Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Matrix S  (Read 11744 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Matrix S
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:06 am »

Though it's practical and looks sporty, the Matrix S has a stiff ride and is relatively pricey, says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Matrix S
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:47:24 am »
Did Wing not just do this like less than a month ago?  What is there to know that we don't already know?  How soon can you get your hands on a Veloster, that I want to read about.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:49:50 am by Juke1 »

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:16:59 am »
I guess its bad form if you told Toyota 'no' for a second round? Or is it due to the org structure at Autos.ca that maybe Mr. Chase would get a 'no' for his review submission? At any rate I think most of us would rather not see another article on the Matrix anytime soon.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:07:41 am »
Yeah, mlm is absolutely right. I want to add that within the last year there was campagn about Honda's CR-Z and as well the new gen Hyundais - everything looks more or less like some journos are respective company's test drivers and manufacturer's public relations officers.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:21:41 am »
A good friend of mine has a basic entry level 5 spd man with row your own windows Matrix and swears by it. No major problems. He is a contractor so the back seats are always down and the back is loaded with construction equipment. He really does make full use of the hard plastic trunk linings. Every time I sit and ride in it I just think to myself what an ugly interior that would suit Toyota 10 years ago before the Koreans got their act together.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Gforce99

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:33 am »
Yeah, mlm is absolutely right. I want to add that within the last year there was campagn about Honda's CR-Z and as well the new gen Hyundais - everything looks more or less like some journos are respective company's test drivers and manufacturer's public relations officers.

Yes, i agree that most journalist don't provide an unbiased review of most cars. Being down east in Halifax, i can attest that i have not seen many new Matrix's on the road here. I have seen vast amounts of the new Gen Focus, Elantra, Mazda 3 and Forte roaming the streets. I guess it goes to show that shoppers are really comparing features/cost over brand loyalty.

I am in the market for a new car and i had owned the last Gen Civic, and had the opportunity to try out a new 2012. Between the lack of 2012 Civic's available right now and all the cost cutting Honda has done to the new Civic, i am leaning heavily on getting a new Mazda 3 or possibly the Elantra (if Hyundai offers some year end incentives). I was looking at the Corolla Sport or Matrix S but the price doesn't justify what the value compared to the Mazda 3 or Elantra.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:56:49 am »
Just checked the Toyota Canada website and the Matrix doesn't even have heated seats or even offer it.  Wouldn't even consider a vehicle without that feature, enjoy mine too much to give it up.  ;D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »
Just checked the Toyota Canada website and the Matrix doesn't even have heated seats or even offer it.  Wouldn't even consider a vehicle without that feature, enjoy mine too much to give it up.  ;D

Big (cloth) heated seat fan here too - not sure if it would be a dealbreaker for me though.  Honda and Toyota both seemingly refuse to put seat heaters with cloth seats in their cars.  Is it strictly cost-cutting, or a remnant of the past arrogance - if you want desirable features in our cars, you have to buy a car with leather?  Other Japanese mnfrs have them - Nissan (Juke, Rogue, and Altima at least, not sure about Versa or Sentra), as well as Subaru - not sure about Mazda.  The Koreans put heated seats in everything now, VW has heated cloth seats on at least higher trim Golfs (don't know about Jettas).  What about Ford/GM/Fiasyler?  I don't recall if the new Focus had heated seats.  Seems like a fairly cheap option for the company (has to be < $100), and you can easily jack up the purchase price by double the option cost.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »
It is about $500 to have seat heats installed on the front seats of a car ,

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:09 pm »
It is about $500 to have seat heats installed on the front seats of a car ,

It can't cost the manufacturer that much if included from the factory.  VW used to have a "cold weather package" on some of their cars which included heated seats and heated wiper nozzles, for around $250.  I can see if it is aftermarket though, as you'd have to remove all the seat fabric, install the heater, run the wires to the center console (or wherever the switch goes) and also to a power source, install the switch in the console, etc.  Not the simplest aftermarket addition, and $500  would be in the ballpark.  But most of those problems would be avoided if it was done at the factory, plus the lower cost of buyer the seat heaters in bulk for so many vehicles.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »
This car never appealed to me. Whenever I had a chance to sit on it I was amazed how ugly the dashboard is. Ya, Toyota can master the reliability, not the design tough.
Bombastic

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
One can buy a VW Golf Comfortline, which is equiped with everything and more(e.g., heated seats), except the sunroof, for $20.00 more.  You also get a lot more power, much better ride and handling, a very well finished interior and 6 speed auto with sport and manual shift modes.  So why would anyone by the Martix, pray tell?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:54:03 pm »
One can buy a VW Golf Comfortline, which is equiped with everything and more(e.g., heated seats), except the sunroof, for $20.00 more.  You also get a lot more power, much better ride and handling, a very well finished interior and 6 speed auto with sport and manual shift modes.  So why would anyone by the Martix, pray tell?

