Author Topic: Steering You Right: The horn  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: The horn
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:03:23 am »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Steering You Right: The horn
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:57 am »
Did someone say "boobs?" ;D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:01:06 am »
Yesterday I encountered an uptight BMW driver who resented the fact that I signaled to move in front of him to be able to exit the freeway he had just entered. His reply was to sit on the horn. I had the top down so it was loud. He eventually gave up and sped off well over the speed limit. I find in the Vancouver area many young BMW drivers who speed and drive erratically. This horn blower was typical of many.

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
A gentle honk shouldn't be considered an insult by the one being honked at. Same should apply for being flashed from behind to move over when somebody wants to pass. Unfortunately in these two contries (Canada, US) this is taken very personally and slow drivers immediately become asses hanging into the fast lane and making people behind frustrated and furious. Not to mention that for some the rear view mirror is for applying makeup!!! 

Offline kirm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:07 am »
I agree Art. Recently I drove to my brother's house to pick up a bike for a workmate that was buying it...or I should say he drove. What a putz. The guy is a "professional driver" and he went down the Yellowhead for the whole trip in the left lane. I work with him so I pointed out that the best place to be is the middle or right lane unless you're passing. He, in typical Alberta redneck fashion, said he could drive wherever he liked and he wasn't going to move over. This while cars blew past us on the right.

That's the attitude here in Canada/US and it bugs me to no end. We are a bunch of savages when you compare how they drive in Europe. No wonder the Europeans make fun of all things American...and by extension Canadians.

And as for his praising the patience of that lineup of people at the left hand light that wouldn't change...what a doofus. Honk at the dummy and get her up to the line. Who wants to wait at a light forever because of some clown that can't drive...oh yeah...we all do here in Albertachuk. If I had a buck for every time I waited in an intersection or missed an advance signal while the guy at the head of the line dallied for some unknown reason (probably texting) and then realized that he could GO NOW! Concentrate on your GD driving, ya redneck idiots!

I've been to several countries in Central and South America and they use the horn like it gives money when you press it and, I can tell you, NOBODY dallies there when the light changes. I'd like to see it used here more to get texting idiots or those who have fallen asleep behind the wheel...again...to get the h3ll moving.

/rant off

scoat1

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »
Be careful what you tell her to ignore.  There could be a real emergency behind her some day...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »
I have used it, and held it down for a really long time, on people who either cannot stay in their lane properly or turn into the wrong lane on a multiple left turn lane intersection. People who can't keep it inside the (correct set of) lines really irritate me.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:31 am »
is it an offense to get of out of a running car in the middle of the road???

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong - but if you don't get the priority green - turn on the green - or get into the intersection and turn on the amber.

What about all the cars that honk the horn when they lock or unlock the doors? Isn't that distracting and annoying?

My car chirps. The last car I had with an alarm had a silent mode and just blinked the lights.

I demand justice.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »
I finally realized that the lady ahead had not pulled up enough to place her car over the magnetic sensors that would trigger the priority green light. I got out and politely told her about it. She moved up. The light changed to green, and all 20 cars made it through the priority left – all without a single sound of discontent.

magnetic sensors that would trigger the priority green light.

In what magical world do advanced greens get triggered by "magnetic sensors".

The light changed to green, and all 20 cars made it through the priority left

In what magical world can 20 stopped vehicles (a few trucks) make it thru an advanced green.

Another whopper.  ::)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 11:07:30 pm »
I love the magnetic triggered sensors on lights, however, so many idiots stop away from the line that it's often the case here that we have 20-30 car lineups while the person up front is totally oblivious. So frustrating!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:17:00 pm »
Railton

They were in the field of vision  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:15 pm »
I love the magnetic triggered sensors on lights,

For advanced greens in main intersections  ???    They don't exist.   They don't sense motorcycles.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:15 am »
I love the magnetic triggered sensors on lights,

For advanced greens in main intersections  ???    They don't exist.   They don't sense motorcycles.

They use inductive loops in the pavement. They detect Harleys well enough and most of my old streetbikes. My current FZ6 is all plastic and aluminum and there were a few intersections around Fredericton that it couldn't trigger. I used to creep as far ahead as I could and signal the car behind me to get close. That usually worked. If nobody else was around, I'd either turn right or if there wasn't any traffic, run the light.

In Fredericton, the lights were retrofitted, so you could see where the pavement was torn up to install the loops.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:14:47 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 02:49:54 am »
They had those back in 1970 in my old Toronto neighbourhood, but didn't work on street bikes.  I would just look both ways and pull a left on the red.  It was a 3 way intersection with the payment thingy only on our little street, not the busy intersecting 4 laner going by.

But these things don't operate advanced greens at big traffic intersections.  That's just BS.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 05:47:42 am »
Around here you need two cars to trigger advanced greens. One at the intersection and one about a car length back behind the first.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 07:23:59 am »
Around here you need two cars to trigger advanced greens. One at the intersection and one about a car length back behind the first.
Actually, at some lights you don;t need both cars - if you stop about 20'-30' back form the intersection that will be enough to trigger the advanced green. You look like a 'wing nut' doing it but who cares as long as you get the advanced green. ;D It must simulate a long line of left turn cars.
A place you can try it out for yourself is Bronson Northbound, left turn lane to get onto the Queensway Westbound . Give her a try.
Railton

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 07:25:31 am »
Railton

They were in the field of vision  ;D
Thank you. That took how many days?
Railton