Author Topic: Need a New Family Hauler  (Read 7912 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Need a New Family Hauler
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »
Too bad really.  The low price and Km's make them tempting used buys. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
I think the Fit might be a good fit.  Really depends on your family size, lifestyle and how much stuff you like hauling around with them. 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »
This is a very topical thread as our P5 is aging as well and looking at similar criteria.

After looking at all of these, I've also looked at the following:

IS300 - too bad the sportcross is auto only. We could do a sedan, and one with lots of life left are around $10. Import Queens IS was a lot of fun.

HHR SS - Some may put these into the minivan category...or the ugly category. In SS guise, I love 'em. And rrocket always talks of how well the cobalt SS handles. Low mileage, recent examples can be had for around $15 .... in the US. If they brought these into Canada, it was in very limited numbers.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »
I think the Fit might be a good fit.  Really depends on your family size, lifestyle and how much stuff you like hauling around with them. 

For the immediate future it will be two kids under 3, travel to visit family often to go to the cottage, skiing etc.  The P5 is frequently packed to the gills with just one kid. 

We could make a Fit work but in the end I would prefer something slightly larger.  Also, prices for used Fits are a little high.  ~14,000 for an 07 with 70,000 km.  There's better asking prices but not by much.

IS300 - too bad the sportcross is auto only.

Agreed.  I really like the IS300's.  I'd also consider the TSX.

I wonder what's wrong with this - http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Insight/NEPEAN/Ontario/19_4365692_/

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:32 pm »
I wonder what's wrong with this

Because it's a FRAUD.   Due to market conditions, the only way to get private ads is for Autotrader.ca to offer fee spots.  You should read thru the snowmobile ads in winter.  :P  Terrible.  At least 1/2 of all ads are frauds placed from outside the country.   "I've been sent out Canada unexpectedly by my company.  My friend will send ship you my sled, send money here"  Not policed whatsoever.  ::)

Signs are: no plates, unusual vegetation in background (LOL) and no local tel #s.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:41 am »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:12 am »
Actually, the manuals aren't that hard to find in the Element SC, at least not in Alberta.  I'd love to have one as a family hauler, but the cargo capacity just isn't there for us since we also have a large dog.  It appears to have ample rear leg room, but the rear seats don't slide to increase cargo capacity (only fold to the side). 

The V70 is an interesting option.  I've always loved those wagons.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:09 am »

For the immediate future it will be two kids under 3, travel to visit family often to go to the cottage, skiing etc.  The P5 is frequently packed to the gills with just one kid. 

We could make a Fit work but in the end I would prefer something slightly larger.  Also, prices for used Fits are a little high.  ~14,000 for an 07 with 70,000 km.  There's better asking prices but not by much.

IS300 - too bad the sportcross is auto only.

Agreed.  I really like the IS300's.  I'd also consider the TSX.

I wonder what's wrong with this - http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Insight/NEPEAN/Ontario/19_4365692_/

I have not owned one but the back seats of the IS 300 look tiny. I don't know if you could get a front facing car seat in there without the seat in front pushed way up plus the trunk only holds 10 cubic feet and hass gooseneck hinges. I like the car a lot but its not a family or cargo hauler .

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:23 am »
How about the last year of the 'old' Focus wagon? I think they held as much as an Escape did.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:22 am »
If it were up to me I'd get the Focus wagon, drive it for three years then after a bunch of our loans are paid off get something nicer.    It if were only up to me. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:26 am »
.  I'd love to have one as a family hauler, but the cargo capacity just isn't there for us since we also have a large dog. 

Apparently the Element only has 25 cubic feet of space with the rear seats up (the P5 has 19),  that's not as large as I expected.  I wonder how they're measuring.   Still, I could use the space in front of the rear seats if needed.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:18 am »
I wonder what's wrong with this

Because it's a FRAUD.   Due to market conditions, the only way to get private ads is for Autotrader.ca to offer fee spots.  You should read thru the snowmobile ads in winter.  :P  Terrible.  At least 1/2 of all ads are frauds placed from outside the country.   "I've been sent out Canada unexpectedly by my company.  My friend will send ship you my sled, send money here"  Not policed whatsoever.  ::)

Signs are: no plates, unusual vegetation in background (LOL) and no local tel #s.
I've seen ads with palm trees in the background.  :shake:

I find cargo volume figures deceiving.  I prefer to go by dimensions.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:11 am »
.....try Quads new family hauler................. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 12:25:59 pm »
If it were up to me I'd get the Focus wagon...

I'd keep the P5.

A Focus zx5 will at least accept svt suspension mods.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
It's hard to dump money into the P5 at this point.

A/C compressor's dead.  Need new right rear shock, new tires (summer and winter), front left endlink, etc....

In all honesty I'd just keep driving the P5 since it's running very well and aside from the A/C it's little things that need to be fixed.  But if it breaks down in January with the wife and two kids I'm a dead man!

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »
It's hard to dump money into the P5 at this point.

A/C compressor's dead.  Need new right rear shock, new tires (summer and winter), front left endlink, etc....

In all honesty I'd just keep driving the P5 since it's running very well and aside from the A/C it's little things that need to be fixed.  But if it breaks down in January with the wife and two kids I'm a dead man!

Ya never know. The V50 refused to start stranding my wife and infant son while they flat bedded it away for a new ignition system (months after we got the car) and she STILL lved that car. She keeps telling me it was her  favorite car and can she get another . I told he only if she pays for all the repairs and takes it to the dealer and waits for it hereself  ;D

I think we are all starting to get the picture on who is making the decision here ...good luck...just be sure to take a rear facing seat to try in the back on anything you test drive. We got by because I do most of the driving and my wife is 5 2 in the passenger seat but anytime i needed to sit in front of the rear facing seat it sucked.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »
I think we are all starting to get the picture on who is making the decision here ...good luck...

Man, it sure sounds that way doesn't it?  Basically we're trying to find a car that makes us both happy.  I have a list of criteria that is slightly different than hers but there's quite a few cars where we meet in the middle.  I've put my foot down on a number of her choices for a variety of reasons.

Time to start driving a few cars to see what they're like beyond the spec. sheet.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport