Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Acura ILX  (Read 20855 times)

nsmyhte

Re: First Drive: 2013 Acura ILX
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:16 am »
This is a very poor vehicle from Acura.  The base drivetrain is sub par, the price is too high, and the model/package set up is stupid.  Wht can't you get the tech package with the 2.4? 

This thing is completely redundant.  Either get a normal Civic, a Civic Si, or TSX.  There's no point to this car.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:19 am »
This thing is completely redundant.  Either get a normal Civic, a Civic Si, or TSX.  There's no point to this car.

I disagree - there is a point to this car, as all the vehicles you cite have their own flaws/limitations.  The Civic and Civic Si have poor interior quality (relative to the competition) and a polarizing interior (split dashboard), with an uninspiring exterior.  The TSX is a fair bit larger and heavier than a compact, and is quite a bit more expensive as well.

The problem is, the ILX may not be the ideal vehicle to bridge the gap.  As far as I can tell, the uplevel compacts do everything the ILX can, with equivalent (at minimum) quality, but for less money.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
 "Oh wait, those aren't "luxury" brands like Acura, so the vehicles must not be as good"

I'm not so sure Acura is a true luxury brand like MB,Lexus,BMW etc.  I always thought of them as occupying a middle ground more as a premium or "near" luxury brand. More like Volvo or even VW during their upscale phase.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

nsmyhte

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:56 pm »

I disagree - there is a point to this car, as all the vehicles you cite have their own flaws/limitations.  The Civic and Civic Si have poor interior quality (relative to the competition) and a polarizing interior (split dashboard), with an uninspiring exterior.  The TSX is a fair bit larger and heavier than a compact, and is quite a bit more expensive as well.

The problem is, the ILX may not be the ideal vehicle to bridge the gap.  As far as I can tell, the uplevel compacts do everything the ILX can, with equivalent (at minimum) quality, but for less money.

I just though of another car you could get instead of this: an Accord.  Between the different Civics, Accords and TSX, you can get what the ILX offers in a better valued package.  With the ILX, you're basically paying for an Acura badge but an Acura badge doesn't carry the cachet to warant this price premium.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 12:50:03 pm »
The ILX makes a great case for buying a Verano, its main competitor.  The Buick starts at 23k$, and you have to load it to the gills to reach the Acura's base price.

The only way for Honda to get a winner out of the ILX is to:

- add a manual to the base engine;
- replace the Acura beak with a Honda grille;
- cancel the current Civic "tribute-to-2002-Camry" sedan and replace it with the ILX, what the Civic should have been in the 1st place.

What sold the CSX in Canada was value, and at 30k$, it's not there anymore.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »
I still like it. The Civic never appealed to me, it just feels cheap all around. ILX Dynamic Package looks great. I like automatic climate control so it makes the Civic and Accord non starters.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 03:32:43 pm »
I can't see why anyone would buy one of these over a Sonata or Optima???  Or for that matter an Elantra.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »
Can't get auto climate control in the Korean brands without getting automatic transmission except for in the Forte SX.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 03:48:34 pm »
Can't get auto climate control in the Korean brands without getting automatic transmission except for in the Forte SX.

I gotta say, I've never heard of auto climate control being the number one purchase criterion before.  :o  I really couldn't care less one way or the other.  My car has it. My wife's doesn't.  Neither present any kind of a challenge to get and maintain a comfortable ambient temperature.  I get manual versus auto transmission as a defining purchase criterion because it significantly alters the driving experience.  But climate control?  ???

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »
Ok I admit I might be able to live without it... but I love it. It stays on 20.5C all the time and I hardly ever have to change it. Sometimes when I've just played hockey, I'll set it down to 17C but otherwise not having to fumble with HVAC controls is really nice, especially in the winter time when you crank up the heat when you first start the car but eventually it gets too hot. Manual controls might be ok in the summer time when I don't care if it gets too cold.

Lack of ACC might not break the sale like in the new Mazda 3 Skyactiv or Jetta TDI, but I'll look twice at vehicles that do have the feature.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »
It remind me of BMW 3 series. However the power trains are just, hmm, mediocre. Torque numbers are below 200. Not so premium and sporty after all.
Bombastic

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
I don't see where all the blatant outrage is coming from. It is arguably a better knockoff than the CSX ever was, and is more in line with the size of the old TSX. Speaking of the CSX, that car was basically a Civic with different headlights - this at least offers a substantially more premium interior and exterior design than its Honda cousin. And, while I realize that everything on wheels seems to be comparable to the Sonata, this is a premium-branded car. While I can't say from personal experience, I have it on good authority that Acura offers a very high level of customer service, one would hope that service defines itself from Honda and Hyundai. From the photos the interior looks great to my eyes, and Acura has proven itself over the years as a luxurious and well-made car.

The only thing I truly don't understand are the engine/transmission options. The 2.4 should have a 6 or 7-speed auto as standard equipment. Yes, the CSX type-S was manual only, but that was easier to take seriously as a sporty car. The base model should have had minimum 160 hp (to compete with a Focus), and if you're going to offer a manual put it in the base car. As others have noted, it's not like this is a sporty car in any trim...either keep the value proposition for the 3-pedal car, or introduce a sport model that's actually got some 'sport'.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »
I don't see where all the blatant outrage is coming from. It is arguably a better knockoff than the CSX ever was, and is more in line with the size of the old TSX. Speaking of the CSX, that car was basically a Civic with different headlights - this at least offers a substantially more premium interior and exterior design than its Honda cousin. And, while I realize that everything on wheels seems to be comparable to the Sonata, this is a premium-branded car. While I can't say from personal experience, I have it on good authority that Acura offers a very high level of customer service, one would hope that service defines itself from Honda and Hyundai. From the photos the interior looks great to my eyes, and Acura has proven itself over the years as a luxurious and well-made car.

The only thing I truly don't understand are the engine/transmission options. The 2.4 should have a 6 or 7-speed auto as standard equipment. Yes, the CSX type-S was manual only, but that was easier to take seriously as a sporty car. The base model should have had minimum 160 hp (to compete with a Focus), and if you're going to offer a manual put it in the base car. As others have noted, it's not like this is a sporty car in any trim...either keep the value proposition for the 3-pedal car, or introduce a sport model that's actually got some 'sport'.

I'm not sure I would call it blatant outrage, but nonetheless I think you partly answered your own question in your second paragraph.  IMHO this car is overpriced, offers really no new technologies or features compared to the likes of an Elantra Limited or Ford Focus.  Dated tranny (although it does do the job efficiently), bizarre package optioning, underpowered for a supposedly lux brand.  Acura's current slogan "Advance" surely doesn't scream out to me here.  I actually don't mind the car all that much, I just think it's overpriced given it's mediocrity.  If the base starts at close to $30k, what does the 2.4 cost? $33k ish? 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:37 pm »
Seems to be aimed at the increasingly small number of blinder-equipped Honda loyalists. As others have said, it makes the Verano look like a steal.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »
This to me is just a continuation of the decline to mediocrity that is plaguing Honda/Acura

The ILX does nothing to generate any enthusiasm or interest - it's just a nicer Civic (as the CSX was).  The comment above sums it up for me "..a better knockoff than the CSX was.."  That's progress?  And, to the point 'Acura offers a high level of customer service' - yes I was generally treated well in the 8 years I had an Acura product, but when I had the TL and my wife had the Civic, she had I think as good or better service at the Honda dealer.  Only difference was that with Acura I got a loaner a couple of times that the TL was in for service.  The Honda dealership was nicer and more modern that the Acura dealership was too.

I just have to think back to 2003 when the TSX first came out.  I absolutely fell in love with that car (still miss it...) it checked all the right boxes for me - a step up from (and much more appealing) than an Accord, looks good, drives good, nimble, efficient, etc.. When the TSX came out , for the price there was nothing else like it.  I HAD to have it & drove the dealer nuts until they secured one of the first ones for me. 

So, fast forward to 2007 - swapped the TSX for TL.  I wasn't all that enthused about the TL, but the deal was too good to pass up.  It was a good car, but didn't have the same passion for it that I did the TSX.  Fast fwd again to 2011 - Acura has nothing that interest me. 

Now in our garage sits a Volvo & a Hyundai....

And,,, oh yes.  Go Sens Go !!!   ;D

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
Looks like another swing and a miss for Acura.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »
Seems to be aimed at the increasingly small number of blinder-equipped Honda loyalists. As others have said, it makes the Verano look like a steal.
i believe everyone agreed the Verano is an excellent vehicle from the General...in fact, likely one of the only vehicles i would consider buying with my own money...at least currently.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 08:27:44 am »
At the second day our blog talls me that all of us, from the autor to the less critical blogger are with a lot of notes regarding ILX. I remember when Verano was discussed it was compared intuitively with BMW3, IS 250 and so on. I mentioned ILX and the eventually forthcomming next gen of long ago discontinued G20. Now I see Verano is the main real competitor...but much better. My point here is that ILX should compete with its own Civic EX-L/Si and others like Volvo's S40, Sentra SE=R and so on. The only thing Acura must reconsider is...the price! Otherwise Honda soon gons do the same they just did begun with Civic - to begin reworking the vehicle before the end of the cycle. Or may be I'm wrong? Sales will show, but I doubt this car gona go well in term sales...

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 08:55:30 am »
I agree that the ILX is underwhelming in most respects.  Also, to me it looks like a baby TL, which does not bode well either.  The TSX is the only Acura I would consider right now, but even it is far less appealing than it's predecessor.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:33 am »
i believe everyone agreed the Verano is an excellent vehicle from the General...in fact, likely one of the only vehicles i would consider buying with my own money...at least currently.

I don't.

One can't criticize the ILX for being a "Civic knockoff" without conceding that the Verano is a Cruze with leather and some soundproofing. And we're also criticizing the ILX for not being sporty - the last time I checked the Verano has a 180-hp engine and NO options...at least the ILX is available with a more powerful 2.4L engine, even if it is paired with a transmission that nobody will buy.