Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sportage SX  (Read 21084 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sportage SX
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:04:49 am »

A powerful, yet fuel-efficient turbocharged four-cylinder engine puts more 'Sport' into the Sportage SX, reports Greg Wilson.

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:10:25 am »
Very attractive little unit.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:18:21 am »
Definitely one of the best small CUV's on the market today.  A few things I love is the turbo engine's output, the AWD is superiour to the old "slip then grip" set up, and the LED's (Audi inspired) day running lights that's only on the upper models.  Kia and Hyundai have really done a good job of making products that are as good if not better than the competitors.  It will be interesting in the next 5 years with all the other manufacturers trying to best Hyundai/Kia.  I really expect Mazda to do some good things with their upcoming Sky engines, especially the diesel.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:09 am »
They seem to be very popular around here. I see lots of SX on the road.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:22:38 am »
Very attractive little unit.

Agreed - easily best-looking in class, I'd say.  And with that turbo motor and the high feature content for dollar, a seriously impressive package overall.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:35:11 am »
Isn't the Sportage the "littlest" ute that Kia sells?  $36g?  Seems like an awful lot of money for a Kia. And my guess would be the Kia dealers won't budge on the price either.  Probably make you feel like they were giving up their first born to knock $500 off.  Knock it down to $29,000 and maybe...but who knows, the way things have been going for the Koreans, maybe they (the dealers) don't need to do year end clearance pricing.

Here we go again, someone complaining about the price of the highest trim of a vehicle. How original. You do realize that it starts at $22k, and that the majority of Sportage's sold will be of the EX trim, which sells for $27k, right?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:36 am »
Nice looking unit and that 2.0 L making that kind of power this year - 50% more than last year?! Has anyone dyno'd this motor yet? Reads like snake oil but dyno numbers don't lie.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:49:13 am »
Kev - you must be talking imperial gallons - best I ever reported here was 35mpg (US) which I recently bested on a trip to Niagara Falls earlier this week - 36mpg.  :)

Remember, is steady state cruise you are off-boost and basically running a 2.0l DI 4-pot.

$36k may seem a lot of coin, but you don't have to load it up to that price.  Pile the options onto a Tiguan and you're north of $44k before taxes.

Railton - it's been dynoed in the Sonata and is making as much power as Hyundai claims.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/dyno-tested-2011-hyundai-sonata-20t.html

Jaeger
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:12:43 am by Jaeger »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:15 am »
Nice looking unit and that 2.0 L making that kind of power this year - 50% more than last year?! Has anyone dyno'd this motor yet? Reads like snake oil but dyno numbers don't lie.
Railton

Yeah, wasn't it Hyundai that got caught in that whole "claiming way more HP than their engines actually made" thing a few years ago? On the other hand, after being caught once you'd hardly think the Koreans would do it again.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:57 am »
Railton

Yeah, wasn't it Hyundai that got caught in that whole "claiming way more HP than their engines actually made" thing a few years ago? On the other hand, after being caught once you'd hardly think the Koreans would do it again.

I dunno - was it?  They certainly wouldn't be the first - I seem to recall the same for Mazda and Ford.  But I don't remember such with Hyundai (but then I wasn't really paying much attention to the brand 4 or 5 years ago).

Jaeger

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:56 am »
I think the standards were a little bit fuzzy in those days, 10 years ago. Did'nt the SAE issued new standards then and a few manufacturers reduced HP claims?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:01 am »
Railton

I dunno - was it?  They certainly wouldn't be the first - I seem to recall the same for Mazda and Ford.  But I don't remember such with Hyundai (but then I wasn't really paying much attention to the brand 4 or 5 years ago).

Jaeger

Early Tiburon I believe... it was off by 6 or 7 hp I think.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:01 am »
Railton

Jaeger

Early Tiburon I believe... it was off by 6 or 7 hp I think.

Nah, it was a little more involved than just that

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news02/hyundai_power.html

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 08:59:27 am »

So, nearly 10 years ago then? About the same time Mazda had their issues with the rating for the RX-8? 

Jaeger 

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:35 am »
Same with the RX-8 - remember that debacle; dealers had to give owners cash back or some other incentive to make up for the lack of advertised hp.

This Sportage is really a great package all round, except for the below avg cargo capacity IMO.  On paper I think it trumps most if not all of its competitors. The thing with KIA is you except to save a few bucks due to name brand but at $37k a decision would have to be more based on vehicle vs vehicle and without bias it should win here, unless cargo was the top priority.

I'm trying to convince a buddy (not a car guy) in the market right now to look at Hyundai and Kia.  Last year I gave the same advice and he said he would never ever buy a Kia, even if it was the best car (vehicle) in the world b/c it was a Kia. This year I have been wittling him down and the ace card was mentioning Peter Schreyer the former chief designer from Audi. That turned his head. He is looking at the CR-V and Outback. The former has good finance and the latter is the preferred vehicle but too expensive. I was hoping this Kia would hit it home but at $37k it might not. He could step down a model but without that turbo engine its not going to look as an attrative alternative.

I wish there was more explaination on the side-to-side AWD torque transfer: is it actual torque transfer of their version of stability control studdering the brakes? And is that 50/50 lock an actual centre diff lock or improved rear torque transfer? Does it stay locked at all speeds or come undone like in the Ridgeline after 30km/h? The Outlander had a selector that was labelled 'Lock' for the centre diff, but it never locked the torque just increased the variable amount going to the rear wheels.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 09:07:37 am »

So, nearly 10 years ago then? About the same time Mazda had their issues with the rating for the RX-8? 

Jaeger 

Correct, back then you could 'rate' a motor without it in actual production form.  Some manufacturers were rating engines without A/C units attached, water pumps running, accessory belts, etc.  6 years ago the policies changed. Here is an article post in Car and Driver back then. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/06q2/horsepower_confusion_and_resolution-column GM seemed to be on par with their ratings and Toyota's were a little high, there was an attached image I cannot find, but this is why GM's 3.5L OHV V6 was re-rated ~211HP

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:41 am »
I was hoping this Kia would hit it home but at $37k it might not. He could step down a model but without that turbo engine its not going to look as an attrative alternative.

They might have been smart to offer the turbo in some lower trim levels - like Hyundai does with the Sonata - so that you can get the upgraded motor without leather and nav and such if you want to.

But hey, Hyundai doesn't even offer this motor in the Tucson, so Kia is a step ahead there.

Jaeger

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:34 am »
I really like the look both inside and outside of these.  I was intrigued when Greg mentioned in his article that the manual gearbox could be had in both LX and EX trim.  When I checked Kia's website it says it's only available on the entry level LX.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline hopsoid

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:52:03 am »
Here we go again, someone complaining about the price of the highest trim of a vehicle. How original. You do realize that it starts at $22k, and that the majority of Sportage's sold will be of the EX trim, which sells for $27k, right?

I'm so sorry...I will try not to offend again...I'll try to be more like...you.
OR
Yes, that's right, I did say something original didn't I.  Never cease to amaze myself at how I can call them right out of the air like that.  I'm f'in awesome.  First one to think of it.

Never said I didn't like it, just thought it was a little on the steep side of things.  Like paying $10,000 extra for a Vibe because it has a turbo and leather...  For my tastes, they should offer the turbo in the lower line(s).  I don't want nor do I particularly like leather, or sunroofs, nor do I need nav or a 12 speaker 4000 giga-watt stereo system.  I see the price, and it's just too much, and it's a Kia.  Something I suppose I need to get over, 'cause I do like this one.  If it (the turbo engine) were a $1000-1500 or so option on the EX (with the nice wheels), assuming cloth seats, and without the mandatory sunroof etc etc etc...I probably wouldn't :censor:.  I'd gladly pay $7000 less not to have heated leather and a built in GPS.

Kev - you must be talking imperial gallons - best I ever reported here was 35mpg (US) which I recently bested on a trip to Niagara Falls earlier this week - 36mpg.  :)

Remember, is steady state cruise you are off-boost and basically running a 2.0l DI 4-pot.

$36k may seem a lot of coin, but you don't have to load it up to that price.  Pile the options onto a Tiguan and you're north of $44k before taxes.

Jaeger

Yes, I'm an Imperial mpg guy.  You posted that pic where, when I did the math (as I recall), you were getting 42 mpg at 120 kmh - right?  Of course it could have been downhill (my kid, smartass, tells me don't believe everything you see on the internet dad.  We can get our truck to do the same by going downhill and taking a picture - Look!  30 mpg in an F150!) or with a tailwind, a huge tailwind...but I chose to believe you were getting an honest 42 instead.  Which is fantastic considering how much hp that thing has.  My car gets 28 with half the HP.
I wish my truck ran on 6 at cruising speed, it sure doesn't seem like it.  Unless you're willing to drive at 80 kmh everywhere you go.  Then it's real good on fuel.

This Sportage is really a great package all round, except for the below avg cargo capacity IMO.  On paper I think it trumps most if not all of its competitors. The thing with KIA is you except to save a few bucks due to name brand but at $37k a decision would have to be more based on vehicle vs vehicle and without bias it should win here, unless cargo was the top priority.

I'm trying to convince a buddy (not a car guy) in the market right now to look at Hyundai and Kia.  Last year I gave the same advice and he said he would never ever buy a Kia, even if it was the best car (vehicle) in the world b/c it was a Kia. This year I have been wittling him down and the ace card was mentioning Peter Schreyer the former chief designer from Audi. That turned his head. He is looking at the CR-V and Outback. The former has good finance and the latter is the preferred vehicle but too expensive. I was hoping this Kia would hit it home but at $37k it might not. He could step down a model but without that turbo engine its not going to look as an attrative alternative.

I've got your answer...right...here...'cept I said it first so that makes ME the biggest loser.  At least for now.  You're only 2nd place.  Which makes you the first loser...this is getting quite confusing, what happens if a 3rd person says the same thing...omg...I imagine they'll burn in hell!  

What in the world is wrong with you??

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:03:07 am »

What in the world is wrong with you??

This:

I used to work here.