Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Durango; Day 1  (Read 20041 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Durango; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
Van? lol.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12400
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »
So why are your preferences superior to mine again?

They should make that a banner heading for every subforum.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »
I was NOT comparing my BMW to a Durango, that would be silly (don't know why you did that). I was just showcasing how it stood out in its class, and how the Durango doesn't stand out in its own class.

How does describing any car as "entry level luxury" showcase anything? All you did was describe why you like your BMW. Which of course, has nothing at all to do with why someone else might like a Durango.

Simple logic.

Simple? Yes. Logic? No.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »
Still, I'd like to hear a couple of good reasons why someone would pick the Durango over the competition other than it's towing capacity. Not stirring the pot here.

Check the C&D link I posted above.  That was their explanation for picking it over a Pilot and Explorer.

I agree that these jack-of-all trade vehicles have to make a lot of compromises, but c'est la vie.  And the towing capacity is a big deal, if you have something heavy to tow.  There may not be many people that fall into the "I need to haul more than 5 people AND tow > 5000 lb", but there are likely a few.  And this is a CUV option for them, rather than a BOF SUV.

Of course, the real reason many people will buy this vehicle (unfortunately for those of us wagon lovers who place function over form) are its looks.  Just like most other vehicles on the market!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
the Tahoe, Seqouia and Armada are a much, MUCH, better vehicle than this thing

I'm not so sure about that.  Those BOF SUV's certainly have their strength (towing), but aren't appreciably better in that regard than the Durango.  The Tahoe's 2nd and 3rd rows are quite cramped.  3rd row legroom - 650 mm Tahoe, 818 mm Armada, 896 mm Sequoia, and 800 mm Durango.  2nd row legroom is similar for the Duragno, Sequoia, and Tahoe, with the Armada having about 100 mm more (from GM comparison page).  A Suburban would have significantly more room, but not a Tahoe.  None of these vehicles are truly designed to transport 7 people in comfort - if you want to do that, get a minivan.  But then you won't be towing 6000 + pounds as well. 
I've never driven any of these vehicles so I don't know for sure, but the reviews for the Durango's drive have been very positive.  I'd be surprised if it drove/handled any worse than the BOF SUVs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2011-dodge-durango-crew-awd-vs-2011-ford-explorer-xlt-4wd-2011-honda-pilot-touring-4wd-comparison-test-car-and-driver-2011-dodge-durango-crew-awd-page-4

Im just looking at it from a towing aspect, I mean if someone is actually looking at one of these beast youd think at least they would need to tow something big. The Durango not having a real frame also scares me, you put a heavy trailer behind this thing enough and I wonder what its going to do to the entire chassis. Having a solid rear axle is also better, less spinning bits to worry about and easily upgradeble. I dont know, I just think the Durango kinda missed the mark in my opinion, much better than that old Dodge Dakota with a few extra seats thing, but for me there are too many downsides. Then again, I still liked the old Suburbans with solid axles and a 454 under the hood.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
I was NOT comparing my BMW to a Durango, that would be silly (don't know why you did that). I was just showcasing how it stood out in its class, and how the Durango doesn't stand out in its own class.

How does describing any car as "entry level luxury" showcase anything? All you did was describe why you like your BMW. Which of course, has nothing at all to do with why someone else might like a Durango.

Simple logic.

Simple? Yes. Logic? No.

The last thing I want to engage in is a futile discussion on the merits/demerits of a certain vehicle with a person who sells cars for a living. For every question I raise you will find a 1,000 different ways to call me an idiot. That's your job, you have to sell it even if it's crap.

I do enjoy your stories in the other thread though.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 03:13:23 pm »
"Dodge was bottom of the barrel just a few years ago, but now they are playing in the big leagues with new designs, and hitting home run after home run."

Easy there fella! I would say they still are bottom of the barrel - at least until I start seeing reliability improve. Their new engine is looking good but aside from that. Everything is pretty much carry-over from the last 2 years that I can see.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »
"Dodge was bottom of the barrel just a few years ago, but now they are playing in the big leagues with new designs, and hitting home run after home run."

Easy there fella! I would say they still are bottom of the barrel - at least until I start seeing reliability improve. Their new engine is looking good but aside from that. Everything is pretty much carry-over from the last 2 years that I can see.

Just visited the Dodge.ca website.
7 vehicles on the menu:

Durango
Avenger
Challenger
Charger
Caliber
Grand Caravan
Journey

Which ones hit home run? I can see Grand Caravan and Journey as worthy nominees but that is based primarily on their low pricing. Both not as good looking as the Durango but way ahead on value.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:38 pm »
So why do you drive Bimmer, there are other cars that get you from a to b
Drive what you want ( unless I have a better idea  ;D

I drive a bimmer because it offers something others don't - superior driving experience, a sweet I6 engine, 4-year free maintenance, and it's an entry level luxury to boot.
Just because drive a BMW you think know more then anyone else
To drive down the 401 or 417 a Prius does just as a job as a BMW because on the 401 there is nothing to experience 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
Just because drive a BMW you think know more then anyone else
To drive down the 401 or 417 a Prius does just as a job as a BMW because on the 401 there is nothing to experience 

Did I lose something in translation?  ::)
What does my driving a BMW have anything to do with knowing more than anyone else? I drive it because it cost me $50/mo more than the 4-cyl Accord with 4-year free maintenance, because it's a great driving car and because I can afford it. Since when does it equate to me knowing more than anyone else?
My father used to tell me since I was a kid. "Don't try to jump over your head, no matter how well you feed a dog, the donkey's d!ck will still be bigger". So I know driving a particular car is a sign of nothing as there's always someone driving a "better" car than me with plenty of examples right here on this forum.

