Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0  (Read 14513 times)

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »
I don't know about low RPMS. My 07 Sentra 6 speed revs just under 3K at 120. I guess the CVT makes a huge difference? My mileage so far is not all that good and after browsing Fuely I see i am not alone. I have yet to break 8 L per 100KM even on long highway trips. Its not a pig but its far from great.

I do echo the comments about the comfy feel. Very quiet for a small car on the highway, reasonably soft ride and lots of room inside. I don't find the buttons small. While the interior is very balnd my car after 90,000 km still feels very well screwed together.

The 2.0l is SLOW. The shifter is video game like and there is absolutely no fun to be had in this car.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »
Sentra is the official car of Mexico.

could not care less....

He's right though - ever been to Mexico? You can't look anywhere without seeing one. Its the Mexican version of the checkered cab! One we took to a tourist attraction the guy even put in a rear seat DVD system so his customers could watch movies enroute to their destination!

The Sentra is built in Aguascalientes, Mexico.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:50 pm »

Haha, right forgot to put that part in there too - actually I believe the Canadian version at least has been built there since it was first introduced to the Canadian market back in 85. The US got it first in 82 but those ones were imports from Japan.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 09:24:27 am »

Haha, right forgot to put that part in there too - actually I believe the Canadian version at least has been built there since it was first introduced to the Canadian market back in 85. The US got it first in 82 but those ones were imports from Japan.

A French car adapted to a Japanese brand and built in Mexico.  The Sentra is a true World Car  :)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 09:30:44 am »
I think what is most surprising is how many Sentra owners are actually members of this website.  Who would have thought this vehicle would be so popular with the above average motor heads.  Not really much to say about the Sentra, I had one as a rental and it was okay.  It didn't really blow me away or offended me.  I can see why some would buy them prior to all the new vehicles coming out but now I think it's a lot like the Mitsu Lancer, they both need a serious redo to actually compete with the new products.

It's a car that flew under the radar 'till the price drop in 2009.  I did get a base CVT Sentra as a rental, and took it back before the road trip part of that stay.  I found the CVT droning horrendous, plus no cruise control before 2000 km on the road - no way.

The mid-grade "S" feels better than the base car (used by rental fleets), and the 6-speaker stereo is really terrific for a std system.  In 2008, there wasn't much competition, except for the rust-prone, too tight in the rear Mazda 3.  My wife did not fit in the windshield-forward Civic.

Plus, our main need was: 3-accross seating in the back (including two child seats), a stick, a low-enough shoulder belt in the back for my then 10 y.o., a compact-class car. In 2008, only two choices met all requirements: Sentra and Corolla.  The 2.0S and Corolla S were even matched in pricing, at 19k$ before neg and taxes.  Granted, there would be more choices today, but not that much.  The Sentra's rear bench offers 1400mm shoulder width, only 10mm less than an Altima.  That room is stil pretty hard to beat in the marketplace.

Other bonus with Sentras: really cheap insurance, as in 400$ a year full coverage, new-value for 4 years and work use clause.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:43:03 am by Blueprint »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 09:37:51 am »
I don't know about low RPMS. My 07 Sentra 6 speed revs just under 3K at 120. I guess the CVT makes a huge difference? My mileage so far is not all that good and after browsing Fuely I see i am not alone. I have yet to break 8 L per 100KM even on long highway trips. Its not a pig but its far from great.

I do echo the comments about the comfy feel. Very quiet for a small car on the highway, reasonably soft ride and lots of room inside. I don't find the buttons small. While the interior is very balnd my car after 90,000 km still feels very well screwed together.

The 2.0l is SLOW. The shifter is video game like and there is absolutely no fun to be had in this car.

3k @ 120 is about right.  Check your tire pressures - On Montreal-Ottawa runs around 120, I get a repeatable 7.7.  I tried to stay below 110 once, and got into the sixes.  Steady-sate 100km/h in 6th nets a 5.9 on the trip meter.  My NYC roundtrip was the longest journey in the Sentra yet, and it got a measured 6.9.  Around town, it's easy to get in the nines, but with all the idling and stop-and-going, it's to be expected.

I don't find it slow if you keep the revs in the right range.  It's faster than a Corolla, about par with a Civic.  When passing, I downshift 6-to-5 to "prepare", and then 5-to-3 to unleash the cams.  Works for me  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 10:15:21 am »
no cruise control before 2000 km on the road - no way.

explain please,  ???

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:29 am »

3k @ 120 is about right.  Check your tire pressures - On Montreal-Ottawa runs around 120, I get a repeatable 7.7.  I tried to stay below 110 once, and got into the sixes.  Steady-sate 100km/h in 6th nets a 5.9 on the trip meter.  My NYC roundtrip was the longest journey in the Sentra yet, and it got a measured 6.9.  Around town, it's easy to get in the nines, but with all the idling and stop-and-going, it's to be expected.

I don't find it slow if you keep the revs in the right range.  It's faster than a Corolla, about par with a Civic.  When passing, I downshift 6-to-5 to "prepare", and then 5-to-3 to unleash the cams.  Works for me  ;D

I had just had the Contii Winterforce snows installed. I set the tire pressure 2 psi over standard (it has been getting cold so I always add a little extra) Before I left I also changed the air filter. Like I said I have not broken 8 L/100. I'm sure if I was on 100 KM highways where speed is lower I might break 8 but frankly I expect more.

There really isn't a good reason to have 6 speeds and not make 6th a little longer to bring the revs down say 2700 or so. The mileage is no better than my 200HP GTI was. I'm reading about CVT revving 2200. That's a big difference. I don't like CVTs so thus us buying the stick but its a pretty poor shifter.

Its probably not much slower than comparable cars but a Civic revs more freely and shits way better so it feels faster.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 11:49:47 am »

He's right though - ever been to Mexico? You can't look anywhere without seeing one. Its the Mexican version of the checkered cab! One we took to a tourist attraction the guy even put in a rear seat DVD system so his customers could watch movies enroute to their destination!

I had quite the deja vu when taking a cab to the Cancun airport last year in what appeared to be my Mom's 1992 B13 Sentra!  Except that the car was a relatively new Nissan model - can't remember what Nissan called it for the Mexican market.  But it was the same B13 Sentra, or at least the same body. Exact same switchgear, seats, dimensions.  Though I'm not sure if the engine had been upgraded over the years.  Brought a smile to my face, thinking back to the old workhorse I learned to drive on.  And that era of Sentra has aged exceptionally well - not a lot of interior space, and I'm sure the crash tests results are terrible compared to today's Sentra, but in my mind it still looks pretty sharp even after 20 years...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:56 pm »
The engine and CVT are also assembled in Mexico.  It's very much like at Taco.  You get all the ingredients, throw them together and then roll it up. Presto; the official car of Mexico.  Even resembles a Taco.  :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »
no cruise control before 2000 km on the road - no way.

explain please,  ???

The base Sentras, the one found in rental car agencies, are base-model "2.0" and don't have cruise control, even with the optional pkg.  I was in Calgary for business and got what was left - a base Sentra with balding front tires, no cruise and a 2-speaker radio.  Before heading through the Rockies on the "fun" part of the trip, I switched rental cars and got a loaded Fusion SEL V-6 (moonroof, 2-zone HVAC, 12-speaker stereo upgrade, heated leather, ...) ... for an extra 2$ per day.  Put 2,700 km on that one, some of them on cruise  ;)  Got a 8.5 l/100km with the 240 hp Fusion, despite fun on moutain roads, go figure.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »

I had just had the Contii Winterforce snows installed. I set the tire pressure 2 psi over standard (it has been getting cold so I always add a little extra) Before I left I also changed the air filter. Like I said I have not broken 8 L/100. I'm sure if I was on 100 KM highways where speed is lower I might break 8 but frankly I expect more.

