Author Topic: Autox at Picton Airport  (Read 3452 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Autox at Picton Airport
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
My last run of the day last Sunday
One more autox to go.  Car needs TLC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Yi1TLY1Y0
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Autox at Picton Airport
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:49:20 am »
nice run

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:50 pm »
Blur, do they use the same lay-out (cone locations) every time at that strip?
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:07:22 pm »
Cool!  What tlc does it need?  Sounds great!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:15 pm »
Blur, do they use the same lay-out (cone locations) every time at that strip?

No, we change it up every time. Of course the shape does lead to similar courses.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:39 pm »

Front brakes are worn out.  Need new pads and finally going to change the rotors after 17 years of ownership.  (should I go cheap with regular rotors, or spring $103 each for plated cross-drilled Zimmerman? Opinions?)
Also have to adjust the clutch linkage.  It gets tighter as it wears and it started slipping on the way home. (actually, if you look closely at the tach it starts slipping about 50 seconds in, just exiting the left-hander)  Hopefully it grabs again after adjustment or it's new clutch time.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:11:43 pm by blur911 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:51 pm »

Front brakes are worn out.  Need new pads and finally going to change the rotors after 17 years of ownership.  (should I go cheap with regular rotors, or spring $103 each for plated cross-drilled Zimmerman? Opinions?)
Also have to adjust the clutch linkage.  It gets tighter as it wears and it started slipping on the way home.  Hopefully it grabs again after adjustment or it's new clutch time.

Hmmmm...wonder if cheap rotors will warp on you once you get heat into them from Auto-X??  OR...buy your cheap rotors and pads and have them cryo-treated.  They'll last forever...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:51 pm »

Also have to adjust the clutch linkage.  It gets tighter as it wears and it started slipping on the way home.  Hopefully it grabs again after adjustment or it's new clutch time.

Hmmmm...wonder if cheap rotors will warp on you once you get heat into them from Auto-X??  OR...buy your cheap rotors and pads and have them cryo-treated.  They'll last forever...

Well, not Chinese white box cheap rotors.  $40 ATE or $70 Brembo cheap.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:15:28 pm by blur911 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:11 pm »

Well, not Chinese white box cheap rotors.  $40 ATE or $70 Brembo cheap.

I like ATE Super Blue fluid.  :)

Still wouldn't hurt to cryo treat them.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
Just ordered a set of front Brembo rotors, EBC Yellowstuff pads, front wheel bearings, windshield seal ($41, it leaks)
Total of $384.

Trying out Autopartsway.ca, never ordered from them before but the prices made going to the US not worth the trouble.
I'll see how they fare soon.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »
Wow.  They have some solid prices.  Please update us on how the transaction goes.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »
Trying out Autopartsway.ca, never ordered from them before but the prices made going to the US not worth the trouble.
I'll see how they fare soon.

Blur, my friend dealt with them once so far. That experience will be his last. Autpartsway expected him to pay the return shipping when they sent him the wrong part...it cost him $50 return shipping.

FYI, I have since sucked an e-mail out of them admitting that they would pay for return shipping if they screwed up the order.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »
Nice vid.

I'd like to make it down to Picton next summer, even though it's kinda far (for me).  Too darn busy this summer and used up my vacation days in other places besides Ontario. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:50 am »
Wow.  They have some solid prices.  Please update us on how the transaction goes.

Purolator just delivered the EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. From the shipping sticker it looks like they were drop shipped from Keystone of Canada in Mississauga.  Interesting.
They were the most expensive item at $129
The pads actually have a "brake-in" coating.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
The rest of the parts came yesterday afternoon via UPS.
So, one good experience with autopartsway.ca

Oh yeah, forgot about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IojnZSnXts
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:43:23 pm by blur911 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »
Clutch still slipping, no fun for me tomorrow. :(