Author Topic: Commuting a distance  (Read 19381 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Commuting a distance
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 05:31:35 pm »
I suppose it depends on the commute.  If I had 30 minutes in bumper-to-bumper, that would suck.

I have 30 minutes with zero traffic along a scenic route beside a lake.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:45 pm »
I suppose it depends on the commute.  If I had 30 minutes in bumper-to-bumper, that would suck.

I have 30 minutes with zero traffic along a scenic route beside a lake.

HA....yeah, then I dont think anyone would mind an exciting drive like that....unfortunately I dont think very many have the pleasure of that.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 06:27:11 pm »
40 minutes to Richmond Hill today on the 407 was a breeze. Nice and smooth with lots of nice cars to see and zero stress. The best part is minimal truck traffic.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Commuting a distance
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
40 minutes to Richmond Hill today on the 407 was a breeze. Nice and smooth with lots of nice cars to see and zero stress. The best part is minimal truck traffic.
The only trucks that travel the 407 are corporation trucks. The owner trucks are 401 bound.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »
Yes, the best cars are seen between Wopbridge around Pine Vally Drive and Warden.  Probably down at the Oakville end as well but I never use the 407 down there.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »

Paying extra to drive?  No thanks...I already pay for that with taxes, license, stickers, etc..

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 06:45:55 pm »

Paying extra to drive?  No thanks...I already pay for that with taxes, license, stickers, etc..

I just think of it as a user fee....and as a business expense a deduction  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »

I just think of it as a user fee....and as a business expense a deduction  :)

Another reason to avoid living out that way IMO...

Northernridge

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 06:52:07 pm »
There's something to be said for living close to work. I just love hopping on that longboard first thing.

I feel the exact opposite.  As a lover of cars and driving cars, it would suck to live so close to work.  I enjoy my 30-40 minute commute before and after work immensely.

I agree, I enjoy my drive and since I feel that my work is intense, the ride ride home gives me a chance to wind down.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
You're lucky then.  My commute in downtown Edmonton was 45 minutes of inching along, bumper to bumper and door handle to door handle.  And the last time I did that was in 2000, and I can't imagine it's better today since we haven't built one km of new road into the core since then.

My missus commutes into the city, but she's against rush for most of it as she works in a residential area.  No chance for entertaining driving (she could care less) but means a quick and fairly easy drive.

Northernridge

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »
Well, I do complain about Winnipeg but one of our benefits is a relatively easy commute. I work just off Portage and Main and yet my drive into downtown from outside the city is actually pretty good.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 12:18:00 am »
   Obviously there is more to it than gas and other costs of driving. Pouring money into car operation and associated insurance and maintenance...forget using the 407...highway charges, deductable or no. More visits to garages and dealerships hmmm. Beyond all of this, extra money is lost for investment for your future in such things as RSPs with the associated tax saving. Interest rates are low now but that can change and over time a lot can be lost.
   If a consequence is not being able to max out RSP and tax free saving accounts, then over time this can be a meaningfull consideration and needs to be added in to the equation. I think even now a 5% interest rate should be used in calcs. Company pension plans are ephemeral and probably not defined benefit and unless backed by the government, not reliable.
   The cost of that bigger, cheaper house could be a lot. Driving longer distance in traffic has a health risk also; just from breathing in the fumes. Long term, gas prices are not going to be spiralling in your favour either. When I started driving here an Imp Gallon of gas was about 27 cents.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:20 am »

:thumbup:

I refused for years to take the 407 after a brutal experience... it's more than a user fee.  it's bullsh*t
it's one thing to charge for a highway, it's another to hold your plate renewal hostage if you have outstanding bills. 

Back in college i used to take the 407 on my drives to and from school (Niagara to North Bay)
once i didn't get a bill.   (sweet right?!!!)   

Well 6 months later, or something like that, a bill finally made it's way to my parent's home.
a drive with $8 in tolls turned into a $80 bill.  Late fees, "finders fees" and other crap... 
they had a letter stating they had difficulty figuring out where to send the bill (huh?) 
I called the 1-800 for 5 days straight and was on hold every day for 30 minutes before I hung up each time.   This of course was not too long before needing to renew my plate stickers....  and thanks to this "bill" i couldn't take new plate stickers until I paid the 407...   

I refused to take the highway for almost a decade.... but i do now, it's just so much better than dealing with the 401.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »
   I don't know how it works now but the cameras used to read your license plate. If that is the case I have seen plates that would be difficult to read from 10 feet away...paint missing and corroded...misted blue covers and one wonders if this kind of thing is used to avoid fees. Windshield devices were also available.
   You want to pay fees...go ahead. Over time the lost money and investment will take a hidden 'toll' on your personal treasure.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:58 pm »
You want to pay fees...go ahead. Over time the lost money and investment will take a hidden 'toll' on your personal treasure.

So you don't have cable TV then? Or pay fees for anything?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »
   I don't know how it works now but the cameras used to read your license plate. If that is the case I have seen plates that would be difficult to read from 10 feet away...paint missing and corroded...misted blue covers and one wonders if this kind of thing is used to avoid fees. Windshield devices were also available.

So you would rather have a crushing mortgage and live close to work or have a toll that you drive a little further and at the end of the year is tax deductible??

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

So you would rather have a crushing mortgage and live close to work or have a toll that you drive a little further and at the end of the year is tax deductible??

Most people don't understand that. I live where it is best for my family, not work.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »
Using a transponder is cheaper if you make more than a couple of trips a month.  I have one just for my occasional trips to Richmond Hill to see my ex colleagues...a trip which could be done via 401 and 404 to put me at exactly the same place but taking at least 40 minutes longer and 10 times as much stress.

And Rupert, it is a good road. Not too crowded, not much speed enforcement, very well maintained.    Maybe they should re-engineer the 401 and the QEW to be the same way complete with tolls to pay for the upkeep the way the Spanish and French do.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 01:13:45 pm »

Most people don't understand that. I live where it is best for my family, not work.

Yeah, I dont get why you would strain yourself financially or live in crappier conditions for work when you can just as easily drive further. We bought our house for the location its in, distance to work wasnt really a factor....actually we could have saved a lot of money moving closer to work and into Edmonton.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:41 pm »

The right way is to each have a good job ( to afford the mortgage and nice cars) with some flexibility in the hours of work ( to avoid the worst of rush hours) and the big one...don't breed.

I am/was happy to have both a bigger mortgage not "crushing" to live reasonably close to work and to pay road tolls where warranted.  But...I do like that 20-30 minute drive to get the mind in gear.