Author Topic: 2012 Dodge Hornet  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
2012 Dodge Hornet
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »
2012 Dodge Hornet...Its based on an Alfa Their cars look amazing but you'd never want to own one. complete nightmare IMO. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/alfa-romeo/giulietta-2010.aspx

Quote from: left hand news

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-hornet.html

Likely to be badged Dodge Hornet, this new car clearly draws heavily from the European-market Alfa Romeo Giulietta.  For the first time ever, we can see that its front fascia uses the crosshair design that is part of Dodge’s brand DNA. So far, the only model we’ve seen fully uncovered is the Hornet sedan, but a five-door with proportions almost identical to the Giulietta is also expected.

Chrysler has been notoriously quiet about development of its new compact car, which will replace the Dodge Caliber. But we anticipate both 1.4-liter and 1.8-liter four-cylinders to provide motivation to the front wheels through manual and dual-clutch automatic transmissions. The 168-horsepower 1.4-liter unit will power most Hornets, while the 232-horsepower 1.8-liter, badged as a 1.75-liter on the Alfa Romeo as an homage to the brand’s legendary 1750 twin-cams, will likely be used in an SRT4 variant. Like the car’s platform and much of its styling, the powertrains have been sourced from Fiat and its Alfa Romeo division.

The Giulietta went on sale last year in Europe, where it came in second place in the continent’s European Car of the Year contest.

We haven’t been able to see inside the Hornet yet, but we’d expect to see an interior not unlike the Giulietta’s.

In order to Fiat to take additional investments in Chrysler at a discounted rate, the Italian automaker had to promise the United States government – which was then Chrysler’s primary shareholder – that it would help develop a compact car capable of netting 40 mpg. The car also had to be built in the U.S. This is it, a new four and five-door lineup that will compete in the increasingly competitive compact car segment against rivals from Chevrolet (Cruze), Ford (Focus), Hyundai (Elantra) and Mazda (Mazda3), all of which offer models that achieve 40 mpg or greater.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:27:57 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Dodge Hornet
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:02:19 am »
2012 Dodge Hornet...Its based on an Alfa Their cars look amazing but you'd never want to own one. complete nightmare IMO

I saw those photos...but that angle doesn't look like a hatch to me...I hope it is.

What is your bolded comment above based on? 

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
2012 Dodge Hornet...Its based on an Alfa Their cars look amazing but you'd never want to own one. complete nightmare IMO

I saw those photos...but that angle doesn't look like a hatch to me...I hope it is.

What is your bolded comment above based on? 

Years of reading about Alfa's and listening Jeremy Clarkson.....

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey/alfa-romeo-to-bmw/217350

For the third year running, Alfa Romeo has one of the lowest average mileages and some of the youngest cars in this survey, yet it continues to sit near the bottom of the reliability table

Thats just quick google. Alfa's are well know for it. Maybe things have improved under Fiat but i doubt it.

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
I guess the Jeep ownership also gives them names belonging to AMC, Hudson and Nash.

Chrysler Gremlin or Rambler anyone?

James Bond flipped the Hornet across a river.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:54:35 pm »
I'd be tempted into an Alfa but I'd be very unlikely to buy one  with Dodge badges that came from  a Chrysler dealer.  I'd want one from an Alfa dealer with real Alfa badges and a VIN that showed it was made in Italy.  Then I'd know I was getting real Italian unreliability in a real Italian car not one that was altered for "North American tastes"
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:17:44 pm »

OH! Well then...  I guess the 458 Italia is your list as well, Clarkson didn't care for the swtichgear on the steering wheel.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »

OH! Well then...  I guess the 458 Italia is your list as well, Clarkson didn't care for the swtichgear on the steering wheel.

Yea..and English cars are the coolest, most reliable things on the planet according to him..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »

Yet Clarkson loves them.

You know what, I've been thinking about this the wrong way...there are lots of other cars out there for people...don't buy one (as if you have the opportunity).

....I'd want one from an Alfa dealer with real Alfa badges and a VIN that showed it was made in Italy.  Then I'd know I was getting real Italian unreliability in a real Italian car not one that was altered for "North American tastes"

;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
And have it fixed by a real mechanic.   Swarthy, short legs, smelling slightly of  1/2 digested Parmesan and a surname ending in "o".    Someone who actually owns( and drives every day) an Italian car themselves would be even better.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:17:58 am »
And have it fixed by a real mechanic.   Swarthy, short legs, smelling slightly of  1/2 digested Parmesan and a surname ending in "o".    Someone who actually owns( and drives every day) an Italian car themselves would be even better.

Uh oh, that may have gone way over the line in this sanitized politically correct country. Don't you mean "pungent challenged"?   :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:41 am »

Uh oh, that may have gone way over the line in this sanitized politically correct country. Don't you mean "pungent challenged"?   :rofl2:

No.   Anyway you are still allowed to joke nicely about Caucasians it is just everyone else who one may not refer to in a joking manner.    ;)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:24:59 am »
I think a re-think of cars is in order here and maybe the Italians are on to something.

Todays's cars from our current manufacturers are becoming increasingly more and more interactive with screens here and there and a lot of 'touching' going on - how perverted is that? Is this a replacement for what isn't going on elesewhere in people's lives?  ::)

Anyway we have all these electronic gizmos available to us to entertain and sometimes confuse us. So much storage capacity, chips and other computer controlled dodads and whatchamacallits that cars have become electronic marvels. Very electrically interactive - like it or not.

So along come the Italians and back to our roots - cars that are mechanically interective instead. Things that go bump in the dark. Doors that realign themselves with each one - bump, and windows that only lower. Engines that need loving and suspensions that are good for Italian roads and not designed for our Pothole America. Yes cars that need maintenance. How amazing is that. And we get to thank the deposed Canadian for bringing all this to us. Cheers!  ;D

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:41:16 am »

I have never been a fan.  :-[

Yea..and English cars are the coolest, most reliable things on the planet according to him..

Believe or not the Morris Marinas are fairly reliable. With faithful old b series engine...so yes they are. Some Rovers are alright too.  ;D