So please tell me what is the relationship between driving a Prius on the 401 and Durango falling short on some key value points besides towing capacity (which may still be questioned being a unibody construction)?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »
I think it's about time for everyone involved to put their rulers down... TO EACH THEIR OWN folks!!!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
I think it's about time for everyone involved to put their rulers down... TO EACH THEIR OWN folks!!!

Amen. This review will interest folks who may want to buy a Durango - period. Let it be.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 05:33:54 pm »
stopped by the dealer today to look at their offerings again. Sat in the Durango - most comfy. I'm 6'3 and had good room up front and in the second row. Third row - didnt even try.....my dog would love it though!

Stick by my statement on the interior - well done, just like the new Journey (which is most likely what we will be replacing the van with).

In black the Durango looks sweeeeeeet!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 05:53:34 pm »
Saw a 2012 and an Old one on the hiway today, new one looks much better

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
I like the new of the new Durango. When the 8 speeder arrives, apparently for the 2013 model the v6 would be quite tempting. Right now the fuel use is a little too high and the performance a little too restricted by the 5 speed. I have no need for a Durango, but if I started towing occasionally, had a bunch of kids and wanted an SUV - it could well be a durango. More likely an updated version of my Mazda 5 and I wouldn't be towing because I can't afford anything that gets towed...

richink

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:30 am »
Vehicles like this infuriate me. Your average Durangoat/Tahore/Exspuditchin' owner uses that neighbourhood carpool, I use it to tow 'X', rough and tough offroading hillbilly argument however each time I see one of these things pull into our local community centre, only one or two kids pops out of it. Follow one to it's roost and you generally don't find that accessory recreational vehicle, or at least one that's easily towed by a Fusion. They're so flipping high off the ground that your average spouse needs a step ladder to get into it, and as Chris points out, you practically split your back hoofing stuff up into it. They occupy a relatively massive amount of real estate compared to a family sedan or minivan, I refuse to park beside them for fear of parking lot dings. They are also generally the 1st to go into the ditch in bad weather, people usually get this unwarranted sense of overconfidence with the lumbering ride and high driving position.

Solution - economical vehicle for the 99% of the time where you don't need a beast like this. The 1% can be satisfied with a rental, F150's are had for $19.99 a day from most rent-a-sled companies.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 11:31:36 am »
Vehicles like this infuriate me. Your average Durangoat/Tahore/Exspuditchin' owner uses that neighbourhood carpool, I use it to tow 'X', rough and tough offroading hillbilly argument however each time I see one of these things pull into our local community centre, only one or two kids pops out of it. Follow one to it's roost and you generally don't find that accessory recreational vehicle, or at least one that's easily towed by a Fusion. They're so flipping high off the ground that your average spouse needs a step ladder to get into it, and as Chris points out, you practically split your back hoofing stuff up into it. They occupy a relatively massive amount of real estate compared to a family sedan or minivan, I refuse to park beside them for fear of parking lot dings. They are also generally the 1st to go into the ditch in bad weather, people usually get this unwarranted sense of overconfidence with the lumbering ride and high driving position.

Solution - economical vehicle for the 99% of the time where you don't need a beast like this. The 1% can be satisfied with a rental, F150's are had for $19.99 a day from most rent-a-sled companies.

Why do you get infuriated over other people's choices? Using my own experience of a Volvo wagon (V70R) vs my current Land Rover LR3 I would say that one isn't better than the other. Just different. They use similar amounts of fuel (within 1-2 L/100 km/h on the highway.). The LR3 has a tighter turning circle so it parks so much easier and doesn't po other drivers in a busy parking lot while you make a 5 point turn. They have a similar footprint.(191 vs 185" and 74 vs 71"). I can also attest to the fact that it is much easier loading kids and cargo into the Land Rover vs the Volvo. The icing on the cake is the extra seats in the Land Rover and it's superior cargo capacity (volume and weight).

As for the ditch thing I have put niether in. The guy who bought my V70R put his previous one in the ditch (but thats another a story) so cars get in there too. The LR3 hasn't hit the ditch yet but it has pulled one other car out (Taurus).

Here is my question: Which is more ridiculous: A Volvo wagon with way more performance capability  (300HP+ and a 250 km/h top speed)  than what is needed to drive in our low speed limit country or a ponderous SUV with way more off-road capability than will be used 99% of the time? Both are, and that is what makes them fun.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 11:52:38 am »

So people are wrong for driving a vehicle of their choice??? Something they worked hard for??? Not everyone makes $10/hour and can afford something better than some ridiculous little s%^tbox. I couldnt imagine ever driving something like that, Id go nuts owning a Fit, Accent or something like that. Thats not a car, its a tin car with 83 horsepower. Besides, when we get huge snowfalls here, its everyone with their little cars moaning and complaining to the city that they cant go to work because this wasnt plowed or went off a road because of a 6" high snowdrift. Its personal preference, you keep rocking your subcompact.....Im buying my wife a Z71 Tahoe.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 12:04:15 pm »

So people are wrong for driving a vehicle of their choice??? Something they worked hard for??? Not everyone makes $10/hour and can afford something better than some ridiculous little s%^tbox. I couldnt imagine ever driving something like that, Id go nuts owning a Fit, Accent or something like that. Thats not a car, its a tin car with 83 horsepower. Besides, when we get huge snowfalls here, its everyone with their little cars moaning and complaining to the city that they cant go to work because this wasnt plowed or went off a road because of a 6" high snowdrift. Its personal preference, you keep rocking your subcompact.....Im buying my wife a Z71 Tahoe.

Good call. I see your Tahoe and raise you an Expedition Max.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »