Author Topic: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car  (Read 8462 times)

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »
Things have happened and decisions have been made. Once we complete our summer vacation trip next week my beloved GTI will be going up for sale. I bought it a very good price used but now its simply more car than I need and a bit of an extravagance. i used to do 1000KM per month for work and get mileage. Now I only travel about 1 time per quarter. It still have 1 year left on warranty and its a prime time to sell put some $ in the bank.

Our 2nd car is a 12 year old Maxima so obviously need to replace the GTI with something. Maybe I haven't thought over all the options so here goes:

Budget 12,000 plus tax. Yeah if something great was 12 2000 I'd stretch but I really don't want to go to 13 K .

2006 or newer
70000 km or less
Strongly prefer manual
Not boring is preferable but not a requirement
4 doors is a must
Hatch is preferable but not required.
Cruise is a must
Cannot be expensive to maintain (so no used BMWs, or Rx8s etc)
Cannot be a pig on gas
Will be used for some work/family trips over 400km so I'd prefer something that isn't a high rpm buzzbomb on the highway

Right now I'm thinking maybe an 07 Mazda 3 GS or GT might be the best fit. I've essentially eliminated GM/Chrysler. cars from the mix (except maybe an Astra)

Let the suggestions fly...I'm combing NS,NB and PEI ads as we speak but being in Atlantic is limiting (oh US is out on a 12 K car the cost of travel and importing makes it unlikely it would be worth it)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:32:22 pm »
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/pv/Used/all/all/manual/?lloc=Dartmouth%2c+NS&cty=Dartmouth&prv=Nova+Scotia&ctr=Canada&vpt=44.6161067761815%2c-63.6838619815201%2c44.7319883229648%2c-63.4668030036539%2c&prx=250&c2t=Car&yRng=2006%2c&pRng=%2c15000&oRng=%2c70000&hprc=True&st=1&rprv=False

Well by using this link loaded with your requirements from that great autotrader.ca site  ;D, I think you are on the right path.  The Mazda 3 and Astra immediately jumped out at me as well.  Other suggestions are:

-4 Door civic
-Ford Fusion I-4 Manual
-Matrix/Vibe Twins
-5 Door Rabbit (might make you too sad about giving up the GTI though)
-Subaru Impreza Wagon (my biased pick...oh look...here's an ad http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Subaru/Impreza/FREDERICTON/New%20Brunswick/5_10962550_20071123111825166/)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:15:43 pm by Mike »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:20:45 pm »
2004 - 2006 TSX 6 speed

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
I first thought of the Fusion, but it was introduced in 2006 I think, so it might be worth avoiding that year/model.

FWIW. Fusion has been pretty good from the get-go.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
Hmmmm....IS300 with a manual??  (we love ours!!)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »
2004 - 2006 TSX 6 speed

I'm only seeing high mileage 2004's (and a couple of 2005's) in that price range on Autotrader right now...  TSXs are fun-to-drive, economical and reliable (yes, I love mine, I'm biased), but maybe he's looking for something lower mileage.  Of all the years of the TSX, the (first year) 2004 is also the one with a few hiccups.

I rented a Ford Fusion SE this past summer out in the West because I heard it was fun to drive for its category.  I kept thinking something was wrong with my rental, or they're talking about higher line Fusions, because I really thought the opposite of the particular one I had.

07 Mazda 3 GS or GT might be the best fit.  I found it sporty to drive, with a nice interior.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:10:13 pm by Julie »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
How do I say this with offending the host, but that place you mentioned not so great on prices.  :)

TSXs are one of the most bullet proof used units on the market.  Just with normal servicing 300k km is not a problem so even picking a unit with 140k km is not an issue.  I just bought a 2004 auto, extremely clean, all records, winters, 1 owner, although I haven't received it yet, leather, loaded for $5500. wholesale with 140K km so 2LATE should be able to swing something in the range of 10K plus 1K in reconditioning.

When you think about it, the alternative is what was mentioned: civic et al, but that's TRANSPORTATION.  If you want a gratifying manual shift experience in a sweet car riding with a motor that you will not touch I am really at a loss for under or around 12k.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:45:58 pm »
How do I say this with offending the host, but that place you mentioned not so great on prices.  :)

TSXs are one of the most bullet proof used units on the market.  Just with normal servicing 300k km is not a problem so even picking a unit with 140k km is not an issue.  I just bought a 2004 auto, extremely clean, all records, winters, 1 owner, although I haven't received it yet, leather, loaded for $5500. wholesale with 140K km so 2LATE should be able to swing something in the range of 10K plus 1K in reconditioning.

When you think about it, the alternative is what was mentioned: civic et al, but that's TRANSPORTATION.  If you want a gratifying manual shift experience in a sweet car riding with a motor that you will not touch I am really at a loss for under or around 12k.

+1 on the TSX. I included the IS300 in this group as well.  Absolutely bullet proof and a powertrain renown for its toughness.  Ours now has 220,000kms on it, and IQ drives it HARD.  Only regular maintenance done, and has never failed to start or left us stranded.  Plus the unique sound, characteristics and TQ of an I6.  When it came down to it, it was either a TSX or an IS300 for when we were shopping.  And IQ preferred the much torquier I6 of the Lexus, so that's what she bought.  But you cannot go wrong with either.  Both solid, great used car buys.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:03:33 am »

+1 on the TSX. I included the IS300 in this group as well.  Absolutely bullet proof and a powertrain renown for its toughness.  Ours now has 220,000kms on it, and IQ drives it HARD.  Only regular maintenance done, and has never failed to start or left us stranded.  Plus the unique sound, characteristics and TQ of an I6.  When it came down to it, it was either a TSX or an IS300 for when we were shopping.  And IQ preferred the much torquier I6 of the Lexus, so that's what she bought.  But you cannot go wrong with either.  Both solid, great used car buys.

TSX is a nice car and I'd love to have a 6 speed one. But I live in Atlantic Canada folks. There is 1 count em 1 TSX manual under 15 K in Atlantic (both trader and kijjiji) Its got 160K on it. While I realize people propose it lasting to 300K I'm just not interested in my primary daily driver having 160 plus K on it. My 99 Maxima only has 150K on it.

I've long been an IS fan but good luck finding any IS in Atlantic let alone a manual.

I will expand my saved search now for TSX just for fun. Thanks for the idea.

I test drove an 06 Mazda 3 GT Hatch (yes I prefer an 07 or above with the front aitrbags) but it had only 44 K. Nice car loaded with leather. It is somewhat zippy with the 5 speed (although anything in that price range will seem slow compared to the GTI)  I've driven the GS also but a GT would be less of a step down from what I am used to. It needs a bit of cosmetic work and a new set of tires but if I can get into it for 10 K or so then with the work it needs I'd still be under my budget.

The lack of choice is frustrating here to say the least but you never know when the right car might come along

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:08 am »
Toronto is only a day drive... done it with only stopping for 45 mins. last year

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:14:28 am »
A 4 door GTI...   :stick:   ;)

Might be a little more than you want to spend though.  My first thought was a Mazda 3 Sport.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:30 am »
A 4 door GTI...   :stick:   ;)

Might be a little more than you want to spend though.  My first thought was a Mazda 3 Sport.

My GTI is a 4 door;-)

Its certainly not the layout of the car that impractical. Its actually maybe the most "practical" all around car I've owned. It can hall a family of 4, lower the seats an be a min wagon, is comfortable on the highway and can be a sporty car anytime.

What is not practical is having a 20 K plus car that requires premium gas, synthetic oil, fairly expensive maintenance etc that only gets drive around town and on maybe 10 longer trips a year. For that a 12K car that runs on regular gas, takes regular  oil etc and a bunch of $ put towards LOC/mortgage /bills is practical ..sadly not much for quoting scripture but in this case this about sums it up:
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Maybe when my kids get older I can go back to childish things again

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:56:40 am »
I had a 05 mazda3 gt. Got rid of it because of rust. You cannot properly fix it once it has started so look out for it. Other than that it was a good car. Also watch out for bad front bearings (2 set replaced), and rear suspension parts ($800 fix under warranty).

What about  a subaru impreza ,altima (4cyl), & accord (4cyl)?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:11:18 am by Factger »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »
For that a 12K car that runs on regular gas, takes regular  oil etc and a bunch of $ put towards LOC/mortgage /bills is practical ..sadly not much for quoting scripture but in this case this about sums it up:

OK, point taken. Forget the 5 year old Mazdas; rust buckets, not the best on fuel and will nickel and dime you.

Find yourself a loaded 2006 and up Civic.  With decent tires they handle remarkably well and will cost you little in long term repairs.  Work hard and you will find a good one @12k and in 5 years from now it will be worth 4.5K.  At which time you might be in a position to waste money again.  :) 

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »
For that a 12K car that runs on regular gas, takes regular  oil etc and a bunch of $ put towards LOC/mortgage /bills is practical ..sadly not much for quoting scripture but in this case this about sums it up:

OK, point taken. Forget the 5 year old Mazdas; rust buckets, not the best on fuel and will nickel and dime you.

Find yourself a loaded 2006 and up Civic.  With decent tires they handle remarkably well and will cost you little in long term repairs.  Work hard and you will find a good one @12k and in 5 years from now it will be worth 4.5K.  At which time you might be in a position to waste money again.  :) 

Sadly you may be right.

Still struggling with the concept of giving up pretty well all the joy of owning a car for not much in terms of immediate or even medium turn payoff. Not often one says "What a great drive I so enjoyed seeing my line of credit balance decrease by $200 this month. Can't wait to do it again next month.

Civic is definitely creeping up on the list if I can find an EX in my price range.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »
Quote from: articsteve link=topic=75272.msg 736596#msg 736596 date=1313781838

I guess AS, we are at the different part of lives then other people,  I keep a 2000 BMW ragtop around because I am to lazy to sell and paid the $900 insurance a year , because I would lucky to get 9gs  so I will just keep it use a couple times a month or I would rather give to my son son he can drop a manual tranny in it

I get a top of line truck for work so I can be comfortable, I sure do not want to drive a truck with shitty seats for a couple hours a day
SO to sell a good car to save a 8gs which in the end may cause me more headaches ( if I get a crap used car0 i would not dovit

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »
I've no idea what they go for used, but a CSX-S would fit the bill quite nicely, I think. Would require premium gas, though.

Otherwise, a Civic or even a Fit are great choices. :)

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:31 pm »
I've no idea what they go for used, but a CSX-S would fit the bill quite nicely, I think. Would require premium gas, though.

Otherwise, a Civic or even a Fit are great choices. :)
Never thought about CSX. 2.0l engine would be nice. I've added to my search as one of the rare things that might come up. Probably out of the price range but worth a look.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 12:30:59 am »
loaded Civic

I forgot about my '06 Civic (didn't have it for long).  It was an EX model.  It was fun to drive.

Mazdas & rust

Mazdas still rust?  Damn.

Trading in your GTI

Maybe you should reconsider.  Has it been reliable?  I know premium gas costs more and an 8K difference is still something, but would it be worth it if you really can't find anything decent?   :(