Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD  (Read 19107 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
I agree with you Jaeger.   I have driven a minivan for exactly 4 trips  TO to Guelph loaded with stuff and 4 trips back empty.   It was an Odyssey and it was a fine car either way.   If I needed a big vehicle I would have no problem with one and as people say, a Caravan is unbeatable value.   But in my normal life I have exactly no use for such a thing.

Ditto that.  I have twice rented a minivan for a week when we had family visiting from out of the coutry and wanted to be able to do some road-trips in just one vehicle.  I had a Chrysler once and an Odyssey the second time.  Both drove well - at least as well as a great many middling midsize sedans.  Both proved extremely capable at doing exactly what they were designed to do - move a lot of people and their junk around in relative comfort.  At no time did I feel like I had to wear a paper bag over my head.

I get why it's not a vehicle you would drive if you didn't need it - (any more than I would drive a cargo van or pickup truck if I didn't need their particular capabilities).  What I don't get is why some feel like it would be a public humiliation to be seen driving one.  I'm not that image-obsessed, and don't get why it's a negative image in the first place.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »
...but I don't understand the "shudder" "God-forbid" "rather die than drive a minivan" attitude. Are people really that wrapped up in image - and is a vehicle really that much of what they perceive as self-defining?

Jaeger

Really? You're asking that in the automobile world that caters to virtually every taste, circumstance and want? Where vehicles are specifically designed to a market demographic/niche like clothing? Oh wait, yours was one of those rhetorical thingys....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 01:10:38 pm »

richink

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 02:24:07 pm »
 :iagree:  :rofl: Even though I contributed to the beating.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:02 pm »

[/quote]

Absolutely. Nothing beats a van for schleping kids stuff around. The sliding doors in a crowded parking lot sure make bolting JR into their seat much easier.

I wasn't smart enough to use a van during my kid seat days. I had to be "enlightened" and use an array of Euro wagons. My back paid for it...
[/quote]

I'm where you were several years ago, KTM, struggling with back pain every time I have to secure my 2yo daughter in the low seat while ducking under the low roof of my Jetta wagon and craving the more comfortable height of a crossover or minivan. With every passing week i crave the truly smart Mazda5 a little bit more. It has the right height for me or my 5' tall wife, the small footprint of a compact car, extra seats for in-laws or cousins (and plenty of cargo space most of the time when the 3rd row is not in use), the best fuel economy of any van with sliding doors and a shape and styling that i really like (pre-2012 models).

If i lived in an area that needed AWD to survive the winter, I'd be frustrated with the lack of minivan options with AWD, and would lean toward the Sienna, which I think looks great, especially when thinking back to minivans like the Previa, Uplander, Aerostar and other design disasters....

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »
Yet the Previa is still pretty desirable.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »
before getting another truck I look at the vans, I hated the drive position of the Sienna 2 minutes and I had enough

odyssey then Quest , caravan was cheap  but it had a cheap price

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »
I wonder how the new Quest stacks up against the Sienna and Odyessy?  I kinda dig the looks of the new Quest, although I haven't sat inside of one.  
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 03:47:22 pm »
I would say $40k is reasonable. What is the average cost of a mid/large soft SUV (Pilot, Highlander, Acadia) these days? The AWD adds..

I would say so too. BUT, as tested this minivan is closer to a WHOPPING $60k, and as such is not on my radar. For this kind of doe, I'll take a new, albeit base, GC AND a new friggin' kitchen or a finished basement. $60k for something that isn't a luxury item that is bound to get trashed by the kids in no time is too much in my books unless you're loaded and just don't care.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »
I wonder how the new Quest stacks up against the Sienna and Odyessy?  I kinda dig the looks of the new Quest, although I haven't sat inside of one.  
my wife almost  :hurl: when she saw in the driveway  :rofl:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »
I would say $40k is reasonable. What is the average cost of a mid/large soft SUV (Pilot, Highlander, Acadia) these days? The AWD adds..

I would say so too. BUT, as tested this minivan is closer to a WHOPPING $60k, and as such is not on my radar. For this kind of doe, I'll take a new, albeit base, GC AND a new friggin' kitchen or a finished basement. $60k for something that isn't a luxury item that is bound to get trashed by the kids in no time is too much in my books unless you're loaded and just don't care.

$60K?!?!?!?! Whoa, you could have a Caravan, a few nice vacations and an RV for that kinda money  ???
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

Inside Line has a long term Quest right now - and either still have or recently finished long term tests of Odyssey and Sienna.  Suprisingly (to me, anyway) they are falling all over themselves praising the Quest's powertrain - yes - the CVT - versus that of the other two.  They say it is far more responsive and smooth than the conventional transmissions in the other two, and IL are not generally CVT fans by any stretch.  They seem to feel Nissan has raeally nailed the CVT / V6 combo in this application.

I think it suffers in max cargo space versus the other two and that is the big knock against it.

Jaeger

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 04:00:08 pm »
before getting another truck I look at the vans, I hated the drive position of the Sienna 2 minutes and I had enough

odyssey then Quest , caravan was cheap  but it had a cheap price

+1 on the driving position in the Sienna. I was disappointed in the interior quality and driving feel after my test drive.
The Quest is only nice in some and trim levels colours. Saw one in white this morning on my way to work. Yuckkk. Black helps it hide its square shape.
A minivan is a beater. I have 3 kids under 5, and there is NO WAY I can keep it clean inside for more than a few days. Kids bring dirt from the ground, food from their backpacks, they stomp on the backs of the seats in front of them. The Sienna will look like a pig's pen in a matter of weeks with its light coloured interior. I got a used Entourage and couldn't care less what my kids do to it. I will likely have to replace it in a few years due to its age, and it will most likely be the GC - 5 year warranty and 75% depreciation when the warranty runs out I am OK with.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:02:02 pm by whaddaiknow »

richink

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »
$60K?!?!?!?! Whoa, you could have a Caravan, a few nice vacations and an RV for that kinda money  ???
Count a couple of bucks for tows on the odd chance that you get it stuck when AWD may have saved your butt. I'd be thinking of an under $10k automotive indulgence as well.

I repeat myself, a minvan is an appliance. After 5 years of typical use they all have shopping cart dents, baby barf on the carpets and dried up gummie bears stuck under the seats. A $60k Sienna with AWD and all the goodies will have a phenomenally shocking depreciation curve as 99% of people looking for a used Sienna will neither care that it has all that fancy junk on it nor will they pay a penny more for it than a base model that sold new for less than half that price.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 04:47:22 pm »
Count a couple of bucks for tows on the odd chance that you get it stuck when AWD may have saved your butt. I'd be thinking of an under $10k automotive indulgence as well.

I repeat myself, a minvan is an appliance. After 5 years of typical use they all have shopping cart dents, baby barf on the carpets and dried up gummie bears stuck under the seats. A $60k Sienna with AWD and all the goodies will have a phenomenally shocking depreciation curve as 99% of people looking for a used Sienna will neither care that it has all that fancy junk on it nor will they pay a penny more for it than a base model that sold new for less than half that price.

Most of the younger couples I know that have bought minivans were more worried about rear DVD players, built in child seats and rear heat rather than navigation systems, leather and power opening doors......oh yeah, and the absolute cheapest way to get into one.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
I just thought of this, my truck has a vinyl floor, with the amount of juice, candy, vomit....that ends up on the floor of a minivan, this would be a great feature....along with gore-tex seats.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »
And yet I see quite a few fully loaded Odyssey's, Sienna's and such on the road. I guess there is a market for them even though I don't understand it.

richink

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 04:57:40 pm »

Most of the younger couples I know that have bought minivans were more worried about rear DVD players, built in child seats and rear heat rather than navigation systems, leather and power opening doors......oh yeah, and the absolute cheapest way to get into one.

Yep $20k for the van, another $250 for an overhead DVD system off eBay, $100 worth of mats from Crappy Tire and away you go. Drive it until it dies. APPLIANCE.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »
And yet I see quite a few fully loaded Odyssey's, Sienna's and such on the road. I guess there is a market for them even though I don't understand it.

Most Caravans I see are base-mid model versions, and most Odysseys/Siennas are mid to high end versions.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »

Yep $20k for the van, another $250 for an overhead DVD system off eBay, $100 worth of mats from Crappy Tire and away you go. Drive it until it dies. APPLIANCE.

But alas, not everyone thinks the same.  I can see why some might want a loaded up mini van and I can also see what some would want the cheapest and most basic one out there.