Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5  (Read 12460 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:04:46 am »

Replacing the Tribute, the all-new 2013 Mazda CX-5 will offer excellent fuel economy and a roomy cabin, but no V6.

Read More...

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:11:24 am »
Hmmm... I don't know about this one. It looks dated already, sort of like a mildly updated Santa Fe. The power output is on the low side and despite what the author states, those performance numbers aren't exactly quick. While he claims it is roomy, there is nothing particularly compelling about the interior design. In short, it just seems blah. I do not like its chances of success.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:58 am »
Cargo volume numbers - thank you!

966L behind 2nd row seats I believe is above average for a vehicle of this size/class.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:36:12 am »
i don't think it looks that bad...the first thing i thought of when i saw it was BMW X1...while certainly not as powerful as an X1, it also doesn't have that stupid cup holder attachment that ruins the $40k+ BMW.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:37:35 am »
Cargo volume numbers - thank you!

966L behind 2nd row seats I believe is above average for a vehicle of this size/class.
that is a decent amount of space...for comparison, my ET is 689...however, both are very similar when the back seat is folded...1852 for the CX-5 and 1848 for my ET...all in all though, i think this looks to be a decent vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:42:21 am »
Interesting comments about the styling, 5 years or so ago Mazda had an exciting showroom but lately  :P

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:56:25 am »
The fuel economy is impressive for a vehicle with this capactiy and room.  Depending how it's priced it will do well. I do agree styling is bland.  The interior looks like it came from a 1990's BMW. Not sure if that's good or bad?

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:41 am »
I agree on the styling.  It looks pretty much like everything else in this segment except for the Kia, which really stands out.  I see Mazda applied that curve and crease thing on the side although not as bad as the Mazda5.  It looks as if someone took a giant ice cream scoop to the sides.  The goughes end in the middle of the front doors.  The interior is a big improvement over the Tribute, but I agree it looks rather dated.

Adding to the cargo area list, the VW Golf wagon has 930 litres behind the back seat and 1,890 behind the front seats folded flat.  I know it's not a CUV, but it shows how well a compact wagon compares with the CUV segment, which is touted for cargo capacity.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 09:52:40 am »
The lack of an AWD/six-speed manual combination is hugely disappointing to me. Otherwise, this could have been a credible replacement for our 6 wagon, especially if a diesel is forthcoming.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:11 am »
i don't think it looks that bad...the first thing i thought of when i saw it was BMW X1...while certainly not as powerful as an X1, it also doesn't have that stupid cup holder attachment that ruins the $40k+ BMW.

My initial thought too. Looks like the BMW X1 from the front. But falls way short in every other way. However, if priced right, it will sell well despite its disappointing performace. $22-25K?

The BMW cup holder works VERY well for me, it is sturdy and holds my tall thermos without any issues. The only problem is when there is someone in the passenger seat which so far happened exactly 3 times and I didn't need to use it anyway.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:55 am »
Hmmm... I don't know about this one. It looks dated already, sort of like a mildly updated Santa Fe. The power output is on the low side and despite what the author states, those performance numbers aren't exactly quick. While he claims it is roomy, there is nothing particularly compelling about the interior design. In short, it just seems blah. I do not like its chances of success.

I think the idea is that they are erring on the side of fuel economy rather than power. I like that aspect. Though I would wait for a diesel.

Agree that the interior is not very compelling, at least in the photos. Looks like there is lots of space in the rear though.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:41 am »
I think the idea is that they are erring on the side of fuel economy rather than power. I like that aspect. Though I would wait for a diesel.

Libraman, I completely agree.  It's not always about being the fastest in the class. The review mentions it is a fast as the current CR-V, not the new one.  Well Honda seemed to sell enough CR-V's without the V6.  So power shouldn't be the major issue, for this segment.  More torque will come with the upcoming diesel, which hopefully would allow it to tow at least 2500lbs. 

I also like Mazda's approach to the interior, having 3 fabric choices. Not very common in this segment, tired of looking in the cars, and seeing all black.  I see some two-tone in the pics, which breaks things up nicely.

