Author Topic: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car  (Read 8459 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:16 pm »
Update:

One month of advertising and no real bites on the GTI (other than scammers and a couple trade requests that don't interest me)

Well that's interesting (disappointing for you).  I would've thought that car would be a hot commodity.  It is my perception that they tend to sell quickly around here.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »
Update:

One month of advertising and no real bites on the GTI (other than scammers and a couple trade requests that don't interest me)

Well that's interesting (disappointing for you).  I would've thought that car would be a hot commodity.  It is my perception that they tend to sell quickly around here.

I would have also thought so but sadly doesn't seem to be the case. Its not like the market is flooded with them. There are only 5 or 6 07-2009 GTIs for sale in NS. Mine is priced pretty aggressively I think that selling 20 K plus used cars is simply a tough deal around here. I know when I bought my GTI from the original owner he complained that he was flooded with test pilots ..young guys who while the market for a GTI could not get the financing. I was the exception being 40 with an available line of credit. Probably many in the market are going to buy new and string the payments out as ling as they can to get the monthly down.

I have been surprised that I didn't at least get a bunch of inquires ,lowball offers test pilots. Maybe why the dealer is interested. They can offer financing so they can sell for a price at or above what I want but still get the buyers a payment they can afford. A car is only hot if the people who want one can actually shell out the cash to get one.

There are Civic SI's up the wazoo with people looking for lease or finance takovers.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:00 pm »
Mine is priced pretty aggressively I think that selling 20 K plus used cars is simply a tough deal around here.

Well, you could do something crazy like make it the highest priced one.  Perhaps the aggressive pricing is leading people to think there is something wrong with it? 

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:05 pm »

Mine is priced pretty aggressively I think that selling 20 K plus used cars is simply a tough deal around here.

Well, you could do something crazy like make it the highest priced one.  Perhaps the aggressive pricing is leading people to think there is something wrong with it? 

Its not that aggressive  :rofl:. I ran it through our ACV system at work and it priced very close to what the "market value" of the car should be with a bit of pad because people just aren't happy unless they get a discount.

I'm quite certain there is nothing that would lead people to believe their were issues or that it was a rebuild etc. But hey what to I have to lose. There is a Lamob on Kijiji for 430K so maybe price it at 429 K negotiable?

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 08:35:05 am »
Bad luck strikes. Had an appointment to test drive the 3 today and finalize the deal. Car got sold yesterday  :-[

Back to the drawing board. On the bright side I did clean and wax the GTI becuase I wanted new pictures for the ADs so at least I have nice new pictures of my shiny car.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »
These days it is really hard to get a good deal on a decent used car around here in Newfoundland, I dont know about other provinces.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »
These days it is really hard to get a good deal on a decent used car around here in Newfoundland, I dont know about other provinces.

and explain WHY IS THAT................i tho't  ya would be brimming ov'r with Albertan MASSIVE TRUCKS............ :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
Sold to a foreign exchange student who obviously was given money to burn from his parents (not that there is anything wrong with that). As I thought its a select group that can/will buy 20K plus used cars (at least around here)

Now the hunt restarts but patience is the key word. The used car market simply sin't very big here and you need to closely watch things to catch a real deal.

Offline mmorriso

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »
phase one complete...nice work

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
Sold to a foreign exchange student who obviously was given money to burn from his parents (not that there is anything wrong with that). As I thought its a select group that can/will buy 20K plus used cars (at least around here)

Now the hunt restarts but patience is the key word. The used car market simply sin't very big here and you need to closely watch things to catch a real deal.

Good to hear you've passed hurdle #1.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »
There is a potential purchase now. Things have changed a bit and we are focused on getting a car for my wife that will replace the Maxima as the 2nd car next summer. At that time we will be in a position to buy another "main" car. I've been promised I can have a greater degree of freedom come summer.

Anyways really trying to stay below 9K including tax. Definitely want manual and since the car needs to be a main car for a few months it needs to have cruise for my work trips.

Drove this today http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Nissan-Sentra-2-0-S-6-speed-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ322648524

Turns out I know the owner through work. Its a lease return he recently bought but circumstances caused him to end up with an extra car. Its really clean. Service records Carproof though work etc all checks out. No big scratches etc. New (although Chinese) All season tires. I was surprised how much room was in the Sentra. You sit up a bit higher which my wife will like. Has all the basic features I need like an AUX in jack to hook up sat radio, cruise, AC. Shiftier is not Honda slick but its "ok" I didn't miss any gears. Power is adequate. Doesn't want to be revved to redline but doesn't seem to have any issue maintaining highway cruise. 120 KPH is right around 3K (I thought it might be less with 6th gear) but its really pretty relaxed and quiet. Feels like a bigger car. Handling is no more than OK. Soft suspension that soaks up bumps but between the high CG and soft suspension it doesn't make you want to push it.

My wife has to test drive it but may make an offer after that ..but its going to be pending a clean bill of health and in particular a full alignment check. Apparently there were quite a few 07-08 Sentras that had rear  alignment issues but the rear suspension is non adjustable. Lots of reports of people with these issues have 0 luck getting Nissan to fix it and ending up going to an alignment shop to have shims put in. No way I'm dealing with alignment issues. If that's not in spec upon purchase its a no go.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »
My wife has to test drive it but may make an offer after that ..but its going to be pending a clean bill of health and in particular a full alignment check. Apparently there were quite a few 07-08 Sentras that had rear  alignment issues but the rear suspension is non adjustable. Lots of reports of people with these issues have 0 luck getting Nissan to fix it and ending up going to an alignment shop to have shims put in. No way I'm dealing with alignment issues. If that's not in spec upon purchase its a no go.

That's a reasonable asking price. If the alignment is an issue, it might be worth getting a quote for the fix and using it to negotiate the price down. Since you're now looking in that general direction, it might be worth checking out Versa 6M hatches. Very practical and they go for decent prices.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 07:23:24 pm »
There is a potential purchase now. Things have changed a bit and we are focused on getting a car for my wife that will replace the Maxima as the 2nd car next summer. At that time we will be in a position to buy another "main" car. I've been promised I can have a greater degree of freedom come summer.

Anyways really trying to stay below 9K including tax. Definitely want manual and since the car needs to be a main car for a few months it needs to have cruise for my work trips.

Drove this today http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Nissan-Sentra-2-0-S-6-speed-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ322648524

Turns out I know the owner through work. Its a lease return he recently bought but circumstances caused him to end up with an extra car. Its really clean. Service records Carproof though work etc all checks out. No big scratches etc. New (although Chinese) All season tires. I was surprised how much room was in the Sentra. You sit up a bit higher which my wife will like. Has all the basic features I need like an AUX in jack to hook up sat radio, cruise, AC. Shiftier is not Honda slick but its "ok" I didn't miss any gears. Power is adequate. Doesn't want to be revved to redline but doesn't seem to have any issue maintaining highway cruise. 120 KPH is right around 3K (I thought it might be less with 6th gear) but its really pretty relaxed and quiet. Feels like a bigger car. Handling is no more than OK. Soft suspension that soaks up bumps but between the high CG and soft suspension it doesn't make you want to push it.

There were some recalls on these IIRC.  Make sure they were all done.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »

There were some recalls on these IIRC.  Make sure they were all done.

2 recalls 1 for brake master cyl and one for incorrectly positioned side air bags.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »

That's a reasonable asking price. If the alignment is an issue, it might be worth getting a quote for the fix and using it to negotiate the price down. Since you're now looking in that general direction, it might be worth checking out Versa 6M hatches. Very practical and they go for decent prices.

Whatever price I agree upon will included a clean alignment report. I won't be getting my own quote. I don't care how much it costs to get fixed ..if the owner can get it done at a deal good for him. As long as the alignment shows its in spec. Apparently the issue (if it exisits) requires shims for the rear axel since the rear alignment is not adjustable. Its got new tires on it so the only way to tell if this car is effected is to have an alignment done.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »
Found identical car with less KM and winter tires in Moncton. Offering price just went down.
http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Best-deal-2007-Nissan-Sentra-2-0-Berline-W0QQAdIdZ324686186  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17:04 pm »
Found identical car with less KM and winter tires in Moncton. Offering price just went down.
http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Best-deal-2007-Nissan-Sentra-2-0-Berline-W0QQAdIdZ324686186  ;D

This looks like a better car...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »
That ad SMELLS.  Proceed with caution.

As for the 2007 Sentra 2.0/6 speed; not a bad car.  Don't over think the "rear" alignment.  If it drives down the highway straight it's good enough.  Remember, it's a SENTRA.  ;D

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:13 pm »
That ad SMELLS.  Proceed with caution.

As for the 2007 Sentra 2.0/6 speed; not a bad car.  Don't over think the "rear" alignment.  If it drives down the highway straight it's good enough.  Remember, it's a SENTRA.  ;D

Realized that ad did not have cruise so its missing the conveinece package. Cruise is a must for me.

I had a nightmare with alignment on my Volvo. Living with that would ruin my enjoyment of any car. Its apparently not a hard fix but I simply want to buy a car that is right from the start not that i need to work to get it "right"

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »
Realized that ad did not have cruise so its missing the conveinece package

Ya, it was the BASE unit.  That and the insane limo tint and the liquid air freshner.  :nono: