Author Topic: 2012 Kia Rio SX with NAV  (Read 34045 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2012 Kia Rio SX with NAV
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:10 am »
And I'll add that I really enjoy these updates to show n' shine posts - interesting to hear how the experience unfolds over the years.   :cheers:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2019, 04:19:28 pm »
A/C update:

had to pay $145 for an evap and recharge of the system...they drained it, filled it back up, and looked for leaks...couldn't find any leaks, blows ice cold air...i questioned that the product doesn't disappear in thin air, to which they agreed...they said to try it for a while and report back if it fails again (maybe in the next week or so)...it's possible there is a slow leak, but the dye will at least allow them to locate it....so, we'll try that.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2019, 12:15:56 pm »
so, it's been a couple of weeks...A/C still works great...no idea why, but whatever.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
Leaks are often tiny and may take a bit of time. You'll probably go through the entire summer just fine and next spring find it needs another recharge.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2019, 12:31:49 pm »
Leaks are often tiny and may take a bit of time. You'll probably go through the entire summer just fine and next spring find it needs another recharge.
maybe when i get my oil changed in the fall, i'll see if they can take a look to see if there is any dye anywhere.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2020, 11:10:51 pm »
just another update...i'm off for the next week and a half, so i dropped the Rio5 off at the dealership again to further diagnose the AC issue...a second issue popped up recently too...when braking heavily (like when the traffic light changes at the last minute), the car seems to almost want to stall...the odd thing is, the tach still shows decent revs...not sure what's up...it stalled in the parking lot the other day on my way home from work, and almost stalled pulling out of the garage on my way to the dealer today...it also through up a CEL, which is maybe a good thing since it may help them figure out what it's doing...i was kind of hoping to hear something back today, but i didn't...i don't need the car back right away, but i'd like to know what's wrong with it so there's time next week to get it done.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »
preliminary reports point to a condenser (for the AC issue)...regarding the CEL and stalling issue, cylinder 3 is misfiring (occasionally)...they need to do more digging to find out why.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »
You still have extended warranty on your car? Hopefully just needs a recharge.

Looks good btw.
yea, i still have almost 3 more years of warranty...i purchased the 10 years/200,000 kms bumper to bumper warranty when i bought it because i had no experience with Kia products and i've found stuff starts to go on cars after about 7 years.

Well, in that case I hope it’s the entire A/C system that needs to be replaced.
and then the engine and transmission at year 9.  ;D

Engine swap in the future?  Be careful what you wish for...

This is why I can't put my trust in Korean cars as a long-term transportation even if it's my home country's car company.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2020, 05:27:25 pm »
just got off the phone with the service advisor...my patience is wearing very thin with these guys.

he tells me they drained the refrigerant, of which there was basically none, then recharged the system and noticed a cap was missing, so they replaced the cap too (to seal it?)...he then said that i have to monitor it for the next bit to see if that fixes it...i let him know that's exactly what i did last year already.

i then asked about the stalling issue...he said i should get a fuel induction service and change the spark plugs to see if that fixes it...i asked how much that cost...$500...i then asked what if i pay $500 for that stuff and it still doesn't fix it...he said step 2 would be to remove the head and manually clean the valves and replace the injectors, and that would be about $1200...i told him i don't feel like spending $500 for a service that may not even fix the problem that i brought the car in for...also, if it needs new injectors, that should be covered under my extended warranty...he then says the injectors aren't covered because they are a maintenance item...i lost it right there...first off, fuel injectors are not a maintenance item...secondly, they most definitely are covered under the extended warranty (i verified in the warranty book).

he then mentioned there was a backing plate on my rear brakes that needs to be replaced (even though i replaced the brakes maybe 18 months ago, certainly no more than 2 years anyway) as well as 3 updates that needed to be done (some knock sensor update program and a couple of other ECM flashes or something)...he mentioned he has a full inspection report...i asked him what i owe so far, and he says $300...i asked what the $300 was for, and he mentioned it was for the AC service drain/recharge and the 3 updates...i told him i already paid for the AC service when i originally brought the car in last summer and that i certainly wasn't going to pay for the same service again since they obviously didn't fix anything the last 2 times i brought it in for that...i then let him know i shouldn't be charged for software updates as they would either be recalls or TSBs so i shouldn't be charged for them either...i told him perhaps i will just gather my reports on Monday, pick up my car (which isn't fixed) and no longer use their facility for servicing...he is going to check with his manager and head office on Monday to confirm everything.

i have no confidence in this shop any longer and it's likely i'll never return, even if this is resolved.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
he then mentioned there was a backing plate on my rear brakes that needs to be replaced (even though i replaced the brakes maybe 18 months ago, certainly no more than 2 years anyway)

To replace a backing plate for a 2012 car seems premature. Why? Did they say? Rear drum brakes are rarely problematic with FWD cars. I can't think of any car I have heard of needing a rear backing plate replaced.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2020, 05:41:45 pm »
he then mentioned there was a backing plate on my rear brakes that needs to be replaced (even though i replaced the brakes maybe 18 months ago, certainly no more than 2 years anyway)

To replace a backing plate for a 2012 car seems premature. Why? Did they say? Rear drum brakes are rarely problematic with FWD cars. I can't think of any car I have heard of needing a rear backing plate replaced.
it has 4 wheel disc brakes...the original brakes last 5 years...i've replaced them twice since then (3 years and about 40,000 kms)...no more brakes from them, as they obviously put sub par stuff on them.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2020, 05:54:42 pm »
Even with disc brakes, I cannot think of any car 2012 or newer, needing rear backing plate replacement.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2020, 06:05:51 pm »
preliminary reports point to a condenser (for the AC issue)...regarding the CEL and stalling issue, cylinder 3 is misfiring (occasionally)...they need to do more digging to find out why.

Based on your next post I wouldn't trust that place either. Buy an OEM spark plug and an injector and get them both replaced by an independent mechanic, or better yet let him read the CEL code first. If you need a cheap local source for parts (hyundai), PM me (on the other hand extended warranty should likely cover such things).
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2020, 06:58:01 pm »

Based on your next post I wouldn't trust that place either. Buy an OEM spark plug and an injector and get them both replaced by an independent mechanic, or better yet let him read the CEL code first. If you need a cheap local source for parts (hyundai), PM me (on the other hand extended warranty should likely cover such things).
yea, i'm going to wait until Monday to see what they come back with...i'm expecting to pay very little (maybe some diagnostic time, but certainly not $300) or nothing...i'm also expecting my AC to be fixed (not guessed at) as well as the stalling issue...i don't want it to stall while i'm turning left in an intersection...if it needs new injectors, then i'll ask them to put them in and since it's clearly stated as a covered item in my extended warranty package, bill the warranty for it (that's what i paid for).

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2020, 07:04:14 pm »
What do they do for the fuel injector service?  Do they actually remove the injector and clean it?  Or just run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system? 

And, spark plugs should be relatively easy to replace in your driveway.  Most 4-cylinder cars have them facing the front of the engine so they're easy to access.

Your car is 8 years old now.  Maybe it's time to forgo the dealership and find yourself an Indy mechanic. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2020, 07:09:02 pm »
...if it needs new injectors, then i'll ask them to put them in and since it's clearly stated as a covered item in my extended warranty package, bill the warranty for it (that's what i paid for).

Will be interesting to see if they come back with....OH, it wasn't the injectors like we thought, it is now X. Where X won't be covered under any warranty.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »
Is this car direct injected?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2020, 07:23:12 pm »
What do they do for the fuel injector service?  Do they actually remove the injector and clean it?  Or just run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system? 

And, spark plugs should be relatively easy to replace in your driveway.  Most 4-cylinder cars have them facing the front of the engine so they're easy to access.

Your car is 8 years old now.  Maybe it's time to forgo the dealership and find yourself an Indy mechanic.
they call it a fuel induction service...essentially, they disconnect the fuel system, connect this machine to the intake, and run this spray stuff through the intake...they then let it sit for a while (called a hot soak) which apparently looses the debris off the valves...lastly, they put everything back together and drive it at highway speeds to flush anything residual out...i've read a bit online about it...it seems to be a legit option if you are having issues (similar to what i have been having), but they say don't do it "just because" as it's only needed if you are experiencing the issues...the only reason i start at the dealership is the extended warranty, although that hasn't been going well so far.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2020, 07:24:16 pm »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2020, 07:46:55 am »
Ugh.  Sorry to hear of the PITA situation.  I don't think it's unique to Hyundai, though.