Author Topic: Commuting a distance  (Read 19372 times)

Huggyd

Commuting a distance
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »
Hello all.
So here is the deal, I am looking for a little insight into what it is like commuting a distance of about 60km (38miles) to work 5days a week and that’s 60km one way.  Right now I’m doing about 28km (17miles) that is no big deal, but I’m thinking of moving and that would increase the drive to over double. I drive a 2008 Ford Ranger V6 4.0L with about 95,000.km on it. The 60km drive would only take about 45min to do in good weather.  As for car pools I can’t see that working out as I can end up working a lot of over time.  I am having a hard time trying to estimate a cost of that drive (gas, miles on the truck, oil changes, tires, etc) Right now I have good job and I don’t see that changing any time soon, I make about $31.00 a hour + benefits so to change jobs is not options.  Any insight from people who do this drive to work would be a help or anyone with insight on the math would be a help as well. (I live just outside Hamilton, ont : Work in Hamilton : Thinking of moving to the South end of Guelph) ???
Thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Commuting a distance
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Well we'd need to know how much it's costing you in fuel per week for your current commute to be able to help you figure this out....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:06 pm »
If it's double, I would imagine fuel costs would roughly double. Oil changes etc. would become roughly twice as frequent. So take your rough monthly fuel/maintenance/etc. costs, double it, and you should be in the right ballpark...

Variance would exist for type of driving and all kinds of other things, but it should be a good rough guess.

Offline TurfIt

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »
The 60km drive would only take about 45min to do in good weather. 
Got a big budget for speeding tickets?

I did 42 km from south Guelph to north Burlington daily for 6 years. Took 40-45 mins cruising along with the traffic flow @95-100 on the 5 lane section of HWY6. Those who drove faster were always pulled over in the many speed traps that are always along that route. With the heavy traffic and multitude of stop lights, expect no better than 60km/h average.

Also, count on 5-10 mins getting past the hwy 5&6 intersection in the morning and 10-15 getting past the one lane bottleneck in Morriston in the evening.

And, any trouble on 401, backs up into Aberfoyle/Morriston. Any trouble on 403, backs up into Waterdown. Add another 10-60 mins atleast once a week...

Huggyd

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:33:57 pm »
I did find this web site:
www2.nrcan.gc.ca/eneene/sources/pripri/calculator_form_e.cfm
does the gas math for you mind you doesn't factor in the ever changing price of gas, but It gives one a rough idea.
TurfIt sounds like your not a fan of the drive?
I have driven it a number of time and yeah your right during the rush there are a lot of bottle necks and it will add time to the drive but at the same time there are a number of side roads that may come in handy like Brock Rd, Victoria Rd, mind you I have not used them a whole lot so not sure how busy they get of if they are good to use in the winter. Mind if I ask what you drove for that commute and how the car was? Did it last the 6 years? and what you are over all thinking is as to weather or not its a worth while commute?  I know its a personal thing but I'm looking for any insight / info to make a wise choice, doesn't madder if its your own personal feelings or numbers lets hear it all.

Thanks for the insight.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »
I did a longer commute for a lot longer than 6 years and here were the benefits that have to factor in:
a.)raised a family in a terrific community rich in friends & resources (with mortgage paid off by wife's birthday at 36) and had a pool & dog.
b.)enjoyed driving with seasonal changes and challenges (did have one storm night at a Holiday Inn )(some of this car pooling
which meant no overtime but you and workmates get used to it)
c.)put more money into travel which is our passion--eventually worked Singapore & Saudi Arabia for ten years.
d.)my kids not moved around before going off to University--both still have strong connections
e.)sense of home for me is where neighbours have to make it work, it is an attitude thing--same for here in Southampton
where retirement commuting is for those rich urban experiences/restaurants we miss once in a while.  Small town Ontario is where it's at.

