Author Topic: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car  (Read 8445 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: Time to "downgrade" help me choose a new to me car
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 04:12:25 am »
I suppose an Acura 1.7EL would work.  Should be easier to find.

Too bad a coupe won't work for you, since the RSX is a wonderful car....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »
I forgot about my '06 Civic (didn't have it for long).  It was an EX model.  It was fun to drive.

EX, TSX, current Bimmer .... great picks.

Mazdas still rust?  Damn.

I believe in 2010 MY they resolved the rear quarter panel sheet metal issue.  They had to do something.  It was getting ridiculous.  But typically with all things automotive the vast majority of buyers know nothing about the rust issue.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:36:18 pm by articsteve »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »
I suppose an Acura 1.7EL would work.  Should be easier to find.

I would suggest anyone looking at those, unless were taking in the 4K range just move on to the 2006 and up Civic.  Leave all that T-belt, water pump, rollers and tensioner to someone else.  The autos were junk, the seats are horrible.

As for the CSX, I doubt the current market price would justify the purchase over a loaded Civic.  Factoring in the cost of 91 octane, I'd say the fuel premium will be at least 30% over the 1.8 Civic.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 03:02:23 pm »
I guess AS, we are at the different part of lives then other people,  I keep a 2000 BMW ragtop around because I am to lazy to sell and paid the $900 insurance a year , because I would lucky to get 9gs  so I will just keep it use a couple times a month or I would rather give to my son son he can drop a manual tranny in it

Might as well keep it.  Although the insurance does suck HUGELY.  However, what motivates most ppl that don't need the cash to sell is storage issues.  These types of ppl often make the greatest sellers because they have excess money, hence they tend to keep their STUFF in excellent condition and they simply want it gone for the physical space it occupies so they let it go a very reasonable prices. 

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 03:10:36 pm »
+1 on 2006 up Civic, even though I'm not a fan of the 2 tier dash. Gas mileage is excellent and car is reasonably fun to drive. I really wanted a Mazda 3 on my last buy but I was uncertain about the rust issue. This week, I saw what appeared to be an '06 or an '07 with a significant amount of surface rust........I couldn't believe it; had to do a double-take.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

GTI ad has gone up  :( I anticipate it will take some time to sell. 20 K plus used cars require a certain buyer (one with cash or LOC not needing dealer finance)

I'm well aware of the Mazda 3 rust issues from work. However I still leave it open as an option should a I find a low mile well stored one that hasn't shown it YET. The car is very fin to drive and is less of a setp down than many other choices.

Based on suggestions above I've included the Civic in my search and might even stretch up slightly on my budget were I to find the right one. I'm pretty confident that the savings in running costs over the GTO would offset putting a little less $ back in the bank right way. an EX or EX-L would be ideal but I don't need leather but I'm a sucker for a sunroof and the less ugly wheels. A lot of the ads for 08-09 private sales are lease takeovers though boy people really jam themselves up don't they?

My 93 SI coupe is to this day the best car I have ever owned. Trying to use those positive memories to make me feel better I guess. Right up until I see 08 SI sedans with 100k on them selling for 14 000 and thinking hmm maybe 5-6 k in the bank is just as good as 8 k :stick:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 01:50:51 am »
Here's Consumer Reports recommendations for used cars in the $10-14k range. American pricing, so bear that in mind.
Personally, I'd say the best bets are the Civic and Corolla/Vibetrix. Decent size, good reliability and reasonable price for a relatively new, low mileage one.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 06:19:18 am »
^^Yea.  Forgot about that one.  What about the Matrix XRS?  6 speed manual, 180HP, ~8,000rpm??

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 08:21:07 am »
^^Yea.  Forgot about that one.  What about the Matrix XRS?  6 speed manual, 180HP, ~8,000rpm??

Matrix/Corolla are definite no.

I have had them for rentals and there is something about the relationship between the seating and steering position that just doesn't work for me. I've driven them on trips of 400km and up and spent hours trying to adjust things and I never could get comfortable. That plus the fact that they are boring  ;D  ( a friend had an XRS ...I don't mind making a Honda vtech scream but that Toyota transmission/engine combo did nothing for me)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
Something like this?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Infiniti/G/LOWER%20SACKVILLE/Nova%20Scotia/23_11424801_/

Fortunately that one is sold lest I be tempted into buying a 6 year old car with 100KM on it that I will end up spending $ on for brakes and premium gas etc. I have a real soft spot for Infiniti G series. I had a G35X as a rental for a week and always wanted one. If my wife finds out I'm looking at G35s I'm toast  ;D

Althought she now has here eye on an 07 Mazda 6 5 speed wagon. I say "but the gas consumption" she says "Oh but the space"and its still a 5 speed. Oh the fun of car shopping

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 11:27:33 am »
There's an E-Class on the recommended list!
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »
There's an E-Class on the recommended list!

Mercedes has been pulling up their socks finally, with the E class especially. I debated getting a 2008 E350 AWD wagon instead of the Outback. Used prices are pretty low, but reliability is decent. I ended up deciding on the more known quantity.

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 03:03:25 am »
Did you consider Mitsu Lancer?
Or does it fall under buzz bombers?  ;)

I've got one recently and I like it. It's a 2008 model, but was sold in 07. I got it with a bit over 65,000 Km. There is 1 year of Mitsu bumper to bumper warranty left. I paid 12.5K + tax and the dealer threw in some free stuff like tinted windows
Fuel economy has been good, 6.6 -7.1 l/100 km on the highway.
One makes a living by what one gets; one makes a life by what one gives

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:24 am »
Things have happened and decisions have been made. Once we complete our summer vacation trip next week my beloved GTI will be going up for sale. I bought it a very good price used but now its simply more car than I need and a bit of an extravagance. i used to do 1000KM per month for work and get mileage. Now I only travel about 1 time per quarter. It still have 1 year left on warranty and its a prime time to sell put some $ in the bank.

Our 2nd car is a 12 year old Maxima so obviously need to replace the GTI with something. Maybe I haven't thought over all the options so here goes:

Budget 12,000 plus tax. Yeah if something great was 12 2000 I'd stretch but I really don't want to go to 13 K .

2006 or newer
70000 km or less
Strongly prefer manual
Not boring is preferable but not a requirement
4 doors is a must
Hatch is preferable but not required.
Cruise is a must
Cannot be expensive to maintain (so no used BMWs, or Rx8s etc)
Cannot be a pig on gas
Will be used for some work/family trips over 400km so I'd prefer something that isn't a high rpm buzzbomb on the highway

Right now I'm thinking maybe an 07 Mazda 3 GS or GT might be the best fit. I've essentially eliminated GM/Chrysler. cars from the mix (except maybe an Astra)

Let the suggestions fly...I'm combing NS,NB and PEI ads as we speak but being in Atlantic is limiting (oh US is out on a 12 K car the cost of travel and importing makes it unlikely it would be worth it)

Used Hyundai Elantra, been top rated by CR for a while.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
Did you consider Mitsu Lancer?
Or does it fall under buzz bombers?  ;)

I've got one recently and I like it. It's a 2008 model, but was sold in 07. I got it with a bit over 65,000 Km. There is 1 year of Mitsu bumper to bumper warranty left. I paid 12.5K + tax and the dealer threw in some free stuff like tinted windows
Fuel economy has been good, 6.6 -7.1 l/100 km on the highway.

What does it rev on the highway at 120kph? When I say buzzbomb I refer to somnething that is high revving and noisy on the highway.

A lancer is not out of the question but there are not a lot of them around

Elantra? Too boring ..not a bad car just not my thing

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 12:39:13 am »
What does it rev on the highway at 120kph? When I say buzzbomb I refer to somnething that is high revving and noisy on the highway.

A lancer is not out of the question but there are not a lot of them around

Elantra? Too boring ..not a bad car just not my thing
[/quote]

I don't remember the exact rev # at 120 km/h. Somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 in 5th gear. Definitely higher when going up a long hill (lots of them here). Mind you, the red line is at 6,500, so anything under 5,000 should be fair game :)

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:50 am »
Update:
Have narrowed the field a bit: All must be manual- Mazda 3 GT (prefer HB but sedan is OK), Civic (prefer LX to have a sunroof) CSX (although they strain my mileage/price requirements) Suzuki SX4 (I prefer sedan wife like hatch)

Unfortunately this is going very slow because I've only been able to to a very limited amount of test drives or consider cars at a distance. I don't like doing test drives when I'm not ready to buy and am not going to expend effort researching distant cars that may be gone before I can buy.

The sale of the GTI is going even slower than anticipated. Despite being priced at the lower end of asking price and then a slight reduction this weekend I have received only 1 inquiry. I knew that the sale of a 20K plus used car would take time but I anticipated more interest. I guess I should be thankful I have not had time wasted by lowballers? Its tough to compete with 84 month 0% financing on new cars. Even though I am asking less all that matters to many is monthly payment.

I'll be test driving a CSX this week having fully disclosed my situation to the seller.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
Yeah, it's very hard to compete with 0% financing for 84 months.....

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:25:21 am »
Update:

One month of advertising and no real bites on the GTI (other than scammers and a couple trade requests that don't interest me)

Might be closer to a solution though. A friend who I have known for over 30 years is the manager at VW. He knows my car and how its cared for. He's willing to trade it on an 09 Mazda3 GT %speed and cut me a check for close to the amount that I wanted to put in the bank. As much as I am on my guard for dealers I have reason to trust this guy (at least more than most  ;D) A though test drive and inspection is in order but I can verify it accident free and mechanically sound. The rust thing doesn't scare me on a 2009 that much. I'll gain a year of warranty (manufacturer) and the odometer is basically the same as the GTI.

I'd give up power for sure, not sure how big a drop in the handling is yet. Obviously the feel is less solid the doors just don't have the same solid feel when you slam them. The main features I do not want to give up are there heated seats, sunroof and most of all factory HIDs. I was almost resigned to losing them as few cars less expensive than the GTI have them but the GT does (at least according to Mazda)

More updates to come