Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 811687 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: TV Series
« Reply #4660 on: March 07, 2024, 08:00:48 pm »
The Gentlemen - Netflix.  Downton Abbey meets Snatch. Facking brilliant.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: March 08, 2024, 02:20:04 pm »
LOL...we can't even watch TV anymore.  During the week, the dog sleeps all day while I work.  Then after 4:30...it's PLAY TIME! BARK BARK BARK! CHASE ME!! BARK!! HERE!  PULL THE SHARK!! GROWLLLLL!!! GRRRR!!! RUN!!!! Then we have supper and I take her for an hour long walk and my wife and son watch Task Master...and then it's too late to start anything we want to watch...

I suppose this could also fall under things that irritate me.  But hey, I can walk 3 miles now and I don't die!  Unless it's uphill...went over the dike the other day...why TF is it so steep!!  I'm gonna die!! (and then I fell on ice - on the facking SIDE of the "hill" - WTF! Water runs down! How is there a patch of ice on the side of the dike!!?) Fack I can only walk on prairies I guess.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4662 on: March 08, 2024, 02:27:33 pm »

Just saw the trailer last night, we both were like 'What the hell?'. Will have to check it out now.

See it's a Guy Ritchie production, that's a good omen too

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4663 on: March 08, 2024, 02:34:47 pm »

Just saw the trailer last night, we both were like 'What the hell?'. Will have to check it out now.

See it's a Guy Ritchie production, that's a good omen too

Yeah, looks interesting.  Will likely start that soon as I finish binging Formula1 Drive To Survive.  Really enjoying that!  Recently upgraded to HDR, so need to make it worthwhile.   ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4664 on: March 08, 2024, 02:50:07 pm »
I watched it back when it came out.  What I would call a stereotypical 'Guy Ritchie' movie, if that means anything to you. 

It's funny, because not all Guy Ritchie movies are 'Guy Ritchie' movies.  Fans of his will know what I mean. 

Unlike, say, Wes Anderson, whose movies all have his signature style.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: March 08, 2024, 03:12:46 pm »
I watched it back when it came out.  What I would call a stereotypical 'Guy Ritchie' movie, if that means anything to you. 

It's funny, because not all Guy Ritchie movies are 'Guy Ritchie' movies.  Fans of his will know what I mean. 

Doesn't sound amazing...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/the-gentlemen-review-guy-ritchies-netflix-series-fails-in-every-way
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4666 on: March 08, 2024, 07:44:34 pm »
Recently upgraded to HDR, so need to make it worthwhile.   ;D

Your TV or service?

If the latter, many have dropped HDR and/or 4K unless you pay for the top tier plan. Fackers.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4667 on: March 09, 2024, 09:39:19 am »
Recently upgraded to HDR, so need to make it worthwhile.   ;D

Your TV or service?

If the latter, many have dropped HDR and/or 4K unless you pay for the top tier plan. Fackers.

Both TV and Netflix service.  There is a premium charge, which sucks for sure, but so far I'm enjoying the upgrade.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Not a big tv watcher in the warmer months.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4668 on: March 13, 2024, 01:09:09 pm »
Just finished watch True Detective: Night Country. What a train wreck and a complete waste of my time. I was 3 episodes in when I came to conclusion that there was no hope for this series. Had it been 10 episodes I would have quit but with just 3 left to go I persevered hoping that by some chance it would get better.

Plot / story line was just stupid. That is if you could follow it or figure out where it was going. Characters and acting was terrible. The way every character dealt or reacted to the situation they were in was crazy and over top. Special effects were a joke.

We were looking forward to this series as previous seasons have been pretty good. This season was a disaster.

If you have not started it please take might advice and don't.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4669 on: March 13, 2024, 01:15:01 pm »
Just finished watch True Detective: Night Country. What a train wreck and a complete waste of my time. I was 3 episodes in when I came to conclusion that there was no hope for this series. Had it been 10 episodes I would have quit but with just 3 left to go I persevered hoping that by some chance it would get better.

Plot / story line was just stupid. That is if you could follow it or figure out where it was going. Characters and acting was terrible. The way every character dealt or reacted to the situation they were in was crazy and over top. Special effects were a joke.

We were looking forward to this series as previous seasons have been pretty good. This season was a disaster.

Eh, it wasn't that bad IMO. I've seen much worse.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #4670 on: March 13, 2024, 01:43:42 pm »

Yeah, it was a bit odd, but not completely awful. Thankfully it was only 6 episodes though  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4671 on: March 13, 2024, 02:09:05 pm »

Yeah, it was a bit odd, but not completely awful. Thankfully it was only 6 episodes though  :rofl2:

Funnily enough, I read the above comments as confirming the recommendation which preceded them:

;D

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4672 on: March 13, 2024, 04:46:14 pm »

Funnily enough, I read the above comments as confirming the recommendation which preceded them:

;D

:laugh: Ha ha.... Yeah "Not Completely Awful" is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a show.

I have watch some shows that were really bad but still fun to watch because they are campy and interesting in a train wreck kind of way. But this one just drained the life right out of us. It was painful to watch and the only redeeming feature was that it only had 6 episodes. When we started the 6th episode we literally said that we just want to get this over with.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4673 on: March 13, 2024, 07:33:49 pm »
Watching Ginnie and Georgia on Netflix.  Mixed reviews....my wife is "meh" but I kind of like it.  :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #4674 on: March 13, 2024, 08:39:07 pm »
Started on The Regime on HBO, with Kate Winslet, a little different, not sold yet

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4675 on: March 14, 2024, 09:59:24 am »
Started on The Regime on HBO, with Kate Winslet, a little different, not sold yet

I didn't like it and quit but my wife persevered. She said it got better and she's hooked now.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: March 18, 2024, 11:13:04 am »

Doesn't sound amazing...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/the-gentlemen-review-guy-ritchies-netflix-series-fails-in-every-way

Never trust a critic.  They all drive Lambos and I drive a 1987 LADA...I'd get in a Malibu and think WOW!  This is awesome!!  Critics come with a bag of salt.

We watched it, it was good.  It'll be hard to find something else that we like...again.  Lots of false starts and yawns lately.  But I'll agree to disagree with the critics on this one.  They'[re just wrong.

Watching Ginnie and Georgia on Netflix.  Mixed reviews....my wife is "meh" but I kind of like it.  :-\

Shot in Canada too!  I liked it...was not disappointing.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4677 on: March 18, 2024, 11:20:31 am »

Doesn't sound amazing...

Never trust a critic.  They all drive Lambos and I drive a 1987 LADA...I'd get in a Malibu and think WOW!  This is awesome!!  Critics come with a bag of salt.

We watched it, it was good.  It'll be hard to find something else that we like...again.  Lots of false starts and yawns lately.  But I'll agree to disagree with the critics on this one.  They'[re just wrong.

Professional Critics don't mean jack.  There are so many movies that are rated rotten by the 'professionals' that I've loved.   And plenty of highly rated 'critic' movies that were yawnfests. 

I tend to go by the Audience Rating on Rotten Tomatoes if I want to get a good idea of whether a movie is worth watching or not.  Regular Joes like myself, not some quacked up artsy 'critic' who makes a living cutting down creators.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: March 18, 2024, 12:20:55 pm »

A bit unclear but it sounds like you're mixing up the TV show and the movie.

The Gentlemen is a 2019 movie directed by Guy Ritchie.

The Gentlement is also a 2024 Netflix series created by Guy Ritchie.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: March 18, 2024, 12:23:18 pm »

Doesn't sound amazing...

Professional Critics don't mean jack.  There are so many movies that are rated rotten by the 'professionals' that I've loved.   And plenty of highly rated 'critic' movies that were yawnfests. 

I tend to go by the Audience Rating on Rotten Tomatoes if I want to get a good idea of whether a movie is worth watching or not.  Regular Joes like myself, not some quacked up artsy 'critic' who makes a living cutting down creators.

I think people need to be better at distinguishing quality from entertainment. A movie can be bad and still be entertaining. Or it can be excellent and not be entertaining.

Personally I find my own tastes line up more closely with the critic rating than the audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. YMMV.