Huggyd

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »
Has anyone done the math on getting a 2nd car for the daily drive?  A friend down the road (I should talk to him about this) he got a 2nd car for the drive to work a small Honda Civic but he told me once that all thing said and done there isn't to much to save, its just keeping the KM down on his truck. Mind you he has a good job and his wife is a nurse so money wise they are doing good.
I think for me the facts are.
-Right now: Daily drive is 28km in a V6 4L Ford Ranger with 96,000km on it
-New Drive: 65km with some bottle necks
-The G-Friend is a sub-teacher right now for the Upper Grand School Board (thus the south end Guelph move)
-Housing costs seem to be about the same as hamilton so it's not like I would be getting a deal on a house.
-No kids are in the picture.
Trying to double the cost that it is right now and calling that the figure may work out but still trying to break it down. I'm not calling it an issue really just wanted to see what I'm in for and if other options are better like a 2nd car??? + I really don't want to be driving into work and working for free for the half the day every day to make up for the drive. ???

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:43:40 am »
We did this but it was so long ago that the numbers would not be relevant any more.

Should we live in downtown TO, pay more for a house and have one car with a 12 Km commute against the traffic  OR live in Newmarket with a much bigger and much cheaper house  but have to commute to mid town TO ( Don Mills and Eglinton to be precise, 404 and 16th later) using two cars.  We costed this on the basis of a new basic Civic every 2 years ( Cars used to rust in those days), gas and of course the commuting time ( DVP ended at the 401 then)     We ended up living in Cabbagetown for 29 years.

IF I had to make the same decision today I'd definitely live close to work, ideally within walking distance even at the sacrifice of a bigger house and a big yard.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:37 am »
Having owned a Ranger many years ago with that 4.0L, i know they are a pig on gas, so you'd be filling up every 3-4 days with that commute.  At least though, there's lots of stations along Hwy 6 that are usually a couple pennies less than in town...

I live in south end of Guelph, and if i'm driving to Hamilton/Burlington I take a back road route (Downey Rd (becomes 35) south down to Hwy 97 and left to Hwy 6.)  You come out on the 4 lane section of 6 just south of Freelton i think (and avoid that horrid Morriston bottleneck) which moves along well (as said, normally flows 90-100km's) and yes, there's always OPP lurking along there somewhere...
This backroad route is probably a few extra km's, - i have never measured the mileage difference, but not much traffic and no traffic lights.  You can haul ass along that 35 stretch, but Hwy 97 is 70km/h and cops also like to hide out along there.

An added bonus of taking that Hwy 97 route is you can stop in at Dee's General Store and buy the best butter tarts on the planet. The Skor ones are  :lick: :fall:  They have a sign out front with how many they have sold - I think they are up to about 1,350,000 or so... there's a reason... Trust me.  6 for $10 bucks.  Buy them. 

Huggyd

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
We did this but it was so long ago that the numbers would not be relevant any more.

Should we live in downtown TO, pay more for a house and have one car with a 12 Km commute against the traffic  OR live in Newmarket with a much bigger and much cheaper house  but have to commute to mid town TO ( Don Mills and Eglinton to be precise, 404 and 16th later) using two cars.  We costed this on the basis of a new basic Civic every 2 years ( Cars used to rust in those days), gas and of course the commuting time ( DVP ended at the 401 then)     We ended up living in Cabbagetown for 29 years.

IF I had to make the same decision today I'd definitely live close to work, ideally within walking distance even at the sacrifice of a bigger house and a big yard.

Thanks for the insight, I do tend to agree with you, the hard part is she is with the Upper Grand  School board witch covers a big area and not knowing if she is going to get called to cover some classes at Mt.Forest or Shelburne is sort of leaving us in a pickle and adding to the Frustration for me so I am trying to do the math on the numbers I know and see if there is some way to not leave us house poor.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »
Not wanting to read this twice  ;D   ..are you asking if it's worthwhile to purchase a second vehicle to the Ranger.  In other words, keep the Ranger, but buy a commuter beater for the trip to Hamilton.  Assuming GF has own vehicle.

Economically, buying a commuter car in addition to the ranger is a big expense.  On the other hand, you will have a back up when one car breaks down.  If you're intent on getting a commuter beater then you'd be better off selling the Ranger and getting something very reliable depending on how easy it is to tell work you're not coming in that day.

Huggyd

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:53:48 am »
Not wanting to read this twice  ;D   ..are you asking if it's worthwhile to purchase a second vehicle to the Ranger.  In other words, keep the Ranger, but buy a commuter beater for the trip to Hamilton.  Assuming GF has own vehicle.

Economically, buying a commuter car in addition to the ranger is a big expense.  On the other hand, you will have a back up when one car breaks down.  If you're intent on getting a commuter beater then you'd be better off selling the Ranger and getting something very reliable depending on how easy it is to tell work you're not coming in that day.

I guess, that would be one thing I'm asking, if it would be worth while to buy a 2nd vehicle with the Ranger and yes the GF has a Pontiac G5, that seem to be good on gas.  Now all and all if she has less of a drive then me then it would be to reason that she should drive the truck to work and I would take the car but still, we would be adding up the km on the vehicles whole sale.....
Back to the math.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 05:30:38 am »
buy 2 Prius and save on gas  ;D

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 09:25:00 am »
Not sure why you are thinking of buying a second car?  I'm assuming that means you'd then have 3 vehicles?

I think it's safe to say that you like your Ranger and would rather not give it up.  So,, how much is it worth to you to keep it and do the new commute?  I figure it would be about $190/ month (this is just for added fuel expense per month).

The math:

Your new commute would be about 2,400 km / month (120 per day x 5 days x 4).
I'm gonna be generous and say the Ranger will return 14L/100 on that commute.  So, 336L per month x $1.30 per = ~ $440 per month
Your current commute is about half that, so added expense is about $220 / mo

Lets say you trade the Ranger and buy a nice boring appliance like a Corolla/Civic/ whatever. 
That should pretty easily get you 8L/100, so 192L per month x $1.30 per = ~ $250 per month
So with a boring (but cheap & reliable!) appliance, your added exp is roughly $30 per month.

Is it worth the extra $190/ mo to keep the Ranger?

I wouldn't be worried about the mileage itself & maintenance costs, etc.. you'd be putting on the vehicle - you'd have to deal with that no matter what you drive.

OR..... you take the G5 and your GF takes the stRanger.   ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
..this Ranger for G/F?????.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline See3PeeO

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »
Did Guelph to Mississauga for 5 years, 150 kms round trip.  I had flex hours, worked from home on Fridays and had no kids at the time.  Bought two nice new cars during that period, an Acura TL Type S followed by a BMW X3.  The new cars were my sanity for the crappy commute, brutal during the winter and any day with an accident on the 401.  The worst was when you got on the 401 eastbound at  hwy 6 or Guelph line and then hit dead stop traffic where you could just sit for an hour or two crawling along to the next exit in Milton.  Seems like every year that drive gets worse and worse as communities west of Mississauga expand and populations grow.  Despite having a nice estate home backing onto Guelph Lake Conservation area that we loved, we got sick of the driving and moved closer to the city.  I no longer work in Mississauga and my commute is less than 15 minutes.  I fill up my car once a month.  I never listen to traffic reports and I figure I have gotten back about 300 hours a year that are no longer spent commuting.  That is a crazy amount of time and my annual fuel bill has dropped by thousands (plus thousands more in vehicle wear and depreciation).  I miss the huge property but live in a great neighborhood with more young families.

I wouldn't move back unless I was retired.

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 04:03:29 pm »
I like the US fuel economy site better than the Canadian one.  You can compare vehicles and on the compare screen at the top left you can "Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles".  Switch the measurement from Gallons / 100 Miles to Liters / 100 KM and you are good to go.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »
I like the US fuel economy site better than the Canadian one.  You can compare vehicles and on the compare screen at the top left you can "Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles".  Switch the measurement from Gallons / 100 Miles to Liters / 100 KM and you are good to go.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

This is a great site, I use it all the time. One question though, is it possible to create your own 'miles travelled annually' on this site? The annual fuel cost is a very revealing number - choosing a different engine size in the same make/model of car could be the difference of $500+/year, a significant number if commuting cost is a concern.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:37:38 pm »
yes you can, and change price of gas, % city and highway

Huggyd

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
Good site, thanks for sharing.... I guess, I have some work to do........