Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Matrix S  (Read 11739 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Matrix S
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:17 pm »
i don't get all the hate...it wouldn't be my first choice in the class, although we considered one prior to getting the ET...while it lacks the features and "style" most of its competitors offer, it is still a good car.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »
i don't get all the hate...it wouldn't be my first choice in the class, although we considered one prior to getting the ET...while it lacks the features and "style" most of its competitors offer, it is still a good car.

If I'm gonna lay that kind of money, I don't want it to lack features and style knowing I can get better for less. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »
If I'm gonna lay that kind of money, I don't want it to lack features and style knowing I can get better for less. 
i don't disagree, as i chose the ET over it as well...however, that doesn't mean the Matrix is crap...it's still a decent car.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:20 pm »

No we are not forced to read the article, but we come here every morning to see if there is anything exciting developping, something cool, hot whatever.....no we get get a f....toaster.

OK, we get it.  Its a Toyota, you hate it.  Like others have said, you don't need to read about the f....toaster. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:57 am »
The whiners are the ones that won't buy a car with bun warmers...I don't really want to read the same article 3 times either. I do not consider constructive criticism to be 'whining', it's an integral part of improvement.

Hey, I'm sure we'd all like to see some different reviews, and not the same cars over and over.  But as airbalancer said, no one is forced to read these articles.  I'm assuming that the reviewers don't get much choice in what cars they review - they likely get what they get.  Or is that mistaken?  So if for some reason Toyota continues to send Matrices for review (I don't know why they would either...) then that's what the reviewers get to review.  This isn't insideline where they (sometimes) buy a car and use it for a long-term review.

As for the "advertorial" comment - I think it's really writer-dependent.  Chris, James, and Jill have all called a car out in their reviews when it was warranted (eg this Matrix review!)  I'm not so sure about the other reviewers.  That's why I go to autos.ca and stopped reading from auto123 - now those folks specialize in advertorials.

No we are not forced to read the article, but we come here every morning to see if there is anything exciting developping, something cool, hot whatever.....no we get get a f....toaster.

...and this is coming from someone that drives a Nissan Juoke???  ::)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 09:03:38 am »
the Juke is a fun little vehicle...i test drove one about 8 months ago and really liked it...unfortunately, it was just too small to be practical for my needs...but if you don't need a lot of space, it would be a definite contender for top choice...well equipped, lots of great features, interesting looks (likely a love it or hate it thing).

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 10:23:49 am »
The whiners are the ones that won't buy a car with bun warmers...I don't really want to read the same article 3 times either. I do not consider constructive criticism to be 'whining', it's an integral part of improvement.

Hey, I'm sure we'd all like to see some different reviews, and not the same cars over and over.  But as airbalancer said, no one is forced to read these articles.  I'm assuming that the reviewers don't get much choice in what cars they review - they likely get what they get.  Or is that mistaken?  So if for some reason Toyota continues to send Matrices for review (I don't know why they would either...) then that's what the reviewers get to review.  This isn't insideline where they (sometimes) buy a car and use it for a long-term review.

As for the "advertorial" comment - I think it's really writer-dependent.  Chris, James, and Jill have all called a car out in their reviews when it was warranted (eg this Matrix review!)  I'm not so sure about the other reviewers.  That's why I go to autos.ca and stopped reading from auto123 - now those folks specialize in advertorials.

...and this is coming from someone that drives a Nissan Juoke???  ::)
Your comment is really irrelevant plus I did not even mention the Juke, and Wing already drove one so we don't need another article on the Juke.  But go drive one:) the day Toyota makes something that much fun they will be applauded.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:54 am »

OK, we get it.  Its a Toyota, you hate it.  Like others have said, you don't need to read about the f....toaster. 
Open your eyes man, it's all we read about, let's start reviewing GM in doubles every 2 weeks and will see how much barking will go on here.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55:19 am »
Grant, Chris and James are all in Ottawa
 the car goes all 3 for review within weeks of each other
So do you want them to wait a month between each  reviews?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »

Open your eyes man, it's all we read about, let's start reviewing GM in doubles every 2 weeks and will see how much barking will go on here.

Do I have to state it again?  Then don't read it.  It has been stated on this forum multiple times that the reviewers don't choose the vehicles they review.  They review what they are given.  And when those people start barking about multiple GM reviews, I'll criticize them too  :)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »
As redman said "advertorial", I say "infomercial" same dif.  This site no longer has it's original purpose, oh well....

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »
The Matrix is an excellent appliance, no doubt very reliable. For this reason, it would make a much better used buy.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 02:16:25 pm »

We review cars here. The car mfgs send us cars to review, and, because we review cars here, we review the cars the car mfgs send us. Can I make it any clearer, for the thousandth time?

Toyota isn't the only carmaker who sends us the same model each year, in order to "show off" the year-to-year changes they've made to the car. We are a consumer-oriented publication, not an enthusiast-biased one. If we start saying no to the cars that aren't "cool/hot," they'll stop sending us vehicle altogether, and then we're out of business cos we have nothing to write about. If that happens and I lose my job, I tell you what - I'll swing by your house and sleep in the backseat of your Juke.

You don't like car, don't read the review. As far as the advertorial/informercial comment, you're not reading the articles if you think we're publishing advertorials. I bet you wouldn't have much bad to say about my not-entirely-negative review of "your" car: http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2011-nissan-juke-sl-awd
I used to work here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:15 pm »
We review cars here. The car mfgs send us cars to review, and, because we review cars here, we review the cars the car mfgs send us. Can I make it any clearer, for the thousandth time...

...If that happens and I lose my job, I tell you what - I'll swing by your house and sleep in the backseat of your Juke...

:fiver:

Don't worry Chris, 99% of the folks around here understand.  Just don't expect brand-specific haters to stop whining...

Offline dkerr24

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 03:06:01 pm »
I had always assumed that all the Matrix reviews were because the Matrix is built in Canada?  Either way, it is a vehicle that is long in the tooth and in desperate need of a complete reboot.  A 4 speed automatic?  Get real.

I understand the need to review what is shipped to testers for review, and sometimes I gotta laugh at some of the +$100K cars reviewed on edmunds.com.  The types of cars you don't even see on the street, let alone actually would dare drive on public roads.

Back to the subject, I owned a 2003 Matrix XR, and found it to be reliable and economical.  Would I buy another one today?  No, there are many far better cars out there for less money.  I ended up going a complete different direction and bought a '11 Ram 1500 Hemi.  I can haul/tow stuff I never imagined in the Matrix.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:26:43 pm by dkerr24 »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »