Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque  (Read 9947 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:55 am »

The smallest Range Rover ever, the Evoque earns its badge, says Jil McIntosh: mountain trails and flooded tunnels are all in a day's work.

Read More...

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
Yipeee, another balloon car on the market.

Too bad Land Rover Canada can't bring us the Defender with its wide choice of engines and true off-road toughness.

I'll stick with the Jeep Wrangler. 

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:11 am »
From the article: "Along with General, there is also Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud and Ruts, and Sand (the Rock Crawl offered in the more robust models isn’t here)." Where is the "Mall Parking Lot" setting? Or how about "Speed bump-low"? Or what would be most useful would be an icy road setting that would cut power by 75% so that people would go appropriate speeds and not feel invincible in their go-anywhere machine.

Great looking vehicle inside and out though and obviously very capable. Too bad they didn't spend as much time engineering quality into these things as capability. Maybe this will be the one.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
Great vehicle for England when one has to escape from the anarchists and riots.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:00 am »

Would it also work in Vancouver during NHL playoffs?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

Would it also work in Vancouver during NHL playoffs?
No. You'd need a full size Range Rover with nerf bars for that. An run flats of course so you don't get stopped by a puncture after crushing some bones.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:36 am »
Nah...Top Gear tested this car and it got hung up on a Mountain.  So, as long as you're escaping anarchists and rioters in Winnipeg, you're fine.  Vancouver....not so much!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »
Nah...Top Gear tested this car and it got hung up on a Mountain.  So, as long as you're escaping anarchists and rioters in Winnipeg, you're fine.  Vancouver....not so much!
i think you are mistaken...i saw the episode of TG and it was the BMW's that were "useless" off the asphalt.

i think this is the episode here (X6): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwOBKSHl-c
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:37 pm »
Stunning car!   :drool:

If money wouldn't be an issue, I'd take one in a heart beat. Mine would be about $58K US.
I don't think LR announced the Canadian prices; not posted on the web anyway. The prices posed in the review seem to be the US prices.

Mine would look exactly like this:

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »
Stunning car!   :drool:

If money wouldn't be an issue, I'd take one in a heart beat. Mine would be about $58K US.
I don't think LR announced the Canadian prices; not posted on the web anyway. The prices posed in the review seem to be the US prices.

Nah, either one of these would be so much better.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »
i think you are mistaken...i saw the episode of TG and it was the BMW's that were "useless" off the asphalt.

I'm talking about the latest season (17).  James took the Evoque out in Death Valley.  It turned out it was very capable over ruts, sand, etc.  At all the high speed stuff, apparently it's very good.  Where it was let down was when James tried crawling up a mountain.  

Now, this is completely out of context with my last remark.  That was intended as a joke in response to the vancouver riots posting.  In all seriousness, for any offroading that any Evoque owner will do, it is more than capable.  There is no single person in the world who is going to try to climb cliffs with this vehicle.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:52:34 pm »
There is no single person in the world who is going to try to climb cliffs with this vehicle.

Don't discount one middle eastern kingdom where they sh1t lincolns before breakfast. They flog exotics like I wouldn't my dollar store toy car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »

interesting...for some reason, when i look at this photo, i can see the new Explorer in there.

Alex_S

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:10:30 am »
<div style="text-align:left">

The smallest Range Rover ever, the Evoque earns its badge, says Jil McIntosh: mountain trails and flooded tunnels are all in a day's work.

<a href=http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2012-land-rover-range-rover-evoque>Read More...</a></div>

I think this is a tight little ride...modern and aggressive.  My only issues, stylistically, is how the side windows taper as you get towards the rear of the vehicle.  If i was on the design team, would also have fought for a larger rear window too.  The side tapering not as apparent in the red Rover above (and a fine looking ride it is) but can understand they're doing it for added style points..

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:13:48 pm »
Even there are clues from other vehicles, this one here is attractive and...expensive. If it has the same reliability as Freelander, forget it. Land Rovers are the vehicles with traditionaly last place in reliability table and they do have the catastrophically swift resale value plunge!

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 06:26:51 pm »
Can't stand the trend toward gun-slit windows these days.  Give me a defender 90 any day..  :P

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »
Can't stand the trend toward gun-slit windows these days.  Give me a defender 90 any day..  :P

I couldn't agree more. The trend towards rising belt lines in today's cars and trucks is awful. And yeah, the defender 90 remains beautiful - they had this version on Uncrate last week:

http://uncrate.com/stuff/vilner-land-rover-defender/