Well, you're pretty much guaranteed to never have to visit the Toyota dealership for anything other than regular maintenance on the Matrix... the opposite is almost guaranteed on the Golf... I know many people who don't care about cars and just want something that works... a Yaris/Corolla/Matrix/Camry is perfect for them.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 02:26:05 pm »
I like most people here am so tired in regards to the practically weekly Matrix write ups. It's sad to say but since Trader took over Canadian Driver these "Advertorials" are getting long in the tooth and frankly insulting to anyone who chooses to search and read what use to be educational information.

The Matrix no matter what iteration is nothing but a dead horse. Stop beating it. The product is tired, droll and way out of it's life cycle. Stiffer springs don't account for better handling geometry anymore then a larger displacement engine signifies engine advancements.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:29:55 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »
I like most people here am so tired in regards to the practically weekly Matrix write ups. It's sad to say but since Trader took over Canadian Driver these "Advertorials" are getting long in the tooth and frankly insulting to anyone who chooses to search and read what use to be educational information.

The Matrix no matter what iteration is nothing but a dead horse. Stop beating it. The product is tired, droll and way out of it's life cycle. Stiffer springs don't account for better handling geometry anymore then a larger displacement engine signifies better engine engineering.

Rob

It doesn't get any clearer than that...thumbs up.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »
What a bunch of whines here
No one is forcing to click on the thread
The reviewers are not making big money here, they drive what is available they pay for their gas, in Wing case it is a hobby gone crazy ;D

If you whine about something, whine about that there no app for the forum  :rofl:

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »
The whiners are the ones that won't buy a car without bun warmers...I don't really want to read the same article 3 times either. I do not consider constructive criticism to be 'whining', it's an integral part of improvement.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:21:58 pm by aaronk »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
The whiners are the ones that won't buy a car with bun warmers...I don't really want to read the same article 3 times either. I do not consider constructive criticism to be 'whining', it's an integral part of improvement.

Hey, I'm sure we'd all like to see some different reviews, and not the same cars over and over.  But as airbalancer said, no one is forced to read these articles.  I'm assuming that the reviewers don't get much choice in what cars they review - they likely get what they get.  Or is that mistaken?  So if for some reason Toyota continues to send Matrices for review (I don't know why they would either...) then that's what the reviewers get to review.  This isn't insideline where they (sometimes) buy a car and use it for a long-term review.

As for the "advertorial" comment - I think it's really writer-dependent.  Chris, James, and Jill have all called a car out in their reviews when it was warranted (eg this Matrix review!)  I'm not so sure about the other reviewers.  That's why I go to autos.ca and stopped reading from auto123 - now those folks specialize in advertorials.

richink

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:40:22 pm »
How soon can you get your hands on a Veloster, that I want to read about.

Here here!!!! I am dying to take one of those out for a ride, especially the rumoured 208hp turbo version apparently due in 2013. On paper it sounds like a brilliant replacement for a certain 2004 Civic SiR that is quickly becomming a senior citizen.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »
The whiners are the ones that won't buy a car with bun warmers...I don't really want to read the same article 3 times either. I do not consider constructive criticism to be 'whining', it's an integral part of improvement.

Hey, I'm sure we'd all like to see some different reviews, and not the same cars over and over.  But as airbalancer said, no one is forced to read these articles.  I'm assuming that the reviewers don't get much choice in what cars they review - they likely get what they get.  Or is that mistaken?  So if for some reason Toyota continues to send Matrices for review (I don't know why they would either...) then that's what the reviewers get to review.  This isn't insideline where they (sometimes) buy a car and use it for a long-term review.

As for the "advertorial" comment - I think it's really writer-dependent.  Chris, James, and Jill have all called a car out in their reviews when it was warranted (eg this Matrix review!)  I'm not so sure about the other reviewers.  That's why I go to autos.ca and stopped reading from auto123 - now those folks specialize in advertorials.

No we are not forced to read the article, but we come here every morning to see if there is anything exciting developping, something cool, hot whatever.....no we get get a f....toaster.