Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1  (Read 19274 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:02:28 am »

The Scion iQ is the smallest four-seater on the market. But how useful is the tiny back seat?
Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Scion iQ; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:56 am »
For a childless couple living in the large urban area, this would be great run about

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:32:59 am »
This is an appealing car, more so than the Smart with its not so friendly transmission. Compared to my daily driver it has 2 more seats, more luggage space, and a much better turning circle. It also has a seamless transmission and AC and goes further on a liter of fuel. Sold as a Toyota in most world markets and a Aston Martin Cygnet when dressed up.

I found it a very appealing car to drive and would be quite willing to drive it anywhere at anytime

Photo is of the more common Toyota version found overseas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6759985687/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:38 am »
It's actually the car I'll be recommending to friends with teenagers for their first car.  It's perfect because it's not really fast enough to really want to do drag race with anything.  It's small so should be easy to ace the parking part of license exam.  It's extremely fuel efficient, should be very reliable, and cheap to insure.  It has blue tooth which is a must for the youth today.  I'm sure you'll be able to pick one of these up used in 2-3 years at just over $10,000.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:10 am »
From the MX-5 to this.  I'm sorry....
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:33 am »
Lack of manual transmission ruined it for me  :'(

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:22:24 am »
Couldn't they at least find the Aston Martin version for you to try? ;D

I suppose if all you did was drive down town, needed to park and not much more it is a great city car. Don't think i would want to go across Canada in one

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
Couldn't they at least find the Aston Martin version for you to try? ;D

I suppose if all you did was drive down town, needed to park and not much more it is a great city car. Don't think i would want to go across Canada in one
I don't think I'd want to go  downtown in one, either...Life's too short to spend in a cheapo, ugly little car.  Nice hubcaps!....  And how bout a frontal collision with a Chevy Suburban?  No thanks...I can think of multo better ways to spend 17 grand. Like buying a real car..Thanks for a nice review.. Jack

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:06 am »
$17K....ummm, a Miata, a 500 Abarth, Jeep wrangler.....I could think of a list so long of vehicles Id rather own if I had to drive into a busy downtown centre rather than this horrid.....thing. If you have no soul, taste, driving spirit or knowledge of cars, that still shouldnt be an excuse for pulling up with one these. I thought the Smart Car was an atrocious abomination, this has taken the cake, sash, crown and sceptre of that title by a country mile.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
Don't recommend this for a teenager.  Teenagers have a much higher accident rate than mature drivers, your chance of death in this lightweight go-cart are many times higher than a mid-size sedan, simple physics.  You can get a 2007 Camry for under $10k for a teenager, much better choice.

It's actually the car I'll be recommending to friends with teenagers for their first car.  It's perfect because it's not really fast enough to really want to do drag race with anything.  It's small so should be easy to ace the parking part of license exam.  It's extremely fuel efficient, should be very reliable, and cheap to insure.  It has blue tooth which is a must for the youth today.  I'm sure you'll be able to pick one of these up used in 2-3 years at just over $10,000.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:26 pm »
From the MX-5 to this.  I'm sorry....
as discussed in the other thread, i'm sure this is a decent little car, but for $17k, get a nicely equipped Kia Rio5 (or Fiesta, Sonic, Fit, Yaris, etc)...more practical and when it comes time to sell, you aren't limiting your potential market of used car buyers, as this is a niche car that would likely appeal to very few people.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »
Don't recommend this for a teenager.  Teenagers have a much higher accident rate than mature drivers, your chance of death in this lightweight go-cart are many times higher than a mid-size sedan, simple physics.  You can get a 2007 Camry for under $10k for a teenager, much better choice.

Mid size cars for teenagers have a higher rate of fender benders because teens pay less attention to their surroundings.  Just because something is small doesn't mean it's unsafe.  You seriously need to understand that bigger doesn't always mean better.  If you gave your kid a midsize vehicle they are more likely to go faster (more power), carry more people (distracting the driver), and give them more sense of security with a larger vehicle.  There's many reasons to buy a car like the IQ for a kid and only one for the midsize (safety).  I don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to give them something like the IQ for their first car to learn the basics and build confidence.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:46 pm »
I don't have the time or energy to get into it, but simply google "vehicle weight safety" and spend some time reading.

With everything being equal, mid-size cars have about half the fatality rate of smaller cars.  It comes down to physics - the occupant of the lighter car will suffer a tremendous g-force on the brain when he or she immediately gets stopped or pushed backward by a heavier vehicle, vs. the heavier vehicle rapidly decelerating.

The Camry is a mid-size car with a 4 banger - no danger of too much power there.  Kids will cram 4 people into this Scion as well, wonder which will be more distracting - 4 people seated comfortably, or 4 people crammed into the IQ?

Don't spread the mis-information that micro cars are as safe as mid-size cars, it is simply wrong.

Maybe once you have kids you'll pay more attention to such things.

Mid size cars for teenagers have a higher rate of fender benders because teens pay less attention to their surroundings.  Just because something is small doesn't mean it's unsafe.  You seriously need to understand that bigger doesn't always mean better.  If you gave your kid a midsize vehicle they are more likely to go faster (more power), carry more people (distracting the driver), and give them more sense of security with a larger vehicle.  There's many reasons to buy a car like the IQ for a kid and only one for the midsize (safety).  I don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to give them something like the IQ for their first car to learn the basics and build confidence.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
What do you call the people sitting in t he backseat of a IQ?
Organ donors.

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:02 pm »

Its true, force = mass x velocity. It is the force that gets you every time.  These things are death traps just based on 90% of the rest of the cars on the road are much larger.  Speed driven by the driver has little to do with it, both cars would be driven at about the same speed most of the time given the same scenarios.  I highly doubt the driver of the iQ would drive slower than the Camry driver. Remember some of the safety ratings and crash test results are based on crashing into the exact same car, which is unlikely and misleading.  I imagine this car would turn into a flying beach ball if hit by a large SUV. Either that or the bumper would ride up the hood. Sorry not for my kids.

Car seems fine just for the european inner city market, tighter streets, smaller parking spaces, size reflective prices.  Not for NA, there is much better for the same or a little more.
Cheers

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:30 pm »
Thanks for the grins....flying beach ball....hilarious.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:13 pm »
I'm absolutely agree about the physics of the impact between two vehicles. But don't forget one practical issue - the nature of the impact. In Europe trucks, cars, SUVs and all other fourwheelers are homogenized in terms the design of the level of their bumpers. It reduces the smashing force and at the same time increases the absorbtion. Of course, the unequal mass of the vehicles can't be compensated.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »
I bought myself a tin can 85 Honda Civic in grade 12, I turned out ok. Being in a bigger car doesn't guarantee your survival in an accident, many people have died in a large vehicle. I don't think it even reduces it by a significant amount. If kids feel invincible in a mid size sedan, they may feel like they can go faster, negating any safety advantages being something with a higher mass could bring. Plus, often a smaller, lighter vehicle can navigate its way out of an accident better than a larger vehicle.

I'd still want one of these for my mobile business, as soon as it comes with a manual transmission. Scion's said numerous times that the limited Release Series iQs will be available with manual.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »
Oh, here we go again with the "we all should drive 40,000kg armoured tanks" to be safe BS.  F-that.  Life's already too short to spend it lumbering around in some overweight bloat-mobile that scrapes its doorhandles through corners and squeals its tires at 3km/h in corners.  I get the physics of crashes, I just don't care.  the IQ is safer than any car was not that long ago, and if it's not THE SAFEST vehicle possible, well, I couldn't care about that, either. 

I love my daughter, but I want her to enjoy her life, and so...

(guess I'm allowed to comment...)

I'm busy teaching her to ride a motorcycle.  The unsafest road-legal vehicle on the planet.

She spends a good chunk of her summers white-water kayaking, rock climbing, and mountaineering.  Amazing adventures that have given me great joy in my life and I'm thrilled to share.  Dangerous, yes.  Some of my friends are dead thanks to these activities.  But, life is for living, not for cowering in fear of.

Kids in our neighbourhood live in basements playing video games and watching TV.  People live in fear of life.  Everything seems to boil down to being "safe."  We'll buy massive SUVs.  We'll keep our kids inside.  We drive them to school (ironically, of course, more dangerous than them walking) and keep them inside if it rains or snows or is windy.  We buy giant houses so we can do everything inside, away from the dangerous big-bad world.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »
Oh, here we go again with the "we all should drive 40,000kg armoured tanks" to be safe BS.  F-that.  Life's already too short to spend it lumbering around in some overweight bloat-mobile that scrapes its doorhandles through corners and squeals its tires at 3km/h in corners.  I get the physics of crashes, I just don't care.  the IQ is safer than any car was not that long ago, and if it's not THE SAFEST vehicle possible, well, I couldn't care about that, either. 

I love my daughter, but I want her to enjoy her life, and so...

(guess I'm allowed to comment...)

I'm busy teaching her to ride a motorcycle.  The unsafest road-legal vehicle on the planet.

She spends a good chunk of her summers white-water kayaking, rock climbing, and mountaineering.  Amazing adventures that have given me great joy in my life and I'm thrilled to share.  Dangerous, yes.  Some of my friends are dead thanks to these activities.  But, life is for living, not for cowering in fear of.

Kids in our neighbourhood live in basements playing video games and watching TV.  People live in fear of life.  Everything seems to boil down to being "safe."  We'll buy massive SUVs.  We'll keep our kids inside.  We drive them to school (ironically, of course, more dangerous than them walking) and keep them inside if it rains or snows or is windy.  We buy giant houses so we can do everything inside, away from the dangerous big-bad world.

Well put man!! My only argument about the IQ is thats its too ugly, too small, too underpowered, too automatic and too gimmicky for it to ever even park on my driveway