I would rather spend $25k on a vehicle with this kind of conservative styling, with the option of diesel, manual, and AWD, may not available together, but for the vast majority, with good fuel economy, rather than spending more money for a V6, and more money for gas.

Slowly, but surely, car manufacturers are starting to put fuel economy as a major priority, especially Ford. I have a feeling the HP & torque wars with the truck commercials will start changing to fuel economy wars, the V6 in the Ford F150 is selling more than the V8! 

Nice to Mazda doing something slightly different!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
I don't find the styling to be outdated, a little dull perhaps but I prefer it to all but the new Sportage  (and maybe the new Escape)  which looks fantastic. 

It's impressive that the CX-5 has more cargo space than its bigger brother, the CX-7.  I can only assume that model is due for the chopping block,  or at least a significant upgrade. 

IMO, Mazda would be silly to not offer the diesel here.  They don't have the reliability reputation to compete with Honda and Toyota.  They don't have the features per dollar of the Kia/Hyundai pair.  The new Escape will presumably have comparable handling and fuel economy (along with more power in the 1.6L turbo) to go with its larger dealer network.  Mazda needs to put something different into the market (like a manual diesel AWD!) that differentiates it from the rest.  Zoom-zoom handling only goes so far.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 12:00:21 pm »
Be thankful it doesn't have the big stupid grin on the front!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 12:02:13 pm »
The BMW cup holder works VERY well for me, it is sturdy and holds my tall thermos without any issues. The only problem is when there is someone in the passenger seat which so far happened exactly 3 times and I didn't need to use it anyway.
i assume you mean for your 3 series...the 3 series has the "pop out" holders that come out of the dash (leaving hot cups of coffee dangling over passenger legs)...while that isn't an issue for yourself (seeing as you seem to drive alone most of the time), i car pool with my wife every day, so that isn't going to cut it (plus, they just seem like such an afterthought)...my point was more about the "clip in" extra cup holder the X1 uses (and i think used in the Z4 as well)...there is only one cup holder in the console, so the 2nd one is that clip on style that honestly, ruins it for me, especially considering the cost of the vehicle...how you can design such a nice looking and capable vehicle, then crap the bed with the cup holder is mindboggling.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »
I don't mind the styling at all. Thank goodness Mazda didn't put another smiley face on this. I like the potential of good fuel economy (but await real world numbers). I won't be buying one as there's no 6 speed manual in the AWD. Zoom zoom? Not so much.

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »
is it confirm that there will be NO 6-speed manual with AWD???

The CX-5 is my only hope to replace my 2002 5-speed CRV!!!

Don't tell me Mazda is not smart enough to spend that much engineering resource on the SkyActiv development and marketing on the 6 speed manual and only put in on the base FWD model ...... This is INSANE!!!!!

Actually I was doing some research yesterday and Subaru Outback is the ONLY wagon/CUV that offers AWD and 6-speed manual .....

For the folks that want a sedan, there is Legacy.  Forester only has 5-speed manual, not a 6 speed  .....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 12:47:36 pm »
^^The 5 speed is fine in our Forester.  I have to be going about 115km/h or so before the tach goes over 3000rpm.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 12:48:42 pm »
Too bad about that shnoz.  :o

Mustachio

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »
The styling for the snout on that thing appears to have been inspired by my Chocolate Lab, Hershey. And he's not nearly as atheletic or sporty-looking as I've come to expect from Mazda, as the 6-year old CX-7 is a much better looking CUV. It almost looks like a clone of the retired Protege5. Fortunately the rear view of the CX-5 is much better.

There's nothing that truly stands out about this CUV. They really need to provide the diesel option here, if for no other reason than to use it as a marketing tool to differentiate the CX-5 from the hordes of other "Me Too" CUV's on the market. With 155 HP, that is going to run out of steam quick with a full load of passengers, just like the 07 Mazda5 I'm currently driving that puts out very similar performance numbers from it's 2.3L engine. Our other vehicle, a 2011 Toyota RAV4 with the V6 ( which is worthy of noting as being a direct competitor to the CX-5), doesn't suffer from that problem.

It's a shame. I usually look forward to seeing what's on Mazda's dealer lots. Seems they're on a downhill slide as of late with the new 5 and now this.