone with the iQ? As i recall, we hit a dead-end and gave up after a while when Mike had one last fall... and there was no manual in our car so we had no clue... that seems like a pivotal feature and usability issue for a car like this that would appeal to the connected generation.
::), do not you have a smart phone or accuses to the Internet, you could PDF a manual or ask on a forum?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »
The iQ is interesting to me until I see it is automatic only. For me a small car has to have a manual gearbox. Bigger ones I'm ok with an automatic.

As far as safety goes I'd bet with something like this iQ it is easier to avoid an accident in the first place than in some lumbering SUV or similar.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:41 am »
Interesting comment on the seat cushion being too long. 

99% of comments of Japanese seats say the cushions are too short.

Damned if you do .........

When is the Hybrid version coming out?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2012, 08:28:55 am »
Bluetooth. Hold button for 8 secs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 08:35:56 am »
::), do not you have a smart phone or accuses to the Internet, you could PDF a manual or ask on a forum?

We searched all over the place.  The car was too new for any information online.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

We searched all over the place.  The car was too new for any information online.

Did you try phoning the person that you got the car from?
You young guy are starting sound like some of my kids ( who are probably older then you ) they want ever thing spoon feed to them  :rofl: