Author Topic: Buy a used car as a foreigner in Canada  (Read 5593 times)

eman

Buy a used car as a foreigner in Canada
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:22:26 pm »
I read something about buying a cheap car in Canada you need to pay up about 5,000 CAD to get a somewhat reliable car.. Which isn't music to my ears exactly. Will be looking for a car to take me from A to B. Simply to get to work u know.

I would wanna get a car for about 2,000 CAD. But would I have to be extremely lucky to find a car that wont break down every week for that kind of money?

Oh yeah, do you canadians have any special paper forms or anyting that makes it tougher and takes longer time to be able to buy, own and drive away with the car?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Buy a used car as a foreigner in Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:30:16 pm »
depends on your destination within canada, and i am NOT really sure what the regulations are with regards to foreigners, but to start off,

as long as you have valid drivers license and address, (and insurance) you should be able to buy a car.

for 2k, i would think some rough and worn cars, but if you browse private sellers listings, you may find some good ones.  from used car dealership, probably not.

cars in 2k range CAN BE reliable.  my bro's kia rio (2003, less than $2k) had been flawless reliability wise for nearly 2 years.  even in the dead cold of the winter, which can reach -40 degrees, it started and ran right on the turn of the key.

on the other hand, you will have to filter thru million + garbages to find few that will serve you well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:33:25 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

eman

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »
depends on your destination within canada, and i am really sure what the regulations are with regards to foreigners, but to start off,

as long as you have valid drivers license and address, (and insurance) you should be able to buy a car.

for 2k, i would think some rough and worn cars, but if you browse private sellers listings, you may find some good ones.  from used car dealership, probably not.

cars in 2k range CAN BE reliable.  my bro's kia rio (2003, less than $2k) had been flawless reliability wise for nearly 2 years.  even in the dead cold of the winter, which can reach -40 degrees, it started and ran right on the turn of the key.

on the other hand, you will have to filter thru million + garbages to find few that will serve you well.

Address, you mean like a permanent address and not a hotel room? Nah, I wont even bother with the used car dealerships.
Do you have some tips on typical common work horse cars that's used in Canada? I know what models I would be looking for in Sweden in this price range but in Canada, that's a different story.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:29:37 pm »
The usual suspects would be Honda Civic, Acura Integra, Toyota Corolla, and Toyota Echo.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »
You could always stick with something maybe a bit more familiar.

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Volvo-850-T5-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ306019500

Also, where would you be buying said vehicle?  Licensing and insurance is different province to province.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:12:09 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

eman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:42 am »
Hehe, a Civic or especially a Corolla are kind of favourites to me. But as you guys say, would have to dig deeper for those.
Ford Taurus sounds perfect but you bring up a good point in insurance. Will have to look into that more closely.

I have no clue where I will buy the car in Canada, i'm going there to find a job "on the fly" hopefully a job in the oil fields in Alberta, so if I had to guess where, I'd say AB.

Yeah blur911, that would definitely be a fun car. Would have to empty my pockets every time I fill her up though.  :P

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:49 am »
Duh!  Ford Taurus!!  ;D Cheap, a lot cheaper than a POS Civic or Corolla and at least you'll feel like you're driving a car instead of a tin can.  I can't imagine how old a Civic or Corolla would have to be to be in the $2000 range.  Ancient probably.  A Taurus is mediocre on gas (deplorable is more like it), does 26-30 Imperial mpg sound good?  A Buick Century (good luck finding one for 2-3g) will get you an easy 35+, though it truly is a worse POS than a Taurus, and if you find a decent one (Taurus or Century), it'll last a lot longer than your stay in Canada...assuming you're not staying that is.  Somehow I think your biggest obstacle will be getting insurance.  Maybe it differs from province to province.  Mb is gov't run...I doubt you'd get it at all here.  Buying a car though should be easy.  There's a lot of cars out there...who knows, maybe you can find an old Lexus or Infiniti for your $ figure.

Here on the Wet Coast, there are loads of good Centuries and LeSabres available for like $2000 because this is, ahem, not exactly American Iron country. Have a look here:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/2597450651.html

Insurance is easily available in British Columbia, even for foreign drivers.

When I first met my wife, she had a 2003 Taurus. Not my kind of ride, unfortunately.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:46:46 am »
Get a pickup truck and get the whole experience.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

eman

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

Here on the Wet Coast, there are loads of good Centuries and LeSabres available for like $2000 because this is, ahem, not exactly American Iron country. Have a look here:

Insurance is easily available in British Columbia, even for foreign drivers.

When I first met my wife, she had a 2003 Taurus. Not my kind of ride, unfortunately.

Cool car. That's what I thought about B.C. I will mostly be using the car in Alberta and it's probably not a good idea to insure (is that even a word?) it in B.C and then use it in Alberta though

Get a pickup truck and get the whole experience.

It has crossed my mind :)

eman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:47 am »
What are some common problems with canadian cars that I should look out for?

For example, it's pretty damn cold and snowy in Canada. Might be a good idea to check out the rust with all the salt on the roads and stuff like that?

Anything else?