Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A6, 2005-2011  (Read 20178 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Audi A6, 2005-2011
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:44 am »
ok it's the same old.
If somebody want's to drive a high end German sedan, should be aware of maintenance.
If you want to drive a stove , go ahead, no excitement, not so trilling, but reliable.
look in every rich neighborhood, you'll find at least one high end German sedan.Don't tell me that those people are stupid.They like what they drive and they can afford the bills for maintaining.
If the car is 50 grand , and you have only 50 grand, then don't buy it.
Also everyone here jumped on German car reliability have in mind only high end models that are on sell here.Don't   forget German and other EU car companies are making way more other models that are very efficient and reliable.
They advanced diesel technology far behind anybody else did.Taxis in EU are going over million kms if you think that Europeans don't drive, also normal commute in Germany is around 100 km, and yes the highway are much better.
I do prefer European car as a car, but when it comes to let's say trucks, then Americans are making them the best.
Just thing of preference.
Before I bought the A3 I did test drive 2005 A6.
Very nice car, smooth,  enough power,  handling was very, very nice.
But it was the car for the boss(the wife), and we end up with the A3 which is also trill to drive because is very fast(2.0 TSFI)quatro s line .No problems so far, oh yes one burn signal bulb.
51 000 km.

??? "If the car is 50 grand , and you have only 50 grand, then don't buy it." Seriously? That has to be one of the most brainless advice anybody has given about buying a new car. Wow.

richink

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:08 am »
??? "If the car is 50 grand , and you have only 50 grand, then don't buy it." Seriously? That has to be one of the most brainless advice anybody has given about buying a new car. Wow.
:iagree: Yeah that seems a little odd to me as well. The opportunity with a 2-3 year old upscale Euro sled is to get that $50k car for the price of a well equipped Altima, Accord or Sonata. Risk/reward as you drive the car. I did it last time around with my Volvo, I doubt I will do it again but not because of a bad ownership experience (quite the oppostie in fact), I just want a new car all to myself next time around.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:45 am »
:iagree: Yeah that seems a little odd to me as well. The opportunity with a 2-3 year old upscale Euro sled is to get that $50k car for the price of a well equipped Altima, Accord or Sonata. Risk/reward as you drive the car. I did it last time around with my Volvo, I doubt I will do it again but not because of a bad ownership experience (quite the oppostie in fact), I just want a new car all to myself next time around.

I can understand a statement like that for 3-4 year old CPO European car which is near or off warranty but not new. Depending on model you had better have a spare $5k-$10k in a Euro account ready for when something expires.

richink

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:40 am »

I can understand a statement like that for 3-4 year old CPO European car which is near or off warranty but not new. Depending on model you had better have a spare $5k-$10k in a Euro account ready for when something expires.
Yes that is the sentiment. My S60 had a finicky climate control issue cured by a new fan, climate module and one of the temp flappers replaced, a $3500 bill that I was glad to hand over the $50 deductible on the CPO warranty for. It's been great otherwise, although my local Volvo expert has told me that we'll have a serious chat together if I have it long enough to have to change the clutch. I predict another 2 yeras unless something catastrophic happens.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:46 am »
The 16 hour labour charge and then all the bits to replace the just sufficient clutch was one of the reasons I ditched the V70R. Internal clutch slave that was prone to leaking would almost guarantee a clutch job. Figure at least $5k from a dealer. :o

Offline macedonian

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 jetta tdi, 2009audiA3,2013RAM1500BIGHORN
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »
ok it's the same old.
If somebody want's to drive a high end German sedan, should be aware of maintenance.
If you want to drive a stove , go ahead, no excitement, not so trilling, but reliable.
look in every rich neighborhood, you'll find at least one high end German sedan.Don't tell me that those people are stupid.They like what they drive and they can afford the bills for maintaining.
Also everyone here jumped on German car reliability have in mind only high end models that are on sell here.Don't   forget German and other EU car companies are making way more other models that are very efficient and reliable.
They advanced diesel technology far behind anybody else did.Taxis in EU are going over million kms if you think that Europeans don't drive, also normal commute in Germany is around 100 km, and yes the highway are much better.
I do prefer European car as a car, but when it comes to let's say trucks, then Americans are making them the best.
But it was the car for the boss(the wife), and we end up with the A3 which is also trill to drive because is very fast(2.0 TSFI)quatro s line .No problems so far, oh yes one burn signal bulb.
51 000 km.

I meant if you can't afford the maintenance on the car then don't buy it.
You will be up for a big ugly awakening, because car that expensive require more money for maintenance just because all shits and giggles in the car.
you have batter advice 'smarty pants'?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »
ok it's the same old.
51 000 km.

I meant if you can't afford the maintenance on the car then don't buy it.
You will be up for a big ugly awakening, because car that expensive require more money for maintenance just because all shits and giggles in the car.
you have batter advice 'smarty pants'?

Batter up. What do you consider maintenance costs? How many people who buy $50k cars pay cash? What are you talking about? Regular scheduled maintenance on a new car worth $50k could range from $0 to $500 a year. What is this ugly awakening you are talking about? please enlighten us.

Offline nbtoab

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 01:56:16 am »
At best,these days, when a car gets redesigned, its seems that even the base models match or exceed the performance of the best versions of the older models. At least, I was hoping that Subaru would realize that in order to sell they'll have to build a satisfying impreza with a touch of WRX spirit.

Needing an auto trans, I was disappointed when I found out the only choice is a (bad) cvt. Add to that all the critical reviews on steering/suspension/braking, not to mention the bland interior reviews, and I'm not even interested in going to have a look.

Had Subaru put more effort into this awd car, capitalizing on their high CR rating, it would have easily had great potential to become the #1 Canadian best seller.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:25 pm »
Not sure what all that has to do with a used Audi, but nice of you to give us your take on the new Impreza...

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 02:33:26 am »
I really....REALLY want to love all German made autos.....BUT (always the but) they always play the same song...."take my money and run".    ;)
I'm driving a 2004 BMW 645ci cabriolet for a year now and after 25000km is hasn't given me any problems except a broken light bulb. Before this I owned a 530i (E39) which gave me also 1 broken light bulb (damn those light bulbs) and a tear in a air hose. Before that I owned a Dodge Stratus and although I always loved that car it has had some serious problems.
I've also owned a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) for some time and that almost succeeded in ruining us because of the bills.

With my 1.98m Asian cars are out of the question so I don't have an opinion on those but I prefer the reliability of German cars over American ones.