Author Topic: Black Book vs Offered Trade Value  (Read 13912 times)

AP

Black Book vs Offered Trade Value
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »
[deleted at request of poster]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:54:44 pm by ALin »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Black Book vs Offered Trade Value
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »
do you have a lot of lub  :rofl:
With the discounts that have been out there on truck I think you be luck to get in high teens
I got 16 gs off my truck in Aug, and I think my son got 12 gs  off a ford

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »
Could it really be so far off?

possibly.

last time i looked, my jetta was worth 7k in great condition(according to blackbook).  4-5 in so so condition.  they sell privately for right around 7 or under, so blackbook IS optimistic..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »
Wow I'll buy your truck :)

If I can sell mine....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »
Never pretty when selling a 1 year old vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »
Is the high trade value realistic to expect?  Thoughts?

When "trading in" the CBB "values" are very nebulous in that it all depends on the margin (aka "gross") that the new purchase has built into it.  Consequently, the trade "value" can be all over the place.

However with your mileage, I`d expect min $24K assuming this is a CrewCab regardless of what brand your buying next.

Do not mention anything about the exhaust.   

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
Whatcha buyin?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »
I've seen multiple instances were Black Book was lower than the corresponding wholesale price in the Red Book.  Red Book reads like a dealer's guide, with greater precision.  You can only borrow it at the library.  Black Book reads like a consumer's guide, has all this advertising from dealers associated with it.

Wonder if the Black Book purposely states values as lower.  So that the dealer can show you the Black Book and say, "See?  Your car's not worth much..."

What do you say artic?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:00 am »
I don't think the CBB intentionally low balls prices, but they must make sure that they give dealers lots of room for error.   :)  Whatever one thinks about the CBB, it's widely used and it's used to "educate" the trade-in-ee as you mentioned.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:48 am »
I don't think the CBB intentionally low balls prices, but they must make sure that they give dealers lots of room for error.   :)  Whatever one thinks about the CBB, it's widely used and it's used to "educate" the trade-in-ee as you mentioned.

The Black Book is very "flexible" Artic is right it is often used to "educate" the person trading in that their car is really only worth "x". That deductions need to be made and that based on what the dealer has seen "at auction" etc locally that your trade in just isn't worth high blackbook.

Yet if you want to buy a used car that car the dealer has? Well all of a sudden the Blackbook vastly understates what it is/was worth. When they took that in on trade they paid way over Blackbook and even though there appears to be 5K difference between high Blackbook and retail they really are making almost nothing . 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:37:59 am »

The Black Book is very "flexible" Artic is right it is often used to "educate" the person trading in that their car is really only worth "x". That deductions need to be made and that based on what the dealer has seen "at auction" etc locally that your trade in just isn't worth high blackbook.

Yet if you want to buy a used car that car the dealer has? Well all of a sudden the Blackbook vastly understates what it is/was worth. When they took that in on trade they paid way over Blackbook and even though there appears to be 5K difference between high Blackbook and retail they really are making almost nothing . 

A cynical but all too often accurate description of CBB use by dealers in my experience.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58:52 pm »
When I was at the library comparing wholesale prices in the Red Book vs. Black Book, which I assume should be apples to apples, the Black Book was always significantly lower, at least for the examples I looked at.

What was interesting was that the Red Book read like a "dealer-to-dealer" book.  So wholesale was what dealers paid at auction, on average, and of course the corresponding "retail" values in the Red Book were higher to take into account reconditioning and profit margin, etc.

Black Book just seems like a marketing tool to me, made in conjunction with the dealers.

Appreciate the input artic.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
Whatcha buyin?

Funny enough I am thinking of trading it on a new 2011 F150.  The Recycle Your Ride and Costco discounts have resulted in some pretty economical deals.  If my 2010 is in the range of the high value specified by the Canadian Black Book, I will not be out of pocket much at all to upgrade. 

Good luck. All those incentives lathered on drives your used ride down the same amount. I believe the saying is there is no such thing as a free lunch? Unless you find a rube...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »
..maybe WE could develop a TRUTH BOOK....
 that POS is worth $750...but your baby is invaluable........... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »
It is folly to take Black Book numbers at face value and expect them to be accurate. I've found that the key to using the Black Book is in learning how it relates to your local market. For example, diesel trucks typically call for an add of thousands of dollars for the diesel motor. In our market, retail prices don't justify that addition. As a result, a consumer that uses Black Book numbers to value his diesel trade-in will be significantly overvaluing his trade in our market.

A few months ago, the current Black Book had the average value of a 1 year old Ranger higher than the price of a new one on ford.ca.

These issues are caused by the delay in publishing the data and the fact that the data only represents a specific market and cannot be applied directly to every market in Canada.

For an experienced appraiser, Black Book can be a useful guide. But experience in how to use it is the key. Having said that, it would be a foolish appraiser that relied solely on Black Book. With the inventory management tools available to dealers these days it is easy to see exactly what similar vehicles are retailing for in a given area. This provides a more accurate pricing picture than what any "book" can provide.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:59 am »
are you getting another f-150?

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »
I have not been offered anywhere near black book for my 2007 honda pilot, everyone is consistently about 20% under black book.

It might be due to it being a large suv which is not currently in vogue.  Check out my blog with quotes for trade from 4 different dealerships:

http://nlcarblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/honda-pilot-trade-in-stories.html

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:49:01 pm by Hammy »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »
are you getting another f-150?

That is the plan since I was pretty happy with my 2010.  Just debating now engine (5.0 versus 3.5 ecoboost) and other options.
I think you can get a  better deal on the 5.0L