Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sportage SX  (Read 21047 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »
i GET the CUV thing. 

higher seating position.  (it is nice.  )
fairly good looking outside (subjective of course, but they are usually inoffensive)
easy to just plop in and plop out of the cabin if you are of moderate height.  (sedans, you tend to DROP into seats, and have to stand up when you get out.)
usually competitively priced.

but most significantly,
cargo bay is easy to access, as small as they may be.  no bending required.   i LOVE hatchbacks.  i think they rule, and they are the best thing since sliced bread, BUT with occasional back pains, i do consciously be careful when lifting stuff out of hatchbacks because i have to bend my back.

CUVs, with their heights, don't require me to bend my back.  just grab things out of the hatch standing up.    (same with, i assume, child seats in the back seat.)

The back issue might be it for a lot of people. Older demographic and all that.
It is the knees not the back that does in us old farts :rofl2:

Alex_S

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »
I thought the RAV4 and VW Tiguan were class leaders in the exterior looks departments (tho I was never a fan of the Rav4 interior).  The CRV would easily have taken it in my books if not for the "gaping jaw" front end which they refuse to fix...er update.

But wow, yet another fantastic looking vehicle from Kia and a boost to the Sportage value equation with increased hp AND a significant boost to fuel efficiency.  For me, it's not even close.  If i was in the market for a CUV, it would be an easy choice in the Sportage.

You are hinting at a question I have - admitting that I have never driven much less lived with a vehicle like this. My question is: what is the usefulness of a CUV like this, the Tiguan, Rav, Tucson, or the small Acura model whose name I cannot recall, to name a few? They seem too small to actually offer much cargo space and while they do offer AWD that seems their only real distinguishing feature - and at that, many are not sold with that anyway.

I just don't get the appeal. Is it simply a matter of sitting up a bit higher?

@ Oldsguy

I think this is a valid question and off the top of my head, I think there are number of reasons why someone may opt for a SUV/CUV mini-ute or whatever they’re called these days..

1.)  PULLING CAPACITY: Typically, the larger SUVs (Explorer, Escalade, Range Rover)  offered more pulling power so if you needed to pull Seadoos/small  U-haul units, these would appear to be a better fit vs most sedans.
2.)  CARGO CAPACITY: Again, originally, SUVs offered more interior volume vs sedans with their raised roof; if you needed additional interior capacity without going to a minivan, the truth is, there were simply not a lot of station wagons to choose from (tho this appears to be changing over the past few years).   Some offer 3rd row seating which is nice in a pinch.
3.)  SUVs have had that “it” factor.  Whether it was from Arnold roaming Cali streets in his Hummer to the pimped up Escalades/Mercedes G500’s/ Range Rovers in R&B and Hip Hop videos, the fact that you can put blinged up 24” shoes (rims) has kept these in favor among many celebrities…and it looks like the cool factor continues today, to a degree
4.) AWD: For those who live in snowy conditions, AWD coupled with good winter tires offers an advantage over non-awd vehicles and most SUVs have some derivative of AWD.  Clerance a bonus for very snowy conditions.  Aside from Audi/Subaru/Merc/BMW etc, limited choices, tho this too is changing significantly today
5.) OFF-ROADING: okay, a tiny fraction of SUV buyers will ever hit the dirt trails, but there are certainly a number that see trails to their cottages I’m sure.  Makes sense for mountain bikers, hikers as well as clearance could be useful for getting to destinations sometimes.
6.) SAFETY: this is just simple physics.  I’ll exaggerate to demonstrate a point but if a Hummer and Smart were to collide (both drivers wearing seatbelts), then there is a greater chance that the Hummer driver would sustain less damage due to mass of vehicle.   You can also add in better visibility from the higher, commanding view (tho I don’t necessarily agree with this as backing up without cameras is not as safe in a SUV).  Rollover was an issue in past SUVs but appears to be less so today.

THUS, if you believe the above makes sense, then a smaller SUV has carved a niche for those who don’t need quite as much space and want a more fuel efficient vehicle, but still want some of the benefits offered above.. This help?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:13:19 pm by Alex_S »

richink

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2011, 08:24:17 am »
I wait with baited breath for Kia or Hyundai to mate the engine in this thing with a manual transmission on either this platform or the Optima/Sonata sled. That and a couple of years to see how it holds up, but I doubt there will be any issues as this company has very successfully shed it's previous image of low quality.

Some would say the last thing the marketplace needs is another CUV-type beastie but this is a great looking vehicle with phenomenal packaging.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:27 am »
Couple of things:

1. CUVs and height: a lot easier for getting kids in and out compared to a wagon. Wagons were the minivans from the 70s hence the stigma. Personally a wagon would be my ideal ride, but there are so few out there and none meet all of my criteria.

2. Not all CUVs have the same cargo capacity or interior volume. Utes like the RAV4 and Outlander have the most in this class at over 1,000 litres with rear seats up, which is even more than traditional SUVs like Grand Cherokee. But others have a lot less at under 800 or even 700 litres, so some have better and some have worse relative to SUVs.  For wagon references, the Magnum had/s 770 litres with seats up and the Legacy Wagon (previous gen) had/s 950 litres. I loved the Legacy wagon but we could not get a rear facing infant seat behind the passenger seat without the passenger being right up to the dash and kissing the windshield, the disadvantage of being on the older Impreza platform.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:59 am »
I wait with baited breath for Kia or Hyundai to mate the engine in this thing with a manual transmission on either this platform or the Optima/Sonata sled.

Bated breath is fine.  Just so long as you're not holding your breath...

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »
a local Kia dealer is getting in a 2012 Sportage SX in next week and is going to call me when it comes in...i sat in an nicely trimmed EX model and was really impressed...i will go take an SX for a drive and report back when i do...they are also going to let me know when the Optima SX comes in (in the next two weeks) as i want to take that out as well.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:36 pm »
it just came in...got the call today...White 2012 Sportage SX w Nav (likely the very model i would personally buy)...going to try and check it out Saturday morning...going to be a busy weekend, will try and update later in the day.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:11 am »
it just came in...got the call today...White 2012 Sportage SX w Nav (likely the very model i would personally buy)...going to try and check it out Saturday morning...going to be a busy weekend, will try and update later in the day.

It looks best in white, I think.  This could be an expensive Saturday morning for you.  ;)

Jaeger

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »
It looks best in white, I think.  This could be an expensive Saturday morning for you.  ;)

Jaeger
they have a nice looking sand colour (not on the lot though), but it too looked good in the brochure and online images.

not expensive at all...i won't be buying until February/March at the earliest...that is also the slowest selling period, so the deals are often best...i am hoping for a 0%/84 month deal, or as close to it as possible at that time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:11 pm »
Where I live I can definetly see the ground clearance issue beeing a deciding factor for buying a CUV rather than a wagon. We had record snowfalls last year and if you had, awd, snow tires....whatever, you were getting stuck everywhere. My neighbor has an Infinity G35X and theres a guy with a WRX further down the street, I had to push these guys a number of times. Personally, Id take an Audi A4, Legacy turbo or a Passat 4 motion before any cute-ute......if I lived somewhere else.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:39 am »
well, i took the vehicle for a drive (about 20 minutes)...power was good and linear, the ride was decent and i think the vehicle looks great...my only "concern" is the seat comfort...not in terms of "plushness", but with the amount of support near my knees...the seat lacks a "pitch" adjustment, so i couldn't seem to get that "just right" setting...perhaps it is something you "get used to", i don't know...it's kind of a shame, as it is about the only thing holding me back from putting it in top spot as "my next vehicle"...anyone else drive one and know what i am talking about here?...is it something you just get used to??...otherwise, it would be a dealbreaker for me, which is a shame, because other than that, it was perfect.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2011, 11:34:28 am »
well, i took the vehicle for a drive (about 20 minutes)...power was good and linear, the ride was decent and i think the vehicle looks great...my only "concern" is the seat comfort...not in terms of "plushness", but with the amount of support near my knees...the seat lacks a "pitch" adjustment, so i couldn't seem to get that "just right" setting...perhaps it is something you "get used to", i don't know...it's kind of a shame, as it is about the only thing holding me back from putting it in top spot as "my next vehicle"...anyone else drive one and know what i am talking about here?...is it something you just get used to??...otherwise, it would be a dealbreaker for me, which is a shame, because other than that, it was perfect.

I drove an EX Luxury last year and found the seats to be very comfortable.  Are the seats in the SX different than the EX Luxury?  I would definitely take it for a longer test drive and try once again to see if you can get the correct adjustment.  If you can't, I definitely wouldn't purchase it and try to "get used to it".
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
it has the same seats as the EX Luxury...i suppose it is possible i just didn't find that "magic sweet spot" regarding initial set up (i did only take a few seconds to adjust everything), but i don't recall noticing that both me on the Sonata Turbo i drove previously (in fact, i found it to be very comfortable), and it doesn't appear to have the "pitch" setting either...perhaps one issue is i have a lot of tightness (inflexible) in my legs lately, so that may be exacerbating the issue...i looked at the seat from the side while the door was opened and observed its angle as i moved it...when it is low (nearest the floor), it does have some pitch to it (front of the seat is up a bit)...as you move the seat up, it seems to "flatten" the angle of the seat...i may have had the seat too high, which meant it wouldn't offer as much pitch...when i mentioned this as my only "concern" on the vehicle, they offered to let me have the vehicle for the day so i can see how it would be to live with...i might take them up on their offer, but certainly won't bother until closer to when i would be ready to purchase.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »

Seat comfort is REAL important.  If you can't get comfortable sitting in one in the showroom and one a test drive, don't count on getting used to it.  I tend to find a comfortable position in most cars, but there have been some where I just couldn't get it to feel right.

Jaeger

madjak30

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 02:31:15 pm »
Wow, that's quite the thread...I wanted to adress a few of the comments...

As to the "snob appeal" of Kia as a brand...Kia is being marketed as the "younger" brand, so a sportier and more polarizing image is portrayed...if you are trying to impress your "friends" with your purchase, move along, there's nothing to see here...but the comments that a nearly $37K price is too high for a Kia?? really, have you priced out the Chevy Equinox?

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD  base $35,700(no boxes checked)
2.4L - L4 182Hp 172 lb-ft                    included
3.0L - V6 264Hp 222 lb-ft                    $1,725  (12.9L/100kms cty, 8.6L/100kms hwy...really?)
sunroof                                            $1, 095
sub total                                          $38,520
destination charge                             $1,495
Total (no tax)                                   $40,015

And I can't find any reference to ultrasonic sensors or a back up camera...and don't look at the Cadillac SRX (you have to go to the Luxury model to get a similar included content list...MSRP...$48,465...)

I'm not knocking the Chevy, I think it is a decent vehicle, but the pricing is higher, content is lower and the brand cache isn't any better...this is the new GM don'cha know??

And Ford Escape isn't much better...similar fuel and Hp ratings to the Chevy...price was over $35,000 before I got to add all the items the Kia comes with (I couldn't figure out how to add them...maybe not available)

As for the appeal of these "cute utes"...my wifey refuses to drive a minivan (not cool enough for her??) and I think the minivan is the only way to go if you have kids & stuff...I've got three kids, two dogs and don't even ask about stuff(man do I have stuff)..someone already mentioned the winter driving and lack of snow removal as being an issue (our city seems to have adopted the...spring will bring warmer weather and naturally remove the snow...theory on removal)...all I can think of is that the people that are not understanding the appeal of these live in a city that either doesn't get enough snow to stop a sedan, or their city actually clears the streets...either way, I don't live in that situation...

Anyway, I was going to mention a couple more things but the post window is ticking me off...so I'm done...

The only reason I am brining this vehicle to the front again, is that wifey wants a new CUV and I think this is the best value on the market...(I didn't know that they had added the turbo, we've been checking the Hyundai dealers...they don't know anything about the Kias...I guess)

Later.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »
honestly, if the Sportage SX has the Sonata Turbo Limited seats, i'd likely get it...i loved the vehicle itself, but couldn't quite get comfy in the seats...when i took my ET in for an oil change a couple of weeks ago, i sat in the Sonata Turbo Limited again just to see if i was imagining things...they were very comfortable.