There really isn't a good reason to have 6 speeds and not make 6th a little longer to bring the revs down say 2700 or so. The mileage is no better than my 200HP GTI was. I'm reading about CVT revving 2200. That's a big difference. I don't like CVTs so thus us buying the stick but its a pretty poor shifter.

Its probably not much slower than comparable cars but a Civic revs more freely and shits way better so it feels faster.

It's not a Honda shifter, no argument here.  I agree that 6th should drop the revs more than that.  Stop and Go really kills fuel econ with this car, but do go up the gears in commuting - 50km/h is 5th gear, 60 km/h 6th gear - it adds up.  With the cold and the Blizzaks, plus traffic, I'm in the high 8s right now, but that in town.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »
As an idea of CVT economy - I did a long drive recently in a very hilly area - mostly highway after some stop-go. The car had three adults, I'm not short and one other occupant is not only tall, but wider than a school bus. I am using Winterforce winter tyres. Cruise control was set to 130kmh as the road was empty, it was a long drive, there'd been a funeral, we'd done that drive 4 times that week etc etc.

At a steady 130kmh it pulled 2500rpm, it never wavered off that speed (most cars over-speed on hills on cruise) and averaged 8.8l/100km.

Just as an idea - once did that journey not in any hurry. 100-110kmh all the way, no aircon on summer tyres - 7.2l/100km. (I had it as low as 6.9 at one point).

Not bad for the power available and interior space.

The 2.0 I had as rentals were never as impressive, but I mostly put that down to them being rental cars.

CVTs have a special way to drive them so they don't drone and over-rev, get used to it and you can drive most of the time basically at idle. It's just the same as when I had to learn how to drive to best use my mazda 5's auto, which in itself was very different to the standards I used to own (Civic, Accord - euro models - both of them also very different!). I wouldn't say all CVTs are bad, I would say the calibration in some cars is terrible though - had a Dodge Caliber that was appalling and also a Mitsu Lancer (strange - as I think they also use the JATCO box?!)

richink

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:54 am »
I think Peter hit the nail on the head with this comment "It is one of the most pleasantly inoffensive and user-friendly devices I’ve driven. "

I can say this about the Sentra and the Altima I drove this year, both with the Xtronic CVT. Both cars were comfy, well behaved and economical beasties that did the job exceedingly well.

My colleague utterly adores her 370z convertible.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 10:19:05 pm »
i had an 84 Nissan Sentra XE Coupe about 20 years ago...i loved that little car...it ran great, up until it was stolen and driven into a telephone pole...same thing happened to my 81 Toyota Celica about 3 years later. :(
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 02:20:46 am »
I love Tacos!!!  :rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 07:25:35 am »
At a steady 130kmh it pulled 2500rpm, it never wavered off that speed (most cars over-speed on hills on cruise) and averaged 8.8l/100km.

That doesn't sound all that impressive to me. Our 328iX does about the same with the cruise set in the mid/high 120's  ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:04 am »
I love Tacos!!!  :rofl2:

Mmmmm.... tacos.....

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:26 am »
I've never really looked at the Sentra as a remarkable car. Until reading this my only experience was as a passenger in my best friend's wife's old sentra which she drove so roughly that I didn't sleep a wink on the 2.5 hour road trip. But from this article I've really found a unique appreciation for this auto. With loads of interior space, a quiet and comfortable ride, it really does have invisible appeal that I'd never have tuned into otherwise. Thanks Peter.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:08 am »

That doesn't sound all that impressive to me. Our 328iX does about the same with the cruise set in the mid/high 120's  ???

You have to realise where I live is incredibly hilly - as an example to maintain 110kmh on some of the hills on the highway my Mazda 5 with only one occupant will have to change down to 3rd. The run in question was completed on winter tyres, aircon on, three occupants (all adults) and after a section of heavy city driving. The difference in fuel consumption between 120 and 130 is quite significant in most cars.